Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension - Is Very High When Parked OK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveVa

2012 Sig Perf #236 VIN#484; 2018 P100D; 2021 Plaid
May 31, 2011
Northern Virginia
Whenever I go to Mom's house I need to raise the Model S to make it up the driveway without scraping the rear. Is it OK to leave the car in "Very High" mode when parked overnight or should it be lowered and reraised when departing?

Whenever I go to Mom's house I need to raise the Model S to make it up the driveway without scraping the rear. Is it OK to leave the car in "Very High" mode when parked overnight or should it be lowered and reraised when departing?

i leave it in very high every night in my garage, no problem. my impression is that overnight the height doesn't change very much if at all, but it does give the rotating arrows at system startup each morning and reverifies the actual suspension height. seems to work very well. no sinkage like we heard from one or two users early on...

I do the same. I've only ever seen sinking twice but it was with older firmware versions. I'm betting its fixed now, but I still check before I leave each day just in case. Tesla told me it takes 45 minutes before it sinks one level down, but that was a couple months ago before I updated firmwares.

Same here, I leave mine on Very High or High overnight and no sinking during the night. Don't tell my wife but I leave on High when she is in the car when we get home because Very High is too high and with her being a bit shorter, it is harder for her to get out of the car :) Fortunately, she does not read this forum.

I guess that this is one of the benefits of the 2 high settings.

It has probably been discussed on another thread, but what is your routine as you approach your home, when do you switch to very high? When you get to your driveway, or a block earlier? And do you stop first or change the setting while still driving?

I change to Very High while waiting for our gate to open – so it's an ingrained habit to hit the HomeLink control and then switch to suspension. You can't go more than a few miles per hour in Very High before you'll get a warning and the suspension will automatically be lowered to High.

... and I leave my suspension up in the garage as well, so I won't forget it raise it before cresting the top of our driveway the next morning.

I use Very High to get into my driveway without scraping. I leave it that way when I park and it's fine when I leave in the morning.

I did have one day when the car beeped upon startup and said that the suspension was too high. I suspect that I had set Very High when I pulled in in relatively cold weather, and then my warm garage caused it to raise a bit more. The car re-leveled itself just fine.

I use Very High to get into my driveway without scraping. I leave it that way when I park and it's fine when I leave in the morning.

I did have one day when the car beeped upon startup and said that the suspension was too high. I suspect that I had set Very High when I pulled in in relatively cold weather, and then my warm garage caused it to raise a bit more. The car re-leveled itself just fine.

yeah, i've seen 'susp too high' warning a couple times too.. it's fine, just being a computer, doesn't ever seem like a real issue. i find that it throws that error but once you roll forward it realizes it's fine and it goes away. never paid it much mind. nice to know it's looking out for things though.

apropos this thread, i would really like it if the suspension could be linked to homelink, or gps (although that is less precise), so that when i open the garage the suspension will raise, or at least a macro that would take me to the suspension page when the homelink window auto opens... it would mean a couple fewer button presses, and at this point, like other posters, i routinely raise to very high while i'm sitting at the garage every time. so. and i do wait till i'm stopped in front of the garage because as pointed out, you can't get very far in very high, it drops to high after 9mph. you'd have to take the last block to your house veeery slowly.. :)

I'm fairly certain you get that message when the suspension is set to Very High and you exceed 4.5mph, even briefly.

huh, maybe i just don't see it. but pretty sure most times i'm on very high and start to drive it just lowers without a message. also, pretty sure the thresholds are 10mph for very high to high, then 20mph for high to standard. that's what it seems to be doing. i think jack mode may cancel at 4.5mph, something like that. at any rate, don't see the too high warning with any regularity and it has just fixed itself without much ado when it does pop up. i'm satisfied that it's monitoring itself accurately and don't mind seeing that warning every so often. my assumption was that the system was on very high, then i restarted the car (for instance the last time i saw it was after a corner store i stopped in, put it in vhigh to get into the parking lot, went in and came back out, started car) while it was still in very high and it pressurized the suspension at system startup only to find out it was already very high and managed to travel slightly higher than spec for a second.. s'ok with me. all systems go. i feel like audi gets the benefit of trickle down tech from porsche, tesla gets trickle down tech from space x... lol! i like it!

anyway....