Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AirPlay - Tesla falls further behind in Infotainment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You're right. Probably should have mentioned that. 6S added ability to do it without being plugged into power. 6 can do it as well but has to be plugged in.
That will work, assuming you don't have some other audio playing loudly so she can hear you. The steering wheel button mutes other audio so she can hear me and I can hear her.

I was traveling and had a rented Hundai last week. Plug in my phone and immediate access to all my music. Why not my $100K Telsa? Even with all my music on a dedicated USB stick, my Tesla still can't understand playlists.

When I first sat in an MS I thought with the large screen the infotainment capabilities would be second to none, and the streaming audio via Slacker was very cool during my first demo.

However I got an MS for an extended (2 day) test drive, I frankly thought I was "doing it wrong" when trying to use my phone, since I couldn't even do basic things like browse the audio, a capability the bottom-of-the-barrel crap rental cars my company mandates have had for about 4 years now. Upon further research I was a bit surprised to find that this is the current state of the Tesla art. I'm not sure it would prevent me from buying an MS, but it has me seriously looking around, since the basic ability to browse podcasts on my phone and launch one during a commute or road trip is fairly important, and probably as much of a safety issue (i.e. stop people from poking around their phones) as some esoteric autopilot capability.

Reactions: liuping
I have been playing with my iPhone 6, bluetoothed to system. I can push the home button, get Siri up, the stereo mutes, speak to car mic, everything works great. I can't use Hey Siri, because I'm not plugged in, but the home button works fine. Can push it in my pocket. Can change the music playing off the phone, send text, etc. Not perfect, but access to my iTunes and phone is nice. The car does a great job of phone calls already.

I can afford a S90D, but don't want to buy a new iPhone to get Hey Siri going. haha, the cruel irony of life.

Great car. Apply Play would be better.

I'm a new MS owner - just 4 weeks. I like driving it more than any other car I've had - by far. Plus, it's beautiful. (A blue MS with pano roof.) Yes, it is a bit annoying that the iPhone interface and integration is worse than a 2012 Camry, but I'm hopeful for 8.0 or 8.1.

With the new 8.0 - does it have playlists? Have they fixed the overnight USB/lost pre-sets bug?

Based on what has been posted so far, while this looks like a nice improvement over the original media player (which hasn't changed much in the last 4 years), will this be enough to satisfy people wanting increased smartphone integration and access to smartphone apps with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?

With the new 8.0 - does it have playlists? Have they fixed the overnight USB/lost pre-sets bug?

Based on what has been posted so far, while this looks like a nice improvement over the original media player (which hasn't changed much in the last 4 years), will this be enough to satisfy people wanting increased smartphone integration and access to smartphone apps with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto?
I don't have 8.0 yet, so only have screenshots to go by. I doubt very much 8.0 includes M3U Playlists -- they are not on the single image showing how to access USB media.

I'm hopeful on fixes, but not optimistic given the track records to date. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. I already have a test USB stick made with multiple formats, imbedded artwork and not, different directory structures, etc; my list of known bugs; as well as my list of features MS Infotainment is lacking as of 7.2, and will begin going through all that after I have received and spent a little time with 8.0. I'll post my more detailed observations at that point if someone else has not done it before.

I don't have 8.0 yet, so only have screenshots to go by. I doubt very much 8.0 includes M3U Playlists -- they are not on the single image showing how to access USB media.

I'm hopeful on fixes, but not optimistic given the track records to date. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised. I already have a test USB stick made with multiple formats, imbedded artwork and not, different directory structures, etc; my list of known bugs; as well as my list of features MS Infotainment is lacking as of 7.2, and will begin going through all that after I have received and spent a little time with 8.0. I'll post my more detailed observations at that point if someone else has not done it before.
Perhaps you could start a new thread on 8.0 media only. We'll let this die and focus on what's fixed and what still needs attention.