Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aircon Vent Closure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep the aircon set to auto, usually around 21 degrees.
Setting to auto seems to always blow the air through the long vent under the wooden dash trim.
When my Wife is in the passenger seat she complains about this blowing at her, but there seems to be no way to close the vent on either side of the car.
If we move the air to blow at the window, or down to our feet, then it doesn't stay at auto and keeps blowing at the chosen fan speed, which isn't very satisfactory.

Has anyone got a solution to this issue?

My wife hates air blowing at her face, but she just swiped the screen direction controls and is happy with the air blowing away to the left hand side. TBH, I'm not sure exactly where she directed the air, as I've not looked at how she's set the passenger side, but I think she may have swiped close to fully down and fully left on the screen. If it wasn't tipping down with rain right now I'd go out and try to take a screen shot of the settings. I'm pretty sure we just leave it on auto, as I think the only thing I've touched since picking the car up has been the temperature setting on the driver's side.

We've tried pointing the air in different directions, as well as setting the temperature on both sides of the car to be different to see if it slows the rate of propulsion, but to no satisfactory outcome. I really can't understand why there isn't an option to close off one sides vents as you can do in a traditional ICE vehicle.

How do you do this - my wife also hates this almost to the stage were she refuses to go on long journeys :eek:. I have though about trying to block it with something on the passenger side?

First world issue hey :oops:
I'm going to be suffering the same problem form next week so if anyone else has a solution I'll be eternally grateful. me and the missus always have vastly different air con levels. tricky with only 1 vent

Last edited:
I'm going o be suffering the same problem form next week so if anyone else has a solution I'll be eternally grateful. me and the missus always have vastly different air con levels. tricky with only 1 vent
Have you discounted the dual climate function and being able to point the air in different directions for driver and passenger?

How do you do this - my wife also hates this almost to the stage were she refuses to go on long journeys :eek:. I have though about trying to block it with something on the passenger side?

First world issue hey :oops:

I'm going o be suffering the same problem form next week so if anyone else has a solution I'll be eternally grateful. me and the missus always have vastly different air con levels. tricky with only 1 vent

Still raining here, but I asked her and she says she just swiped the air flow streams so (in her words) "they were curvy and off to the left hands side". I'll try and see if I can take a screen shot of the air flow screen as she's set it, as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

I'm pretty sure we've just left it on auto, and haven't fiddled with the fan speeds at all. It is set with the link between left and right not set, so the left and right are independent, and she has sometimes changed the temperature on her side.

She's very fussy about air blowing in her face, and one of the first things she asked when we started driving home on collection day was how to turn the vents off. Once she'd found that she could just swipe and move the air as if controlling it via her iPad she seemed happy enough, and hasn't ever mentioned it since.

Every other car I've owned she's always played around with the vent settings, asked me to turn the fan speed down, or whatever, so I can only assume she finds the Tesla arrangement OK now. It'll be very subjective, though, and we're all different. I like cold air hitting smack in the middle of the face . . .

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
Still raining here, but I asked her and she says she just swiped the air flow streams so (in her words) "they were curvy and off to the left hands side". I'll try and see if I can take a screen shot of the air flow screen as she's set it, as soon as the weather clears up a bit.

I'm pretty sure we've just left it on auto, and haven't fiddled with the fan speeds at all. It is set with the link between left and right not set, so the left and right are independent, and she has sometimes changed the temperature on her side.

She's very fussy about air blowing in her face, and one of the first things she asked when we started driving home on collection day was how to turn the vents off. Once she'd found that she could just swipe and move the air as if controlling it via her iPad she seemed happy enough, and hasn't ever mentioned it since.

Every other car I've owned she's always played around with the vent settings, asked me to turn the fan speed down, or whatever, so I can only assume she finds the Tesla arrangement OK now. It'll be very subjective, though, and we're all different. I like cold air hitting smack in the middle of the face . . .
I'm the same, i like a steady cooling flow in the face. The other half always shuts her vents

On one of my rummages on Thingiverse (3D printing site) I did come across one design for a sliding flap device to block sections of the air vent for passengers who might not want any air flow.
Of course I can't find it now and you'd have to get it printed yourself too :(

There is a thread about this very issue in the Model 3 section. A few people are 3D printing things that block the dash vent to appease spouses who don't like direct airflow.

You mentioned your system coming out of automatic mode when you adjust the vents... it should remain in auto regardless of airflow direction, but it will come out of auto if you deselect the dash vents entirely. Try putting the system in full auto, then adjusting the airflow direction of the dash vents.

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Wife does not like face vents. But after a recent 900 mile road trip where I directed the passenger vent hard right and up a bit to my surprise I did not get any complaints on the whole journey.

Looks like they have fixed this on the MY so that they can be independently switched on and off BTW.

I have the same issue. Wife does not like face vents. But after a recent 900 mile road trip where I directed the passenger vent hard right and up a bit to my surprise I did not get any complaints on the whole journey.

Looks like they have fixed this on the MY so that they can be independently switched on and off BTW.
It is possible to split each sides airflow into 2 streams by doing a two finger "anti pinch" the two passenger side
streams can be aimed both up or down. Drivers side remains unaffected. I consider the 2 streams less intrusive. I will post an image to assist.

Reactions: Big Earl
IMG_20200828_203940865.jpg IMG_20200828_203955239.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200828_204001816.jpg
    IMG_20200828_204001816.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20200828_204015456.jpg
    IMG_20200828_204015456.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 45
It is possible to split each sides airflow into 2 streams by doing a two finger "anti pinch" the two passenger side
streams can be aimed both up or down. Drivers side remains unaffected. I consider the 2 streams less intrusive. I will post an image to assist.
Yup I know but I thought if I directed some to the left it would deflect off the window back to the passenger so I went with all to the right and it seems to be working for me.