Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air At The Supercharger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is that nitrogen was a fad and has pretty much gone away. I do not see the green valve caps they were using to indicate nitrogen anymore.
Yes, we can ALL carry our own compressor around. I hope to not have to use my Tesla optional, still in the wrapper. Should my car ever fall into the hands of a collector, he will be pleased to find it.
~Larry

Oh is that why Costco uses those green valve caps? to indicate nitrogen fill? I never knew that, and just assumed those ugly green things were just deeply discounted costco stock.

I must say, I bought a portable compressor as well but have never used it in 1 yr 10 months of ownership. Pretty happy with whatever Tesla is putting in to the tires.

If you want something a little beefier you could try Amazon.com: VIAIR 85P Portable Air Compressor: Automotive it has decent ratings and still uses the cigarette adapter. A straight forward on off switch with a sturdier handle would be nicer than the two above.
As a note for anyone looking, this is a FANTASTIC compressor. The construction is very solid. I had used mine constantly at the track when tinkering with tire pressures. I got a ton of use out of it. Very reliable. The only negative is that the chuck is screw-on, but it does provide a good connection that way. It's hard to get too excited over something like an air compressor, but it does a hell of a job.

Air at the Supercharger would be nice, but I usually just use this VIAIR whenever I need it.

Sorry Steve - I spent many years studying and teaching chemistry. For all practical purposes the size is the same. If you want details,
http://tinyurl.com/oz8c3be

As has been said, the only benefit measurable by a normal human for using nitrogen is the the financial interest of the person selling the nitrogen.

Huh? From the very article you linked ...

O2 "permeates" approximately 3-4 times faster than does N2 through a typical rubber, as is used in tires, primarilybecause O2 has a slightly smaller effective molecular size than does N2.

I hope this helps clarify why O2 permeates faster through rubber than does N2 and a major aspect of why it is a good idea to significantly reduce the amount of O2 used to fill tires by replacing most of the O2 in air with enriched N2. Since N2 permeates through the tire rubber more slowly than would O2, using enriched nitrogen instead of air for tire filling contributes to better maintenance of the proper inflation pressure for the tire. Better pressure maintenance contributes to reduced tire wear, so that tires last longer and tire replacement costs are reduced.

Thanks for the confirmation.