Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Conditioning Reduced DC FastCharging/Supercharging rate may be reduced -Error Help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just completed an update on my car and the "Louvers" on the Driver side opened while the car was updating. However, as soon as I touched them, they closed. Once the update was complete, I took a drive and the AC message was gone. AC worked for 20 mins or so. Not blowing super cold air, but some cold air. However, I can hear that super loud fan working. Soon after, message popped up again and AC stopped working. My appointment has also been pushed back two weeks until July 29th. Car not drivable as too hot. No loaner. Sad panda.
Hi @Ghosty
Keep taking 'bug reports' too every time you get an error message on the dash, because supposedly it helps the engineers see what is happening. What we found is that when we took the car into the SC they couldn't reproduce the error because the thermal test they do is insufficient for intermittent mechanical failures. The manager at the SC said these bug reports are very helpful to them.

Reactions: Ghosty
Hi @Ghosty
Keep taking 'bug reports' too every time you get an error message on the dash, because supposedly it helps the engineers see what is happening. What we found is that when we took the car into the SC they couldn't reproduce the error because the thermal test they do is insufficient for intermittent mechanical failures. The manager at the SC said these bug reports are very helpful to them.
Also take pictures of the louvers to show them what is happening.

I had the same error message (air conditioning reduced...) and drove 1400 km to Toronto to the nearest service center for diagnosis/repair, and was told that there were O rings on the AC line that were leaking refrigerant. O rings were replaced and refrigerant was added. Message hasn't come back but air conditioning still doesn't work - air is dehumidified but not chilled very much. I entered a new service request and was told that I'd have to take it back to Toronto (i.e. another 2800 km trip). Maybe it's the louvers so I will try a reset... Like others have mentioned, Tesla service could be much better.

At any rate, OP might have a leak in the AC line like mine had. Good luck!

Had exact same problem happen today. Dropped off at the sc will let you know what happens.
I am currently experiencing a nightmare with Tesla Service. They started off with a 400+ estimate. I just got a call today - making it the "third" update on repairs and they've reached close to 2k in repairs. First it was the Louvers causing that AC issue. Then my 12v battery died. Car was brought into service center. They now claim AC Compressor is out, 12v Battery needs to be replaced, and just got a call about "shavings" in the AC unit. Worst part of all this, they had this misguided and outright incompetent employee call me, despite her atrocious attitude, to explain this this finding.

This is really just turning into a rolling snowball of problems they are finding.

I had this same issue yesterday. I called Tesla and told them about what was going. The person on the line told me to completely power off my Tesla and leave it turned off over night and in the morning the error should go away. I followed their instructions and this morning the “air conditioning reduced” error was gone. Hope this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: dark cloud
Roll down windows, exit car, close doors, reach through the open window to get to the touchscreen controls? :p

You can tell I've got extra time on my hands lately. Gotta close the browser window and step.. away .. from the computer..
No, you need more time. You forgot that you need to leave a weight in the seat (or maybe the seatbelt buckled?) in order for the MCU to stay on so that you can turn the car off.

I thought you could just tap the screen and it wakes up. Or just reach in and press on the seat and then tap it. Or I guess reach all the way down to the brake pedal and then tap it. Or plug in the charging cable and then tap it. Seems like there are ways to wake it up while standing outside an open window. Anyway I swear I've actually done this somehow.

Ok *now* I'm stepping away. No really. ;)

I thought you could just tap the screen and it wakes up. Or just reach in and press on the seat and then tap it. Or I guess reach all the way down to the brake pedal and then tap it. Or plug in the charging cable and then tap it. Seems like there are ways to wake it up while standing outside an open window. Anyway I swear I've actually done this somehow.

Ok *now* I'm stepping away. No really. ;)
Rats! You're right. For some reason, I incorrectly anticipated that the temporary action that turns the screen back on would also turn the power back on even though it was completed before the power was turned off.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
Does anyone know what the fault code THC_w0148 is?

I have tried all of the resets.
2016 Model X, 90D, 7 seater.
20220220_130140~2.jpg

Mine would not activate the fans, louvers, or thermal expansion valve, only the compressor until that ac reduced notification shuts it off until the next reset. Tapping hard on the interior temperature sensor under the model s cup holders in the center console, made it all work. I suspect a bad sensor or it has a loose connection.

Does anyone know what the fault code THC_w0148 is?

I have tried all of the resets.
2016 Model X, 90D, 7 seater.
View attachment 772787
Hi Yukio, I think this is the same message of AC is reduced cannot supercharge. (translating Norwegian to English). My guess on a model X it is the same issue with the A/C for the cabin and battery charging system being linked. Take a bug report because this can be tricky for the Service Center to figure out otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight. Our car can't handle heat - we get the message below:

View attachment 679152
Nearly 3hours after being parked it's blowing hotter air than outside air!!
View attachment 679158
We have a 2017 75D 6 passenger Model X that struggles with A/C when it's hot out. Fortunately we live in Vancouver where the climate is quite mild year round. However this past week we had a heat wave with temperatures getting to 42C (108F) and while driving 25miles on street roads and a short bit on the freeway, as we entered the supercharger parking lot the a/c slowly changed from blowing cool air to blowing hot air while we were waiting for a supercharger spot. After charging at the supercharger I got the message above. We called Tesla roadside and they said the car is fine you just don't have A/C and you are safe to drive (ie it won't explode -it is a jumbo lithium battery on wheels after all). So at 108F we turned back home, as fortunately the next day we had an appointment to take the car in for a squeaky upper arm assembly repair.

Tesla service here in Vancouver says the AC system is functioning as designed and No trouble is found! However at the 20bay supercharger no one else had this problem. Does anyone know how to get Tesla service to understand/diagnose the problem? We told them to go drive it in the heat for an hour - and bring a 2nd ICE car to pick them up before they melt, but that didn't go well!
I have read on the Model S forum about this issue and Louvers that don't open causing this problem, however on the ModelX I cant see these louvers and there is little info.
Air Conditioning Reduced
Louvers Model S
Tesla service here in temperate western Canada can't diagnose this problem. I wish I could see the Thermal Management screen, and we're afraid to take this on a road trip anymore. We may have to use the technique at the end of this link: Awesome Cybergus

Thanks
Had a similar experience with a 22 MYP. No error message but A/C struggled to keep cabin cool. Guess is a majority of the cooling was sent to the battery. The SC cable was very very hot when I disconnected. All in all have been very disappointed with heatpump as it struggles with anything about 91F