Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Autopilot features quit during trip (fix is in the post)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Made my first longer trip last week since getting my 3 last July. Trip there worked great and ran NoA most the way.

The night before returning all AP features quit. No lane markers, no ghost cars, no speed limit signs. Any time I tried engaging TACC or AP I would get the message the "cruise is not available". Two button reset did not fix it and all cameras were clean. I ended up making the return trip completely manual without even cruise.

I posted this on our local FB group and one of the members gave me the fix. I have not seen it posted here so I'm posting to share.

1. Turn off Sentry and remove the USB
2. Two button reset
3. Turn off AP
4. Two button reset
5. Turn back on AP options (they turned back on themselves for me)
6. Test that problem is gone
7. Reconnect USB and re-enable Sentry.

Since this procedure fixed the issue I am guessing that the cause could be Sentry not properly releasing the cameras for AP to use.

What firmware version? Please always include that. I think this is a 2019.16.x version, and may be fixed on 20.1 but perhaps not? Not seen it on our cars. Do you have Sentry on all the time (all locations) or only at some? We only use it 'not work and not home'.

Made my first longer trip last week since getting my 3 last July. Trip there worked great and ran NoA most the way.

The night before returning all AP features quit. No lane markers, no ghost cars, no speed limit signs. Any time I tried engaging TACC or AP I would get the message the "cruise is not available". Two button reset did not fix it and all cameras were clean. I ended up making the return trip completely manual without even cruise.

I posted this on our local FB group and one of the members gave me the fix. I have not seen it posted here so I'm posting to share.

1. Turn off Sentry and remove the USB
2. Two button reset
3. Turn off AP
4. Two button reset
5. Turn back on AP options (they turned back on themselves for me)
6. Test that problem is gone
7. Reconnect USB and re-enable Sentry.

Since this procedure fixed the issue I am guessing that the cause could be Sentry not properly releasing the cameras for AP to use.
Not quite correct. I had the same problem and ended up driving 3500 miles with no CC/EAP. I've tried a lot of variations of the above, and found that if you have the USB drive inserted, the problem will come back to haunt you. The problem is 100% software. Until Tesla pushes a software update that fixes the problem, you have to do without TeslaCam data and Sentry Mode. Simply turning off Sentry Mode is not sufficient. The drive has to be out.
I also found that reboots and shutdowns were not that effective. You have to let the car sit for some time (perhaps expiring a 1 hour timestamp in the TeslaCam logic?)

If you put the USB drive back in, the car will drive properly for a short while, then the problem pops up again.

What firmware version? Please always include that. I think this is a 2019.16.x version, and may be fixed on 20.1 but perhaps not? Not seen it on our cars. Do you have Sentry on all the time (all locations) or only at some? We only use it 'not work and not home'.

I am at a 2019.20.x firmware, but can't give the exact due to Early Access NDA. I only posted this because it appears unrelated to that Early Access release.

I do keep Sentry on with the exclusion of "At Home".

Not quite correct. I had the same problem and ended up driving 3500 miles with no CC/EAP. I've tried a lot of variations of the above, and found that if you have the USB drive inserted, the problem will come back to haunt you. The problem is 100% software. Until Tesla pushes a software update that fixes the problem, you have to do without TeslaCam data and Sentry Mode. Simply turning off Sentry Mode is not sufficient. The drive has to be out.
I also found that reboots and shutdowns were not that effective. You have to let the car sit for some time (perhaps expiring a 1 hour timestamp in the TeslaCam logic?)

If you put the USB drive back in, the car will drive properly for a short while, then the problem pops up again.

It could still be Sentry not releasing the cameras and removing the USB is what kicks them free. I also did not have to let the car sit after removing. Everything was working immediately after performing the steps. Hopefully it does not come back. So far it has been working today.

I had this happen after the 2019.20.4.2 update - all camera functions stopped working. Tesla support recommended a subset of these steps -
1. Turn sentry mode off, unplug USB stick
2. Two button soft reboot
3. Let the car go to sleep

It regained camera functions after the second step itself. Before that, I tried soft and hard reboot multiple times but that didnt resolve the issue.

This happened to me on a hot day with my Model S parked in the sun running Sentry Mode for about 4-5 hours. Got home (Sentry off automatically based on “Home” location), didn’t do anything. Figured I’d call service the next day. The next day it was working again.

I really think that the computer is over heating running Sentry Mode. When the car sleeps/cools down when Sentry Mode is not running it resets.

Check to see if your usb drive is full. Mine was, I deleted a few gb and AP back in business (a month or two ago). The second time it happened (last week) I removed the USB while driving and the plugged it back in a few minutes later and AP came back.