Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioner *really* loud

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 Model X air conditioner suddenly got *really* loud a few weeks ago. It cools just fine. If I turn off the compressor and merely run the air, it is not loud. It is only loud when the compressor runs.

I found a few threads about loud AC. The threads generally conclude that it is normal and not a problem as long as it cools. I'm not convinced.

I've owned the vehicle for nearly 4 years. I've never had a problem with the AC or with AC noise until now. The AC has never been this loud. Something changed.

I've made an appointment with my local service center but they are so overbooked that the appointment isn't for 6 weeks. Ugh.

Would love to hear from anyone experiencing loud AC. More than just the "normal loud." Where the noise suddenly became much louder and now sounds like an airplane engine.

Reactions: Falcon73
There's a radiator upfront used in the AC system. That radiator could have become clogged with debris, dead leaves etc. It would negatively affect the efficiency of your cooling, which might mean it needs to work harder to achieve the same effect as before. On model 3s I've seen guides on how to manually clean it, and I've done it on my car with success. I don't know how to do it on an X... Might be something to look into, that wouldn't cost anything to "repair".

• Informative
There's a radiator upfront used in the AC system. That radiator could have become clogged with debris, dead leaves etc. It would negatively affect the efficiency of your cooling, which might mean it needs to work harder to achieve the same effect as before. On model 3s I've seen guides on how to manually clean it, and I've done it on my car with success. I don't know how to do it on an X... Might be something to look into, that wouldn't cost anything to "repair".
That's a brilliant suggestion. I'll take a look today to see if the radiator is clogged.

2018 Model X air conditioner suddenly got *really* loud a few weeks ago. It cools just fine. If I turn off the compressor and merely run the air, it is not loud. It is only loud when the compressor runs.

I found a few threads about loud AC. The threads generally conclude that it is normal and not a problem as long as it cools. I'm not convinced.

I've owned the vehicle for nearly 4 years. I've never had a problem with the AC or with AC noise until now. The AC has never been this loud. Something changed.

I've made an appointment with my local service center but they are so overbooked that the appointment isn't for 6 weeks. Ugh.

Would love to hear from anyone experiencing loud AC. More than just the "normal loud." Where the noise suddenly became much louder and now sounds like an airplane engine.
What was the outside ambient temperature? If is really hot, the A/C really screams, especially when supercharging. I could hear my 2018 easily at 500 yards from the vehicle.

Another possibility is if your cooling fan under radiator/condenser is not working, AC will create much higher pressure n eventually shut itself off if not cooled enough. Its not much of a problem when you driving due to natural air flow but stationary it should be very obvious.

What was the outside ambient temperature? If is really hot, the A/C really screams, especially when supercharging. I could hear my 2018 easily at 500 yards from the vehicle.
500 yards yowsers!

It happens no matter the outside ambient temperature. It happens during a hot day and it happens at night when it has cooled down. It happens while supercharging, when driving, or when stationary in the garage.

also, re-read your post, since u say it sounds like an airplane it could actually be coming from cooling fan
possibly something got stuck there or cracked/miss-aligned?
you'd have to remove the undercover to see the fan, not sure if its visible through suspension opening...

Good if you can see it... On the model 3 you need to remove some plastics from the frunk as there's ducting in front.
On the X I can see what I believe is the radiator by looking through the front grille. There is some black plastic that blocks the view (see picture #1). I turn on the AC and the the plastic rotates out of the way, exposing the radiator (see picture #2).

The loud noise starts as soon as I turn on the AC. Even if the car has been sitting since yesterday in a 80 degree garage. So I don't think it's related to the fans working harder to cool due to a clogged radiator.

Attachments

• 20220805_144537[1].jpg
    20220805_144537[1].jpg
    269.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 20220805_144844[1].jpg
    20220805_144844[1].jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: brainhouston
also, re-read your post, since u say it sounds like an airplane it could actually be coming from cooling fan
possibly something got stuck there or cracked/miss-aligned?
you'd have to remove the undercover to see the fan, not sure if its visible through suspension opening...
Good suggestion. I assume the cooling fan operates independently of the AC? The noise happens only when the AC is on. As soon as I turn off the AC (either by powering off all climate, or by turning off the compressor by pushing the A/C button) the noise stops immediately.

Good suggestion. I assume the cooling fan operates independently of the AC? The noise happens only when the AC is on. As soon as I turn off the AC (either by powering off all climate, or by turning off the compressor by pushing the A/C button) the noise stops immediately.
yes and no, i believe its triggered by temperature and/or pressure on the high side of the AC system. In hot temperatures its most likely will always come on right away unless u driving
it does sound like its ur AC compressor thou, cause fan takes few seconds to start up n wind down so u would hear change in sound/noise...
Here's another data point. I turn on the AC with fan speed 1, the noise is lower. Turn the fan speed up to 2, the sound goes up, both in intensity and frequency. Up to 3, a little louder with slightly higher frequency, etc all the way up to 11.
this actually make it sound like its your cabin blower that causing the noise :)

Another possibility is if your cooling fan under radiator/condenser is not working, AC will create much higher pressure n eventually shut itself off if not cooled enough. Its not much of a problem when you driving due to natural air flow but stationary it should be very obvious.
Good thought. There is no difference in the noise between driving versus stationary. The noise starts the moment I turn on the AC, before anything has had a chance to heat up or over-pressurize.

Reactions: brainhouston