Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Lift for rear coils of Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm the guy who was waiting for Smart Air Suspension. Was hoping to see the promised "tied to AWD" bit that Elon mentioned.... but I'm done waiting. So AWD with coil springs for me, I guess. So now I need a way to adjust the rear of the suspension to carry more crap.

Here's the thing: when I use a car, I use the hell out of a car. Meaning that I load it to and often beyond capacity. I often hang stuff off the back (don't make me show you camping pics of my Prius!). And in stock, static suspension form, this makes the rear of any car sag... and I hate that. Yes, I realize that adding bags inside of the coil springs doesn't magically increase the GVW of the car, and I fully grasp the realities of carrying more gear than the car was designed for. This post is not seeking advice on that. I'm just trying to make safer and more comfortable all the bad things that I'm going to do regardless.

I'd like (need?) a way to adjust the height of the rear suspense of the car. Has anybody done this with a Model 3 yet? I've done it with three cars in the past, and it's the BOMB. I'm almost positive I'll need this for the Model 3.

For those who are not familiar, here is my page from doing it for my 2002 Rav4EV.
Rav Air Lift

I think they sell aftermarket air suspension kits don't they?
Yes, that's exactly what I've installed in three other cars in the past... as shown on my Rav4EV page. But the aftermarket kit needs to fit the application. And let's just say that Airlift doesn't yet list "Tesla Model 3" in their list.

Note that the kit I used was NOT spec'ed for my car. It was for the gasoline version of my car, and ended up working perfectly in the EV.

• Informative
Reactions: Fusion
In the meantime, I've gone ahead and asked my own specific questions.

Whoever gets an answer first wins!

Here's hoping for good news. This product has worked so well for me, for so many years in the past... I think it'll be great. If they make something that fits.

Well... Airlift got back to me. Says they haven't measured yet, but they're sure they can fit it. Just need the measurement of diameter inside of the coils, and height (when parked level and empty) from top to bottom inside of the spring. So basically, they need to know how big the bag needs to be.

And I'll get right on that, when my AWD arrives any day now...

In the meantime, anybody else have this measurement?

spring-measurement.jpg

I have a Nov 2016 Model S75D without Air Suspension. We are all too often scraping the front bumper on parking curbs. I would LOVE to be able to raise the suspension 1/2 to 1 inch so that we are able to park without scraping the underside, as well as going over the toooooo many speed bumps that are so popular around here.

As a side note, our Tesla is in a body shop right now having the underside parts replaced due to driving over a curb (don't ask how - that is a sore point with the wife). Anyway, I think that having the car raised an inch could save a lot of undercarriage damage. Not sure how much efficiency we loose on freeway driving, but it would improve city driving.

Airlift makes an inflator kit too. You put a small compressor in the system, and install the switch in the dash. You can adjust the height while under way. So basically doing manually what the "smart" air suspension does somewhat automatically.

Looks like a simple option for load leveling. I was going to put these in my Lincoln MKX and I wish I did. It was a bigger job than I had time for since on that car you have to remove the half shafts to get the spring out and remove the bump stops then reassemble.I load that car up and I really needed helper bags sometimes.

These are the measurements I got:
inside diameter: 4 3/4"
inside height: 7 1/4"

Thanks Lektron. Wow look at you with a 2017....
Any chance that you plan to purchase AirLift bags?

While I've loaded the car fully with people and cargo, I've not had a droopy rear problem as I've had with other cars. BUT.... I also don't have a hitch installed yet, and haven't carried anything off the back. That's when the issue really show up.

I have had issues with handling when the car is fully loaded with people and luggage. So much so that on a cross country trip we ended up renting a second car to carry baggage the rest of the way. I'd like to avoid that.

I definitely want to get a set, though it looks like the valve would have to run down and the air line across/over the control arm because there is no opening on top...I want to see if someone in the area would do the install for me, its not easy to work on using just ramps which I have.