Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cruise control unavailable - FSD and visualizations gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While you're driving, when the issue happens, immediately press the voice button and say "bug report"

Then open service and reference the bug report date and time. That allows the techs to retrieve all the telemetry from the car at that moment, which helps them diagnose it.
Similarly when it happens, I’ll take a screenshot with timestamp and include it in my service appointment. With the timestamp, they’re also able to retrieve the car data at that point in time.

I assume they report the bug eventually to the software engineers, but doing the bug report through the voice prompt also ensures it eventually gets to them.

Reactions: terraform
Did you require wifi connection for the reinstall? How long did it take?

Wondering if it can be done while away from home
Not sure if wifi was required or not. But I did it just in case. As previously mentioned, if you do not have wifi just connect to a hotspot from your phone.

Edit: The process took only about 15 minutes during which I heard two loud "thunk" noises. And then it said install successful.

Update: drove it out, camera recalibration completed, and everything is back to normal 😅

I went back into service mode and still see that APPw_303 error. made a service appointment just to make sure all this is documented while I’m still under warranty. I have a feeling it’s not the end of this.

That seems like the best approach to me. Making sure the error is reported and in their system in case it matters later.

That specific remaining warning APPw_303 means that the inertial measurement between the autopilot computer and apparently the airbag sensors don't agree, so it's flagged as a warning. I don't think it would be too surprising to have them disagree when you initially recalibrate the system, and predict this will clear on its own.

Also says: "may occur due to an internal condition affecting the Autopilot board or may set temporarily due to aggressive driving".

I mean, I drive aggressive times, not all the time. One thing I noticed is that the early warning collision (when cars show up red on screen) has gone off a lot more in the past month--but not because I am being too aggressive, it's just being too sensitive or just plain inaccurate sometimes.

Also says: "may occur due to an internal condition affecting the Autopilot board or may set temporarily due to aggressive driving".

I mean, I drive aggressive times, not all the time. One thing I noticed is that the early warning collision (when cars show up red on screen) has gone off a lot more in the past month--but not because I am being too aggressive, it's just being too sensitive or just plain inaccurate sometimes.
Don't risk it, open a service ticket for it

@terraform did you end up taking your car in to Tesla to have the errors checked out?

So I had the issue 2 weeks back, brought the car in to the SC on 11/20 (just to get the issue documented, in case for the future outside of warranty), I think they just did a charge port door recycle and gave the car back to me per the service notes. 4 days later on 11/24, the FSD visualization started to degrade again. This is the shortest it's been for me. In the past it would be at least 3-4 months before the issue happens again. So I scheduled another SC appointment. The SC did a remote diagnosis and instead of doing the charge port recycle remotely again, they had me bring the car in and the service estimate states that they plan on replacing a "Restraint Control Module - Universal (1512876-00-E)" under warranty (~$350-$400 part based on Google search). Dropped off the car this morning, will see if this will fix the issue permanently 🤞

I don't see this issue being discussed much on the forums, so wonder how common it is. If it is indeed a software bug, I would think this issue would come up for frequently in discussions as it would affect the majority (if not all) of the MY/3s...at least those with production runs with similar hardware.

Last edited:
@terraform did you end up taking your car in to Tesla to have the errors checked out?

So I had the issue 2 weeks back, brought the car in to the SC on 11/20 (just to get the issue documented, in case for the future outside of warranty), I think they just did a charge port door recycle and gave the car back to me per the service notes. 4 days later on 11/24, the FSD visualization started to degrade again. This is the shortest it's been for me. In the past it would be at least 3-4 months before the issue happens again. So I scheduled another SC appointment. The SC did a remote diagnosis and instead of doing the charge port recycle remotely again, they had me bring the car in and the service estimate states that they plan on replacing a "Restraint Control Module - Universal (1512876-00-E)" under warranty (~$350-$400 part based on Google search). Dropped off the car this morning, will see if this will fix the issue permanently 🤞

I don't see this issue being discussed much on the forums, so wonder how common it is. If it is indeed a software bug, I would think this issue would come up for frequently in discussions as it would affect the majority (if not all) of the MY/3s...at least those with production runs with similar hardware.

Once I did the software reinstall (on 11/21/23), fsd and visualizations started working again. And I have driven it almost everyday and everything is still good. One theory based on one of the errors I described in thread above: maybe it thinks I drive too aggressively and so it triggered the errors. So, I have been driving less aggressively. I dunno. I did make a service appointment in two weeks to get it diagnosed and have on record. So I will update once I get it done.

But, at least I know that reinstalling from secret service mode is a good solution, if you're in a pinch.

Reactions: awd_rails
Once I did the software reinstall (on 11/21/23), fsd and visualizations started working again. And I have driven it almost everyday and everything is still good. One theory based on one of the errors I described in thread above: maybe it thinks I drive too aggressively and so it triggered the errors. So, I have been driving less aggressively. I dunno. I did make a service appointment in two weeks to get it diagnosed and have on record. So I will update once I get it done.

But, at least I know that reinstalling from secret service mode is a good solution, if you're in a pinch.
@terraform was this a current SW re-install or factory reset? Tesla tech is suggesting a factory reset, which I am hesitant to try. Thanks.

@terraform was this a current SW re-install or factory reset? Tesla tech is suggesting a factory reset, which I am hesitant to try. Thanks.
If you’re referring to the factory reset option in the general settings > service menu, I’ve done it before when selling my Tesla. It’s harmless. The only thing is that the navigation map will need to be updated to the latest map version and it will automatically do it when you have wifi connection. It will initially show your car is located at the Tesla Fremont HQ location until you start driving for a bit and the car’s gps location updates with the satellite.

Reactions: scottha
Thank you. The tire type/size change reload actually fixed the problem for me. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
For 2 days. Now back to the same problem’ no autopilot, no cruise, everything green in service mode. BUT when I preview the cameras in service mode or just the regular menu, only the cabin one shows a picture. The rest are blank. I verified at least the side and rear cams work through blind spot and the backup cam.

tire reset trick does not fix it again.
On 2023.27.12

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
For 2 days. Now back to the same problem’ no autopilot, no cruise, everything green in service mode. BUT when I preview the cameras in service mode or just the regular menu, only the cabin one shows a picture. The rest are blank. I verified at least the side and rear cams work through blind spot and the backup cam.

tire reset trick does not fix it again.
On 2023.27.12
Considering the software reinstall?

I'm having the same problem. SC said it was the fsd beta firmware and I would have to revert back to standard to fix it. You figure it out yet?

For anyone having this issue... visualizations going away, cameras just black screen when pulled up.... the fix is ridiculously simple for 90% of cases where a hardware fault is not the cause....

UNPLUG YOUR FLASH DRIVE :D

i struggled with this for a few months... however being a tech nerd i was unwilling to let it go haha, after months of going back and forth with tesla and doing my own diagnostics it seems that the car uses the flash drive as a sort of swap space for the cameras, it doesn't rely on the drive 100% but if present it acts a cache more or less. For whatever reason occationally the drive will become frozen, when this happens it essentially locks up the camera software or something in the thread. without cameras the AP computer essentially goes into standby mode until the inputs are restored and you are left with a dumb smart car.

It is 100% a software issue and unrelated to the quality of the drive, i've used everything from high end samsung ssd drives to cheap usb 2.0 drives, the results always the same.

Ultimately, I just bought a box of 10 cheap 32GB usb 3.0 flash drives on amazon and anytime it happens i just swap to a new drive, this seems last longer than just reusing the same drive, dont ask me why lol.

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
For anyone having this issue... visualizations going away, cameras just black screen when pulled up.... the fix is ridiculously simple for 90% of cases where a hardware fault is not the cause....

UNPLUG YOUR FLASH DRIVE :D

i struggled with this for a few months... however being a tech nerd i was unwilling to let it go haha, after months of going back and forth with tesla and doing my own diagnostics it seems that the car uses the flash drive as a sort of swap space for the cameras, it doesn't rely on the drive 100% but if present it acts a cache more or less. For whatever reason occationally the drive will become frozen, when this happens it essentially locks up the camera software or something in the thread. without cameras the AP computer essentially goes into standby mode until the inputs are restored and you are left with a dumb smart car.

It is 100% a software issue and unrelated to the quality of the drive, i've used everything from high end samsung ssd drives to cheap usb 2.0 drives, the results always the same.

Ultimately, I just bought a box of 10 cheap 32GB usb 3.0 flash drives on amazon and anytime it happens i just swap to a new drive, this seems last longer than just reusing the same drive, dont ask me why lol.
I've tried removing the flash drive with no luck. Thanks tho.