Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bring back Turbofans from the 80s aka BBS Turbofan covers for BBS RS/RFs, or OZs with the same covers.

They draw out hot air for brake cooling but also are smooth so that overall aero remains consistent.
This can also be done by taking direction wheels and making them truly directional. Design the pattern so that as it rotates, it helps draw the air out from around the outside lip where the cooling vanes on the rotor push the hot air.

It obviously wouldn't be as effective as purpose-built fans like you mentioned. But the small design tweaks would help reduce the high pressure area inside the wheel well. I'm working on a few designs now that are true directionals, but it'll be a while before they're done. I have one set done for my plaid (waiting for them to arrive now), but the directional design is just for aesthetics since it's an open spoke, and not for any type of additional cooling or pressure relief.

Yeah an interesting question is where can we get one that would cover particularly aftermarket wheels? Don't need these around town but on our long road trips which we take at least two or three a year of these would be a real Boon to efficiency and range. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Of course brake cooling on our cars is a bit of a moot point unless you're tracking them and then you wouldn't use Arrow covers obviously in any case on track
There is a company I've seen that makes custom hubcaps per your specs, but I can't attest to their quality, and I would be more worried about them scratching the aftermarket wheels more so than giving a bit of added occasional efficiency.

This can also be done by taking direction wheels and making them truly directional. Design the pattern so that as it rotates, it helps draw the air out from around the outside lip where the cooling vanes on the rotor push the hot air.

It obviously wouldn't be as effective as purpose-built fans like you mentioned. But the small design tweaks would help reduce the high pressure area inside the wheel well. I'm working on a few designs now that are true directionals, but it'll be a while before they're done. I have one set done for my plaid (waiting for them to arrive now), but the directional design is just for aesthetics since it's an open spoke, and not for any type of additional cooling or pressure relief.

There is a company I've seen that makes custom hubcaps per your specs, but I can't attest to their quality, and I would be more worried about them scratching the aftermarket wheels more so than giving a bit of added occasional efficiency.

I designed and printed prototype turbofans for my MTechnica Aero wheels back when Memoryfab was still making wheels.
It was in the testing phase and was slated to go into production but we ended up pulling the plug. The fans would have also fit BBS RS and RFs as well.
I designed a few sets of 3 piece wheels for them over a decade ago at this point.

Reactions: Sam1
I designed and printed prototype turbofans for my MTechnica Aero wheels back when Memoryfab was still making wheels.
It was in the testing phase and was slated to go into production but we ended up pulling the plug. The fans would have also fit BBS RS and RFs as well.
I designed a few sets of 3 piece wheels for them over a decade ago at this point.
What did you do for fasteners? That's where my main curiosity would be - if you have a centerlock hub, it's not as big of a job.

Did you use longer studs and secure the fan with a second set of nuts on top of the load bearing lugnuts, or was it secured with snap fasteners like a traditional hubcap?

What did you do for fasteners? That's where my main curiosity would be - if you have a centerlock hub, it's not as big of a job.

Did you use longer studs and secure the fan with a second set of nuts on top of the load bearing lugnuts, or was it secured with snap fasteners like a traditional hubcap?

Easiest is always a center locking center cap. We had made what was essentially a long treaded center cap that would spin into the center original wheels. The center cap would extend past where the face of the turbofan would sit. This would allow locking rings to then be spin in place holding the turbofan down. It is very similar to how the original turbofans were held in place except our "cap" is much taller.

RS turbofans are held down in a similar fashion with the center cap tightened into place:
13337405474_90989dc5de_b.jpg

Easiest is always a center locking center cap. We had made what was essentially a long treaded center cap that would spin into the center original wheels. The center cap would extend past where the face of the turbofan would sit. This would allow locking rings to then be spin in place holding the turbofan down. It is very similar to how the original turbofans were held in place except our "cap" is much taller.

RS turbofans are held down in a similar fashion with the center cap tightened into place:
13337405474_90989dc5de_b.jpg
That's awesome!

Reactions: buckets0fun
Yep they are hyperdipped satin black - I did them while the wheels were on the car and took about a day to get 4-5 coats on them and lasted a while until I got new wheels. Still looked fresh after 6-8 months. Here’s a pic after the 7 month mark and center caps. Note these are with the Tein’s installed - H&R’s had too much of a gap in the rear for me on stock 19’s. View attachment 971676
OEM + looks great!

Reactions: canasion35
My new setup:

PLM lift kit 1.75".
Breyton Avalanche 9.0x19 with 45 offset front & rear.
Spacers per side 31.5mm front and 40mm rear.
Kleber Quadraxer 3 255/40R19 all season tyres front & rear.

Attachments

• 20240119_171227.jpg
    20240119_171227.jpg
    865.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 20240119_171257.jpg
    20240119_171257.jpg
    841.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 20240119_171400.jpg
    20240119_171400.jpg
    756.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240119_171336.jpg
    20240119_171336.jpg
    761.4 KB · Views: 51
Honest thoughts only - I feel the red volk stickers are too much and make the car a little rice…leave em on or take em off?! 🤡View attachment 1017435View attachment 1017436
Man your car looks so good. I say leave them on. They are nice accents in the sea of black, adds a more race flavor vs. rice. I had the same wheels in Matte BLACK on my previous car Honda Civic Type R, so I'm used to the JDM goodness. Oh side tone that rear Maxton diffuser is so sweet.

Reactions: canasion35