Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Air Suspension no longer lowers at highway speeds (FW update v5.8)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, January is hours away and in the mean time we have had 2 software downloads (good ones -- thanks Tesla).

I'd expect it at the end of the month rather than the beginning, assuming it happens in January. There are supposed to be many significant changes in 6.0 so I'd rather not be the first one.

I don't know whether I agree with this or not. The automatic lowering of available current in FW 5.8.4 designed to prevent the car from drawing too much power on "suspect" (re: shoddy) circuits seems like a good safety move on paper. However, several reports indicate that it may be over-sensitive and reducing charge power on circuits that received full power before the update. The real-world implications of this are that many charge locations could see a reduction in available power (and, thus, increased charging time). Hopefully, Tesla will remedy this soon because I doubt people are going to redo their wiring just because the car says there might be a problem. Personally, I'd rather see this fixed than the suspension since there is more widespread effect (noticeable increase in charge time versus minor change in high-speed dynamics).

"There is a more widespread effect"??? I am having difficulty understanding your meaning with this statement. The "Smart" suspension fiasco affected EVERY Model S that has air suspension and was not applied for safety reasons (according to Elon). The power fluctuation update has affected a reportedly relative few vehicles. One could assume that many of these vehicles might have voltage fluctuation problems and that this update will notify owners of a potential safety issue.

"There is a more widespread effect"??? I am having difficulty understanding your meaning with this statement. The "Smart" suspension fiasco affected EVERY Model S that has air suspension and was not applied for safety reasons (according to Elon). The power fluctuation update has affected a reportedly relative few vehicles. One could assume that many of these vehicles might have voltage fluctuation problems and that this update will notify owners of a potential safety issue.

Looking back, "widespread" was not the right choice of words, as every car with air suspension which updates to FW5.8 will have the lowering issue. However, what I am arguing is that the possible over-sensitivity of the charging rate limiter is a more serious issue (and has a more detrimental effect on the Tesla ownership experience) than the suspension issue, even if fewer cars are affected. Having the charging rate cut by 25% at random charging locations will make planning a long trip (one of the key factors in my decision to purchase a Model S was its range) a real chore, as you won't be able to accurately plan your charging because you won't know how fast you will charge at a given location.

Please keep in mind that I am not against the charge-reducing feature in principle. It just sounds like it may be a bit over-sensitive in its initial release and is limiting the charge where there is no actual safety risk. As I said in my previous comment, I hope Tesla can refine this feature to weed out any false positives. IMO, a possible unnecessary 25% reduction in charging rate trumps the car not lowering at highway speed.

Looking back, "widespread" was not the right choice of words, as every car with air suspension which updates to FW5.8 will have the lowering issue. However, what I am arguing is that the possible over-sensitivity of the charging rate limiter is a more serious issue (and has a more detrimental effect on the Tesla ownership experience) than the suspension issue, even if fewer cars are affected. Having the charging rate cut by 25% at random charging locations will make planning a long trip (one of the key factors in my decision to purchase a Model S was its range) a real chore, as you won't be able to accurately plan your charging because you won't know how fast you will charge at a given location.

Please keep in mind that I am not against the charge-reducing feature in principle. It just sounds like it may be a bit over-sensitive in its initial release and is limiting the charge where there is no actual safety risk. As I said in my previous comment, I hope Tesla can refine this feature to weed out any false positives. IMO, a possible unnecessary 25% reduction in charging rate trumps the car not lowering at highway speed.

We don't know that it is over sensitive. Has anyone put equipment on the circuit to see exactly what is going on?

It is a pain right now, in 2 years with the supercharger network nearing completion it won't matter for trip planning.

If it's your home charger, get it checked by the utility or an electrician.

We don't know that it is over sensitive. Has anyone put equipment on the circuit to see exactly what is going on?

It is a pain right now, in 2 years with the supercharger network nearing completion it won't matter for trip planning.

If it's your home charger, get it checked by the utility or an electrician.

You're right, it's still early. The firmware hasn't been out that long. I think I'll start a thread to measure just how many false-positives we're dealing with.

Superchargers won't cover the entire planet, or even the entire continent. Here in Canada coverage will be minimal at best (even long-term) so I don't see how that will help.

Having the charging rate cut by 25% at random charging locations will make planning a long trip (one of the key factors in my decision to purchase a Model S was its range) a real chore, as you won't be able to accurately plan your charging because you won't know how fast you will charge at a given location.

Well, yes and no. I've had several instances (pre 5.8) where the charging would work for about 15 minutes and then the UMC would go red. Sometimes on receptacles that worked previously. With luck there will be other charging spots in the RV park. I've also found it helps to reduce the amps by one or two. just a small reduction doesn't affect the charging speed much and seems to make the typical RV Park electrics happier.

Basically, if there aren't any SCs, then you need to have a backup location for each charging stop.

Well, yes and no. I've had several instances (pre 5.8) where the charging would work for about 15 minutes and then the UMC would go red. Sometimes on receptacles that worked previously. With luck there will be other charging spots in the RV park. I've also found it helps to reduce the amps by one or two. just a small reduction doesn't affect the charging speed much and seems to make the typical RV Park electrics happier.

Basically, if there aren't any SCs, then you need to have a backup location for each charging stop.

Agreed. But we don't need to compound problems that may already exist by adding flaky software to the mix.

Superchargers won't cover the entire planet, or even the entire continent. Here in Canada coverage will be minimal at best (even long-term) so I don't see how that will help.

I actually do believe that one day superchargers will cover the entire planet , in fact replacing every single gas station in the world. It's inevitable really. Even the day we have 1000+ mile range EVs we'll still need some superchargers because our homes won't be able to provide that kind of power to "refuel", or at least not as quickly. Still will need them for giant road trips.

I think the percentage of people driving 1000 miles in a single shot is pretty close to zero. I don't expect 1000 mile battery packs any more than I'd expect a car to have a 1000 mile gas tank. After 400-500 miles of pack range returns are exceedingly diminishing. Besides, we should be Hyperlooping by then.

I think the percentage of people driving 1000 miles in a single shot is pretty close to zero. I don't expect 1000 mile battery packs any more than I'd expect a car to have a 1000 mile gas tank. After 400-500 miles of pack range returns are exceedingly diminishing. Besides, we should be Hyperlooping by then.

We don't see 1000-mile gas tanks because they are limited by how much fuel they can physically fit in a passenger car-sized area. Batteries are virtually limitless in where new discoveries could lead. In 50-years, we might have the technology for a 1000-mile battery the size of a smartphone. They will not be commonplace, I agree, for the reasons you listed, but they will be available for those that want them.

Hyperloops won't help those not traveling between two adjacent cities or those traveling further than 1000 miles. Self-driving cars are much more likely to fit that niche.

a real chore, as you won't be able to accurately plan your charging because you won't know how fast you will charge at a given location.
Even bigger chore is when the car stops charging because of a ground fault or shot breaker.
And I won't even mention that F word ...
Raising alarm when voltage is not 'clean' is the right way to go. Before a problem can be fixed, it must be detected first.

We don't see 1000-mile gas tanks because they are limited by how much fuel they can physically fit in a passenger car-sized area.
I have 66 liter tank in my diesel car. It gives me ~600 miles range. 100 liter tank would fit in my car just as well, maybe at the expanse of a bit of boot space. Easily doable.