Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air conditioning fails after installing 2018.26 3bbd9fd firmware

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
This morning I got notified in my Model S that new firmware was available. I set a time to install a little later, and then at midday drove the car around town to do errands.

I noticed the force of the air coming from the A/C vents was way less than half of normal, even when set to 11. Car interior got very hot in the sun even with A/C set to 11. Turned A/C off then back on, turned off compressor then back on, switched from recirc to outside and back to recirc—nothing helped. I barely have any air coming out of the A/C anymore! (Yes, I emailed Tesla Service.)

Has anyone else noticed this problem?

First thing to always try is rebooting. And many of us always reboot after a firmware install. We find it fixes many issues. So, try that and see. Of course, could be a coincidence and something really broke!

And emailing may get you an answer in a week. If you want something faster, I’d call national support, but even they seem to be bogged down these days.

Nothing to do with the update on my end but recently my AC has not been blowing much air. I tried turning the temp up to say 75deg and it seems to do better. I think it was freezing up. Tesla said they need to look at it.

Nothing to do with the update on my end but recently my AC has not been blowing much air. I tried turning the temp up to say 75deg and it seems to do better. I think it was freezing up. Tesla said they need to look at it.
I think mine is freezing up too.

Airflow drops to nothing, even with fan setting at 10.

If I pull into the garage under this condition and toggle the AC off but leave fan, etc on. Within a few minutes I have a large puddle under the car.

UPDATE:

Following everyone's advice, I went out to the car with the intention of rebooting. Look what I found:

tesla-ac-water.jpg

Big puddle under the car. I *never* have puddles under the car--ever.

So I got in, pressed the brake pedal to wake up the car, and turned the A/C on to 11. Aaaaaaannnnd... the usual screaming wind tunnel of glorious frigid air stared coming out of all vents.

Odd, this has never happened in 85K miles and 5 years of owning the car. I guess there's a first for everything.

At least I can call off Tesla Service until the next car hiccup. Thanks, all! :)

Reactions: Shock-On-T
Firmware 8.1 (2018.26.3) air conditioning is working fine (88 outside), but I found a charging cable warning on the screen upon entering the car. We never removed the charge cable before or after the up date.
Update:
We drove the car for about 120 miles and the Auto Pilot has greatly been improved. It follows the lane makers better, less exit dodging, smoother acceleration and the regen aggressiveness has been improved!
The 'Apply pressure to the steering wheel' nag, only came on twice.
The comments about the air condition does bring up one point, I have noticed that the front grill vents did not open when the car turned on the cooling during charging. Lots of fan noise but the grill vents never opened.

Update:
We drove the car for about 120 miles and the Auto Pilot has greatly been improved. It follows the lane makers better, less exit dodging, smoother acceleration and the regen aggressiveness has been improved!
The 'Apply pressure to the steering wheel' nag, only came on twice.
The comments about the air condition does bring up one point, I have noticed that the front grill vents did not open when the car turned on the cooling during charging. Lots of fan noise but the grill vents never opened.
Same here. Tesla diagnosed bad louvers and they were replaced. Now they open while supercharging and I can finally sit in a cool cabin at the same time!

Firmware 8.1 (2018.26.3) air conditioning is working fine (88 outside), but I found a charging cable warning on the screen upon entering the car. We never removed the charge cable before or after the up date.
I have never ever removed the charging cable when updating. The car stops charging and then restarts.

And for about the tenth time to various people, there is NO 2018.26.3. It's 2018.26. Look at your app or car again. :D

upload_2018-7-27_11-14-8.png

I have never ever removed the charging cable when updating. The car stops charging and then restarts.

And for about the tenth time to various people, there is NO 2018.26.3. It's 2018.26. Look at your app or car again. :D

View attachment 320781

Teslafi says otherwise -

Software version 2018.26.3 be4b11e was just detected on a Tesla Model S 100D with Autopilot 2.5 hardware in England United Kingdom. The highest previous version was 2018.26.2 6341863. You were alerted per your settings on TeslaFi.com.

Teslafi says otherwise -

Software version 2018.26.3 be4b11e was just detected on a Tesla Model S 100D with Autopilot 2.5 hardware in England United Kingdom. The highest previous version was 2018.26.2 6341863. You were alerted per your settings on TeslaFi.com.
And I know that. And that was after all this. And that is a new firmware that IS 2016.26.3. And I’m actually the one that started that thread for THAT firmware in the Model S forum. :D

The issue before was that the hashcode for 2016.26 happens to start with 3 and a few people were seeing that as ‘point three’ when it wasn’t. Context and timing are everything.

Hope that clears it up.