Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airbags didn't get deployed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's worth asking Tesla about it. But if the accident smoothly absorbed it, it may not have needed it.
I had a similar accident in a Jeep, I was probably doing 25-30 and no air bag went off.
Airbags are for pretty serious impacts. If you are fine, it judged correctly.

Creep or no creep. People must learn to lightly apply the power until they know all is correct.
I have no idea if this was the case here, but when going against a moderate slope, the car has a strong tendency to roll downhill as soon as the brake is released, including when you apply any pressure to the go pedal. It's much harder to find the sweet spot on the accelerator between rolling forward and lurching backwards. Not impossible to finesse, but definitely much harder, and increasingly so as the slope increases.

I was definitely in the "it's easy to finesse camp" before I learned this lesson the hard way (though not nearly as hard as OP :( ) and promptly turned on creep.

I won't go so far as to say that everyone needs to use creep, but it's certainly not quite as simple as "just finesse the go pedal" in all real-world conditions.

I have no idea if this was the case here, but when going against a moderate slope, the car has a strong tendency to roll downhill as soon as the brake is released, including when you apply any pressure to the go pedal. It's much harder to find the sweet spot on the accelerator between rolling forward and lurching backwards. Not impossible to finesse, but definitely much harder, and increasingly so as the slope increases.

I was definitely in the "it's easy to finesse camp" before I learned this lesson the hard way (though not nearly as hard as OP :( ) and promptly turned on creep.

I won't go so far as to say that everyone needs to use creep, but it's certainly not quite as simple as "just finesse the go pedal" in all real-world conditions.
Have you tried using the Hill Hold feature by pressing the brake pedal in all the way before pressing the accelerator?

when going against a moderate slope, the car has a strong tendency to roll downhill as soon as the brake is released, including when you apply any pressure to the go pedal. It's much harder to find the sweet spot on the accelerator between rolling forward and lurching backwards. Not impossible to finesse, but definitely much harder, and increasingly so as the slope increases.
In my 4+ year experience driving Teslas, I find it much easier to maintain position on a slope of any pitch using the accelerator pedal (and with creep off, I have never used it from Day 1 of ownership) compared to all the gasonline cars I have owned in my life (over a dozen).

Yes, it takes practice. But it didn’t take long to learn. And I can do it on steep San Francisco hills.

In my 4+ year experience driving Teslas, I find it much easier to maintain position on a slope of any pitch using the accelerator pedal (and with creep off, I have never used it from Day 1 of ownership) compared to all the gasonline cars I have owned in my life (over a dozen).

Yes, it takes practice. But it didn’t take long to learn. And I can do it on steep San Francisco hills.

That was also my thought until I got myself into trouble after a very long day doing a 4-point turn in a stupidly narrow alley that has a steep slope side-to-side, and other cars around leaving me less than 6 inches of clearance in certain spots (this is my normal routine for backing into my garage - whoever designed the pod of townhouses I live in clearly hates cars larger than a breadbox). I haven't and still don't have any problem using just the go pedal to keep from rolling on steep Seattle hills, many of which are comparable to those in SF, with or without creep.

I'm definitely not saying that anyone who doesn't use creep is dangerous or fooling themselves or anything like that, I was just pointing out that it's not quite so black-and-white as creep never being useful if you know how to drive well. I turned creep on because I have an unusually stupid parking arrangement at my current place, and creep helps reduce the risk of an issue there. For my situation, it's a useful safety feature.

That said, the whole "limit acceleration at slow speeds when you're near something" feature in the release notes (which my previous car had) would have significantly reduced the damage or prevented the collision at all, and I was really happy to see that they added it.

It actually doesn't look too bad, is the FWD damaged or intentionally open? Airbags would have destroyed much of the interior and made for a much larger repair bill. The bumper and reinforcement of the frunk too the brunt of it, should be a fairly straightforward repair.

Reactions: brkaus