Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control unavailable - FSD and visualizations gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been having a recurring error: Dl_a175 / Cruise control unavailable. And everything like fsd, cruise control, speed limit, auto-turn signals, they all no longer work. Actually all visualizations are gone. I had it in Service and they said it was a firmware / reboot. That fixed it, but then it went out the next day. Now they are saying I need to wait for a firmware update. We’re about to take a road trip for the holidays and need that stuff to work.

After some suggestions on the internet, I’ve tried to reboot, turn off sentry and let leave car in sleep mode overnight, open and close all the doors. None of it worked. Tempted to put it in service mode or maybe do a factory reset? I feel like the real issue is that the Tesla is not able to go into sleep mode for some reason.

If you have any ideas please share, I would greatly appreciate it.

I’ve been having a recurring error: Dl_a175 / Cruise control unavailable. And everything like fsd, cruise control, speed limit, auto-turn signals, they all no longer work. Actually all visualizations are gone. I had it in Service and they said it was a firmware / reboot. That fixed it, but then it went out the next day. Now they are saying I need to wait for a firmware update. We’re about to take a road trip for the holidays and need that stuff to work.

After some suggestions on the internet, I’ve tried to reboot, turn off sentry and let leave car in sleep mode overnight, open and close all the doors. None of it worked. Tempted to put it in service mode or maybe do a factory reset? I feel like the real issue is that the Tesla is not able to go into sleep mode for some reason.

If you have any ideas please share, I would greatly appreciate it.
I doubt that not getting into sleep mode is the root of your issue. And a two-button reboot only seems to reboot the MCU.

I suspect that what is needed is to reboot the Autopilot Computer. I suspect that sleep mode does not do this. It likely only puts it into a suspended state so that it will be ready instantly upon waking the car.

You could try reinstalling the software from the "secret" service mode. This should accomplish a full reboot of the car once the software has completed the installation.

As far as getting the car to sleep. Be sure that sentry mode is off or the car will not sleep until the battery gets down to 20%. If you use emote monitoring services like teslafi, the configuration of these could prevent the car from sleeping if you have changed from the default, or recommended, polling mode. If you have multiple services getting data from the car, this can prevent sleeping. Also, you should avoid accessing the car from a phone app as this will wake up the car. To be sure that there is nothing waking up the car, you might turn off mobile access temporarily.

Thanks for the tips. Last night I turned off everything you listed, and let the car sleep (hopefully) unplugged at 80% charge. Except I forgot to turn off Mobile Access-but I did turn off my phone’s Bluetooth.

However, my issue is still there. Is there a way to check if indeed my car is not going into sleep mode?

I was tempted to go into service mode and reinstall the software. The warning ⚠️ message threw me off. Do you have experience with it?

Thanks for the tips. Last night I turned off everything you listed, and let the car sleep (hopefully) unplugged at 80% charge. Except I forgot to turn off Mobile Access-but I did turn off my phone’s Bluetooth.

However, my issue is still there. Is there a way to check if indeed my car is not going into sleep mode?

I was tempted to go into service mode and reinstall the software. The warning ⚠️ message threw me off. Do you have experience with it?
If you go out to your car and hear the lound clunk of the high voltage power contactor when you open the door, your car was in sleep mode.

Reactions: terraform
The 3rd party Tessie app will tell you without waking the car if it's sleeping or not with its history. Not sure if they have a trial period or not. But if unplugged without Sentry on it likely did sleep.

I don't think it's a matter of sleeping however.

I've reinstalled the software twice with no ill effect. Be sure to be WiFi connected when you do. That warning message does look scary. That's what I would try. Of course, YMMV.

You could try reinstalling the software from the "secret" service mode. This should accomplish a full reboot of the car once the software has completed the installation.
For the past several months, I've been having this issues with FSD visualization disappearing and auto pilot not working. I've been scheduling service as it's still under warranty and I want to make sure it gets documented each time in case in the future they turn around and say it's a hardware issue instead of a software bug/defect when I'm out of warranty.

My past service summary has always mentioned redownloading and reinstalling whatever software version at the time, or with the last service referencing a charge port door cycle to be performed as a mitigation (I asked the SA how I can do the charge port door cycle and they said it had to be done by Tesla service but can be done remotely). I'm curious how do I access the "secret service mode" to do this full reboot?

For the past several months, I've been having this issues with FSD visualization disappearing and auto pilot not working. I've been scheduling service as it's still under warranty and I want to make sure it gets documented each time in case in the future they turn around and say it's a hardware issue instead of a software bug/defect when I'm out of warranty.

My past service summary has always mentioned redownloading and reinstalling whatever software version at the time, or with the last service referencing a charge port door cycle to be performed as a mitigation (I asked the SA how I can do the charge port door cycle and they said it had to be done by Tesla service but can be done remotely). I'm curious how do I access the "secret service mode" to do this full reboot?
To get to the secret service mode, go to the software page on the car's display. Tap and hold the model name shown in large font for about 5 seconds. When you lift your finger, you will be presented with a password box. Type 'service' for the password.

Search for tesla service mode and you should get plenty of details.

Here is a video of how to reinstall. I plan to try it later this week.

Also, @KArnold said to make sure the Tesla connected to wifi beforehand, although I'm not sure why. I wonder if having premium connectivity would be sufficient, since my wifi is a bit far from the car.

Thanks guys. This is helpful to know just in case FSD visualization goes out again while I'm on a trip (last time I had to drive back from Vegas the old fashion way! 😭 )

Has anyone tried it without direct wifi connection? I have wifi access when parked at home and Premium Connectivity. Just wondering if this process can be done while on the road and how long does it usually take?

I'm curious how do I access the "secret service mode" to do this full reboot?
Reportedly two ways - unfortunately Tesla is not real clear on this point.

Method #1:
  1. Go to Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration and select a different size, the car will reboot
  2. Go back to Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration and change it back to the correct size, the car will reboot again
This is my preference as it's essentially idiot proof - something I need.

Method #2:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Sentry Mode> Off- you will need to scroll down on the page to view this setting
  3. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  4. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc. as this will wake the vehicle
  5. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Seems this should work but don't open any doors or touch anything for that 2 minutes. Some say 5 minutes. In my experience it's just not been as effective as #1. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Likely both work if done properly.

Reactions: awd_rails
Reportedly two ways - unfortunately Tesla is not real clear on this point.

Method #1:
  1. Go to Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration and select a different size, the car will reboot
  2. Go back to Controls > Service > Wheel Configuration and change it back to the correct size, the car will reboot again
This is my preference as it's essentially idiot proof - something I need.

Method #2:
  1. Shift into Park.
  2. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Sentry Mode> Off- you will need to scroll down on the page to view this setting
  3. On the touchscreen, touch Controls > Safety > Power Off.
  4. Wait for at least two minutes without interacting with the vehicle. Do not open the doors, touch the brake pedal, touch the touchscreen, etc. as this will wake the vehicle
  5. After two minutes, press the brake pedal or open the door to wake the vehicle.
Seems this should work but don't open any doors or touch anything for that 2 minutes. Some say 5 minutes. In my experience it's just not been as effective as #1. Maybe I didn't wait long enough.

Likely both work if done properly.

These two methods are for rebooting, not to be confused with "reinstalling software" which is done in Service Mode. I've actually tried both of the two methods and they did not solve my FSD / visualization issues. Hopefully, the reinstall will -- because yeah not having that on a road trip would be no fun at all!

Last edited:
Reactions: KArnold
If you want to try to force a full reboot of the car, you can disconnect the power completely. It's not hard, but it might be intimidating. You can read the procedure in the Tesla service manual. I've done this multiple times to clear false battery fail warnings, it's the surest way to fully reboot the car, better than factory reset.

Direct link to 12V power disconnect. Requires a service subscription, but is free:

1) Open all windows
2) Open back doors
3) Open frunk
4) Disconnect the 12V battery. 10mm socket on negative cable.
5) Release two back seat locks, and Lift back seat.
6) Right side of left hand drive car has foam protector, remove it.
7) See the grey power/control plug with bail lock.
8) Unlock bail and pull up, disconnects all computers.
9) Car will go clunk as contactors open.
10) Let it sit for 15 minutes to drain all capacitors.

Reverse that procedure to reboot car. Takes about 5 minutes to fully come up.

Does not affect firmware, or pending installs, or any settings.

If you want to try to force a full reboot of the car, you can disconnect the power completely. It's not hard, but it might be intimidating. You can read the procedure in the Tesla service manual. I've done this multiple times to clear false battery fail warnings, it's the surest way to fully reboot the car, better than factory reset.

Direct link to 12V power disconnect. Requires a service subscription, but is free:

1) Open all windows
2) Open back doors
3) Open frunk
4) Disconnect the 12V battery. 10mm socket on negative cable.
5) Release two back seat locks, and Lift back seat.
6) Right side of left hand drive car has foam protector, remove it.
7) See the grey power/control plug with bail lock.
8) Unlock bail and pull up, disconnects all computers.
9) Car will go clunk as contactors open.
10) Let it sit for 15 minutes to drain all capacitors.

Reverse that procedure to reboot car. Takes about 5 minutes to fully come up.

Does not affect firmware, or pending installs, or any settings.
Intimidating for sure. But since it’s in the manual I guess it can’t be too bad. If things go awry with the software reinstall, I will try this—or would you recommend this first?

Intimidating for sure. But since it’s in the manual I guess it can’t be too bad. If things go awry with the software reinstall, I will try this—or would you recommend this first?

I'd do the software install first, simply because it doesn't require any tools. It's also not clear exactly where the fault lies. If it's a software bug, better firmware will fix it.

I ran the software reinstall last night. About to take it for a drive to see if the visualizations, FSD, and TACC are back to normal🤞

The following errors showed when I entered in service mode:

IMG_4352.jpg

Update: drove it out, camera recalibration completed, and everything is back to normal 😅

I went back into service mode and still see that APPw_303 error. made a service appointment just to make sure all this is documented while I’m still under warranty. I have a feeling it’s not the end of this.

While you're driving, when the issue happens, immediately press the voice button and say "bug report"

Then open service and reference the bug report date and time. That allows the techs to retrieve all the telemetry from the car at that moment, which helps them diagnose it.