Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Reduced DC FastCharging/Supercharging rate may be reduced -Error Help

unknownR

Jun 28, 2021
Vancouver
So I just completed an update on my car and the "Louvers" on the Driver side opened while the car was updating. However, as soon as I touched them, they closed. Once the update was complete, I took a drive and the AC message was gone. AC worked for 20 mins or so. Not blowing super cold air, but some cold air. However, I can hear that super loud fan working. Soon after, message popped up again and AC stopped working. My appointment has also been pushed back two weeks until July 29th. Car not drivable as too hot. No loaner. Sad panda.
Hi @Ghosty
Keep taking 'bug reports' too every time you get an error message on the dash, because supposedly it helps the engineers see what is happening. What we found is that when we took the car into the SC they couldn't reproduce the error because the thermal test they do is insufficient for intermittent mechanical failures. The manager at the SC said these bug reports are very helpful to them.

Reactions: Ghosty

unknownR

Jun 28, 2021
Vancouver
Hi @Ghosty
Keep taking 'bug reports' too every time you get an error message on the dash, because supposedly it helps the engineers see what is happening. What we found is that when we took the car into the SC they couldn't reproduce the error because the thermal test they do is insufficient for intermittent mechanical failures. The manager at the SC said these bug reports are very helpful to them.
Also take pictures of the louvers to show them what is happening.

Marlon

Oct 15, 2019
Thunder Bay
I had the same error message (air conditioning reduced...) and drove 1400 km to Toronto to the nearest service center for diagnosis/repair, and was told that there were O rings on the AC line that were leaking refrigerant. O rings were replaced and refrigerant was added. Message hasn't come back but air conditioning still doesn't work - air is dehumidified but not chilled very much. I entered a new service request and was told that I'd have to take it back to Toronto (i.e. another 2800 km trip). Maybe it's the louvers so I will try a reset... Like others have mentioned, Tesla service could be much better.

At any rate, OP might have a leak in the AC line like mine had. Good luck!

Ghosty

Apr 28, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Had exact same problem happen today. Dropped off at the sc will let you know what happens.
I am currently experiencing a nightmare with Tesla Service. They started off with a 400+ estimate. I just got a call today - making it the "third" update on repairs and they've reached close to 2k in repairs. First it was the Louvers causing that AC issue. Then my 12v battery died. Car was brought into service center. They now claim AC Compressor is out, 12v Battery needs to be replaced, and just got a call about "shavings" in the AC unit. Worst part of all this, they had this misguided and outright incompetent employee call me, despite her atrocious attitude, to explain this this finding.

This is really just turning into a rolling snowball of problems they are finding.

P85_DA

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 25, 2015
CA
Had same error message at around 65k miles and was failed AC compressor around $2k to fix …month later the new compressor failed and was replaced as warranty (one year part warrranty) now at 149k miles

Reactions: njhtran

njhtran

Jun 11, 2020
Temecula
It sounds reasonable for a Tesla. If I took a Toyota Avalon to the dealership for ac compressor replacement I imagine it would be around $1300 and Mercedes would be about $2k

Gagans94

Aug 12, 2021
California
I had this same issue yesterday. I called Tesla and told them about what was going. The person on the line told me to completely power off my Tesla and leave it turned off over night and in the morning the error should go away. I followed their instructions and this morning the “air conditioning reduced” error was gone. Hope this helps.

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
The person on the line told me to completely power off my Tesla and leave it turned off over night and in the morning the error should go away.
How, exactly were you told to do this? In my experience, after using the "power off" button through the MCU, sitting, getting up, opening a door, closing door, etc, all seem to "turn it back on."

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
Roll down windows, exit car, close doors, reach through the open window to get to the touchscreen controls? :p

You can tell I've got extra time on my hands lately. Gotta close the browser window and step.. away .. from the computer..

• Funny
Reactions: mxnym

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
Roll down windows, exit car, close doors, reach through the open window to get to the touchscreen controls? :p

You can tell I've got extra time on my hands lately. Gotta close the browser window and step.. away .. from the computer..
No, you need more time. You forgot that you need to leave a weight in the seat (or maybe the seatbelt buckled?) in order for the MCU to stay on so that you can turn the car off.

Harvey Danger

Mar 2, 2021
The Pacific Northwest
I thought you could just tap the screen and it wakes up. Or just reach in and press on the seat and then tap it. Or I guess reach all the way down to the brake pedal and then tap it. Or plug in the charging cable and then tap it. Seems like there are ways to wake it up while standing outside an open window. Anyway I swear I've actually done this somehow.

Ok *now* I'm stepping away. No really. ;)

mxnym

Mar 9, 2018
Bloomington, IN
I thought you could just tap the screen and it wakes up. Or just reach in and press on the seat and then tap it. Or I guess reach all the way down to the brake pedal and then tap it. Or plug in the charging cable and then tap it. Seems like there are ways to wake it up while standing outside an open window. Anyway I swear I've actually done this somehow.

Ok *now* I'm stepping away. No really. ;)
Rats! You're right. For some reason, I incorrectly anticipated that the temporary action that turns the screen back on would also turn the power back on even though it was completed before the power was turned off.

Reactions: Harvey Danger

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC