Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Airport Parking Charging System for Teslas ....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering if Tesla is or should look at offering a charging configuration for airport/cruise ship parking businesses. One where they could charge multiple vehicles with fewer chargers. Use the current charge limits set on the vehicle, the expected departure date/time and vary which vehicle is being charged as needed to maximize charge amounts within a group or 'pod'. This would prevent the need to shuffle vehicles between charging spots and non-charging spots especially at night. Unlike the paired supercharger spots it might be possible to efficiently share 3 or 4 spots per charger in a 'pod'.
Being able to charge Teslas easiy with fewer labor resources might make it a service attractive parking business might offer.

The same 'pod' charging software could easily be advanced to handle any future fleet vehicles or the Semis.

Just a thought.

Robert M.

EVSE equipment is expensive. Also, agree that a 5-15 or 5-20 circuit per spot is more than sufficient for topping up a vehicle parked for many days. Lots of spots each with their own circuit is way cheaper than installing lots of J1772 EVSEs at each spot. Interested owners can simply bring their own portable EVSE and plug in. I've seen some L2's at short term parking lots, but a long term lot just needs lots of low amperage outlets.

Agreed on 5-15 plugs. From what I've seen, my car charges on a 5-15 at 12A/105V, or 1.26kW. A MS 100D would be fully charged from 0 in less than 4 days on a 5-15 at that rate. Even just a single day would be enough to charge it for roughly 100RM. I can't see much of a reason to provide anything higher than that for long term parking.

I wonder if airport parking would quality for Tesla's destination charging program? Probably would be a good deal for interested airports.

A $500 wall charger plus wiring doesn't really add much functionality over a 5-20 outlet for a stay longer than 2-3 days. Neither provide for billing/cost recovery. And if they go the wall charger, I believe the contract is that they provide free electricity to patrons. Removes the financial incentive.

I'd say they block off an area, put 5-20 outlets (let people know to bring their adaptor) and charge a ~$5 premium per day, ~$15 max per stay to park in that area and utilize the outlets.