TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here:

Airflow through front grill questions

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by JPinzolo, Jul 21, 2014.

1. JPinzolo

JPinzolo New Member

Jul 21, 2014
    United States
    Just curious and have a few questions regarding where this air goes-

• Where is it routed?
    • Does it serve any function for anything in the car?

Thanks all!

2. JPP

JPP Active Member

Feb 4, 2013
    SF Bay area, CA
    There are various radiators/coolers behind the front grille for the battery and drive unit as well as the HVAC system. Note that there are louvers/dampers that open and close to modulate the air flow and also to optimize aerodynamic efficiency.
  3. siai47

siai47 Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Deland, Fl.
    The radiators on the left and right front (the ones with the louvers) cool the drive system as necessary. They have fans mounted on the back of each radiator and the air from them exhausts into the front wheelwells. You can see the openings that the air exhausts through inside the wheelwells in front of the tires. The center cooler is the A/C condenser. There are two electric fans mounted in a case behind it that exhaust air around the "frunk" liner and then under the car.
  4. Otmar

Otmar EV Modder

Jul 26, 2009
    Corvallis, OR
    I think you have that a bit reversed. I am intimately familiar with the setup since it is all clearly visible on my car and this is what I've seen.
    The center radiator carries coolant in a loop with the motor, controller, charger(s) and the battery when it is in series plumbing mode. The center radiator has control flaps on either side where the air exits, this air feeds in front of the two outboard AC condensers. The condensers can also get air directly from the front when their shutters are open. Each AC condenser has a fan pulling air through it and exiting in the the wheel wells, those fans also pull the air through the center radiator when in that mode.
    The battery coolant can be cooled with the main ambient coolant loop, or switched into a parallel mode for more temperature control allowing the battery coolant to be cooled by the AC chiller, or heated by the battery heater.

I find it's a pretty interesting system.