Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension failing on the same day someone hit me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Just wanted to get some thoughts on whether the two are related or purely coincidence. I had my 2016 S parked in a parking lot (backed in). When I came out, I saw damage on the rear panel (passenger side) between the wheel and bumper.

It was driving fine after that. I drove probably around half an hour since and when I was almost at home, I heard this loud sound (like something broke). Then I heard a hissing sound. I thought I punctured a tire but turns out it was the air suspension.

The insurance now wants to know if the air suspension damage is due to the accident or not. This kind of determines where the car goes first (insurance adjustor or Tesla service center). I think it's just a coincidence that the suspension broke on the same day as I got hit but wanted to tap into the collective experience of the forum. The reason why I said it's a coincidence is that the damage on the body seems very superficial. No major dents to the body, just scrashes. And since the accident happened at a parking lot, the car who hit me couldn't have been driving that fast.

Car was just towed away to the SC right now. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Attachments

• IMG_7591.JPG
    IMG_7591.JPG
    481.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    280.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7587.JPG
    IMG_7587.JPG
    220.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7581.JPG
    IMG_7581.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 132
I think it's possible it's related. (Air suspension failures have traditionally been pretty rare for the Model S over the last 4+ years).

I agree it's best to let the insurance company know that you don't know, and let the service center figure out the cause for the failure, and see if the accident could have caused it. Everything else is just speculation.

Reactions: mspohr
I'll update the thread once SC tells me the reason. Air suspension failure does seem less common especially in a <3 mo old car. Tow truck guy said he's never seen it before.
You say there was a "hissing sound". Did you try changing the ride height using the center screen controls and see if the car raised evenly on all 4 corners, or was there an error message on the screen when you attempted to change the ride height?

I'm wondering what evidence you noticed to indicate the "front suspension broke" other than the hissing sound.

You say there was a "hissing sound". Did you try changing the ride height using the center screen controls and see if the car raised evenly on all 4 corners, or was there an error message on the screen when you attempted to change the ride height?

I'm wondering what evidence you noticed to indicate the "front suspension broke" other than the hissing sound.
There is a one inch gap between front bumper and the ground. The tires are also almost touching the wheel well. Changing the height of the suspension doesn't change the height. it sounds like the hose to the suspension is cut off. The pump would turn on (even when car is off) to level it but nothing happens.

There is a one inch gap between front bumper and the ground. The tires are also almost touching the wheel well. Changing the height of the suspension doesn't change the height. it sounds like the hose to the suspension is cut off. The pump would turn on (even when car is off) to level it but nothing happens.
Wow. Your shock has collapsed! Lack of air pressure seems like it would explain that change.

It will be interesting to see if Tesla thinks that happened because of the accident or not. As many have noted, your body damage at the right rear looks minor and the impact location is a long way away from your left front shock. Very odd.

I think it's possible it's related. (Air suspension failures have traditionally been pretty rare for the Model S over the last 4+ years).

I agree it's best to let the insurance company know that you don't know, and let the service center figure out the cause for the failure, and see if the accident could have caused it. Everything else is just speculation.

They might be rarer on model S but they are fairly frequent and expensive on other brands such as Lincoln and Land Rover

View attachment 196322 Here's a picture of what it looks like

Some people pay good money to drop their rides that low. Just gotta get some wheel hub spacers to push your wheels out wider to complete the look. ;-)

Glad to hear your service center did you a solid and took care of the air suspension issue as a warranty repair. As Todd mentioned, air suspension issues have been exceedingly rare.

Good luck convincing Tesla that it's a warranty issue when you have bumper damage showing an obvious incident. I don't think you'll get far with Tesla.
Service advisor said the two damages are unlikely related so they will fix the suspension problem under warranty. Seems service is pretty good so far. I'll know more about what exactly broke when I pick up the car next week.