Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Filter Cover - Torx Screw or Other?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
May depend on when yours was manufactured. I've seen a couple posts saying the MY has the same torx screw as the M3, but I just did mine today and it is definitely a hex head bolt, though I'm not sure what size it was.

Even in the MY? I know the M3 is, but one video suggested it's different in the MY.

I just did my (US) 2018 M3 and 2021 MY today... the T20 did work on the MY after using on the M3, and I didn't even think about it, but I didn't look closely to see if there was an actual difference. That said the T20 on the MY was much easier to use due to the redesign of the lid :)

Last edited:
i just ordered a couple of these for our 3 and Y. Hopefully it will make it easier in the future

Standard tools on 18xxx VIN Model Y. Standard size ratchet for hex cap screw. Tesla was out-of-stock of the regular coil cleaner, and used Simple Green coil cleaner. It has no feeding tube, but that didn’t stop progress. Fill with foam and shove the new filters in immediately. Stink is gone without the chemical smell from the standard coil cleaner. Model Y much simpler with no special tools & better access than a 100xxx VIN Model 3.

Last edited: