Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alert warning: "Vehicle may not restart. Service is required" Code BMS_a035. "Electrical ...."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone!
Just wanted to give a heads up on my case)

I’ve been having BMS_a035 error for a week or so now. My model 3 shows absolutely no signs of malfunction what so ever. It’s runs as it has always been apart from popping “Vehicle may not restart” error.

For now, every time I leave the car for some time, the error goes away, but after some driving it shows again. It may take an hour of driving, may take a few seconds. I could not figure out any correlation between time taken for error to pop up and outside temperature, possible temperature of driving inverter, speed of the car and other possible factors.

After I’ve done some research, I learned that it may be problems with driving inverter (if it is not just a glitch) [1]. Recently Tesla called of some Chinese gigafactory cars with the similar issue and looks like it has released and update that should deal with this issue for other Chinese cars [2; 3].

My car still runs on 2022.8.3 update and I do not get 2022.12.3.1. Not sure how this whole update thing works with Tesla, because apparently 2022.8.3 and 2022.12.3 are released nearly at the same time.

Will keep you updated :)

Sources
[1] This particular thread
[2] Tesla recalls nearly 128,000 cars in China due to defect
[3] 2022.12.3.1 Official Tesla Release Notes - Software Updates

Looks like I joined the BMS_A035 club yesterday. My 2018 M3P is at the service center for this same error. As others mentioned, error would show up after drinking for a bit, then would clear after being stopped for a few minutes. Scheduled an appointment for next available day which was for the 22nd then about an hour later I got a call from Tesla recommending to drop the car off right away if possible.

Same issue with my 2000 km mylr. Dropped to the Vancouver sc and they updated me a few times with diagnostic progress. They found the motor might be defective but still have found the culprit yet. It has been three weeks and they gave me a model x as a loaner vehicle. Have no idea why it takes them so long to do the diagnostic

Over the last two weeks, I’ve been getting an intermittent BMS_a035 error notification on my almost three year old Model 3 LR Dual Motor. I haven’t been notified of any other errors. My 3 is garage kept and has only 16,244 miles. By “intermittent”, I mean that it appears, disappears and reappears. The car has never not “restarted”.

Because I’m in CT, I don’t have good access to Tesla Service Centers. They cannot be sold here, which is totally stupid. My $4,000+ of sales tax was paid to NY. When I scheduled my service appointment through the app, Mobile Service was not an option, and I could choose between an appointment toward the end of August at the CT Service Center that’s one hour away or an appointment on Thursday at a NY Service Center that’s one and a half hours away.

I’m taking a road trip on Thursday. Wish me luck!
Over the last two weeks, I’ve been getting an intermittent BMS_a035 error notification on my almost three year old Model 3 LR Dual Motor. I haven’t been notified of any other errors. My 3 is garage kept and has only 16,244 miles. By “intermittent”, I mean that it appears, disappears and reappears. The car has never not “restarted”.

Because I’m in CT, I don’t have good access to Tesla Service Centers. They cannot be sold here, which is totally stupid. My $4,000+ of sales tax was paid to NY. When I scheduled my service appointment through the app, Mobile Service was not an option, and I could choose between an appointment toward the end of August at the CT Service Center that’s one hour away or an appointment on Thursday at a NY Service Center that’s one and a half hours away.

I’m taking a road trip on Thursday. Wish me luck!
Unless your car has New York plates on it that sales tax you paid was paid to CT for the plates put on your car. Tesla NY is hooked into CT DMV that’s how they get the plates, paperwork and collect the tax. Don’t worry CT can waste the money as well as NY tho.

Looks like I joined the BMS_A035 club yesterday. My 2018 M3P is at the service center for this same error. As others mentioned, error would show up after drinking for a bit, then would clear after being stopped for a few minutes. Scheduled an appointment for next available day which was for the 22nd then about an hour later I got a call from Tesla recommending to drop the car off right away if possible.
Got my car back today. Rear inverter replaced

I too got the bms 035 on7/8. Service following Monday. More diagnosis required at larger service center. Will let you know what was found

Well I just got this code 2 weeks ago. Service appt could not isolate problem. Took to larger repair facility and had to leave for estimate 3 days. Had car 2 1/2 years with 35k miles. Seems to be a lot more cars there than when I first got mine. I hope this will be resolved shortly. I’m very curious as to what the malfunction is

I now have these Alert warnings: "Vehicle may not restart. Service is required" Code BMS_a035. "Electrical system power reduced. Vehicle may shut down unexpectedly". Currently the vehicle is parked at a parking deck and I'm at work....I live 150 miles from the nearest Service Center, so it's not a quick drive. I already have a mobile service call out for next week for a hood sensor latch malfunction. I have forwarded these error messages on the service tab of my Tesla app. Tried soft reboot but messages persist. Any other suggestions? I suspect a wiring fault with the 12v battery, although I see similar error messages in Tesla forums with rear drive motor and fuses.....will hopefully be able to limp home and call roadside assistance if needed?
Hello they just text me engine gone…

OK, if you read this far it's obvious that you're concern about that BMS warning message. Here's my experience from start to the end.

The BMS_w035 warning popped up on 1/7, soon BMS_u016 came on as well. I just replaced my V12 few months ago so I know it's not the V12 issue unless they failed to reconfigure my 2015 MS. I can still drive my car without any issues so I took it in to the SC in Plano, TX. The advisor told me "Found vehicles battery coolant heater to have internal fault". Luckily it's still under the warranty but in case you're wondering how much will it cost to replace, here's the break down for the labor only: Vehicle Electrical Isolation Procedure $102.50 + General Diagnosis $102.50 + Thermal System Test $20.50 = $225.50.

Dropped it off on 1/11, took them about 8 days to repair probably because I also have some other issues with the car - upper rear suspension link need to be replaced + recent recall. Anyway, I hope this helps.

View attachment 757429

Having the same issues as we speak. Fingers crossed.

Quick call to Roadside assistance said that BMS and 12V were operating fine.

Attachments

• IMG_3312.jpeg
    IMG_3312.jpeg
    584.3 KB · Views: 259
I got this same problem a couple of weeks ago with my Model Y. I scheduled a service appointment for today. Work order shows the BMS_a035 issue but also the replacement of refrigerant temperature and pressure sensors, is that a recall item?
Oh no - not the Y too...
Anyway, I don't think there's any recall related to the BMS issue on Model Y (as of today). To know it for sure, you can perform a quick VIN recall search via Tesla: Tesla Service