Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6DE598BF-2CEA-4ED1-9C1E-F3E7F043B238.jpeg
:eek:

Yeah, all EV stocks are hot because of Tesla success. This one might actually be profitable for a while, as a lot of investors will think this could challenge Tesla. It obviously won't, based on what is shown, but it could easily be the case that most investors won't realize that - heck gravity powered Nikola is still not bankrupt :) So yes, the stock could rise - I'll keep my few shares, simply as a gambling play on FOMO investors. Hopefully will be able to time the selling before the stock drops...

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
I believe it will all come down to manufacturing cost. And the presentation today covered NONE of that.
They did indirectly when talking about how it's compatible with existing manufacturing methods and by describing how it eliminates materials and processing steps. Also the point about how the inherent safety at the cell level reduces the engineering needed at the pack level. I don't see how it couldn't be cost competitive.

I don’t look at this as something to compete with Tesla. Tesla will be making it’s own batteries for its own use and likely buying from others suppliers too given all its planned vehicles/equipment needs. I see this as more of a stock/product marketing to the vast legacy and new non-Tesla cars yet to be produced. No reason both can’t do well. If their battery can produce what they say and even improve on it, I see them still selling well to manufacturers.

Last edited:
Happy to see the stock has held up today. I got a chance last night to watch the presentation from the beginning. For me the “and” factor was a key element for holding tight and JB and others’ statements that QS’ ceramic separator was a breakthrough for battery tech was another.

Not trying to compare to Tesla’s battery day announcements to QS’, but I seem to recall Tesla’s percentage improvements over their current battery came from a handful of different factors not all related to the battery itself. QS’ came from just from the battery itself. Production savings and such was not even really talked about other than current battery factories could be retrofitted somewhat easily or something to that effect.

Electrek had this article today including JB’s comments on the technology. If you didn’t catch the presentation, you might want read what he said.

Tesla co-founder on QuantumScape's new battery: it's a breakthrough

As for the “and” factors that Venkat Viswanathan enumerated, those were: fast charging ability And long life And strong safety profile And great power-to-weight ratios And can operate at automotive temps and power requirements.

Barron’s article this morning did a nice job summarizing the event (link may or may not work for you): QuantumScape Stock Soars Again. The EV Industry Can’t Keep Up.

Rob Mauer from TheStreet did a comparison of QS’ battery tech to Tesla’s. Dives a bit more into cost and timelines. Worth a listen to the video, comparison first story up.

QuantumScape's Solid-State Battery Compared to Tesla's Battery Day

If QS can get their production cost down low enough and VW can purchase at a below $100 per kW rate (spreadsheet relates to $50/$70 kW), they will be on more even footing cost-wise with Tesla than they are now. Projections for earliest production is 2024 for a small factory and Tesla should have a number of battery and car production lines running internationally by then so likely still far ahead of VW with EVs. Plan is to hold onto both stocks regardless. If this was stock in a different battery company probably wouldn’t feel the same way.

Last edited:
QS breakthrough is good for everyone. I think Elon wouldn't mind buying battery from them also if the price is right and they can produce enough. And there breakthrough also help further solid state breakthroughs from elsewhere in the industry (including Tesla). Definitely, this give a leg up for VW future. Good to see VW is seriously going into EV.

For information on Quantumscape compared to Tesla watch these videos:-

Short answer Quantumscape definitely has some R&D breakthroughs that probably make commercial solid-state batteries viable.

However, Tesla's Battery Day tech is very competitive, Quantumscape now has to clear a much higher bar.

It isn't clear whether Tesla or Quantumscape will have better cheaper batteries in 5-10 years time, it is clear Quantumscape not have a significant impact for at least 5 years.

(Moved from the main thread.)..

QS breakthrough is good for everyone. I think Elon wouldn't mind buying battery from them also if the price is right and they can produce enough. And there breakthrough also help further solid state breakthroughs from elsewhere in the industry (including Tesla). Definitely, this give a leg up for VW future. Good to see VW is seriously going into EV.

I reposted the videos here and added another video.

Looking at QS commercializing solid-state and lithium-metal is a big break-through.

Comparing to Tesla Battery Day and LG Lithium-Sulfur - all 3 have promise, Tesla has the advantage of being closer to volume production

Specifically comparing QS and Tesla Battery Day on a few metrics...

Energy Density - not a clear winner here, the combination of Maxwell and a Silicone Anode gets Tesla in the same ball park.

.Safety (fire risk) QS has an edge here - Tesla needs to incorporate other innovations

Fast Charging - again this will be close - Silicone Anode and tab-less cells allow Tesla to close the gap.

Price and ease of manufacture - Tesla probably a winner here..

Structural Pack - QS current a pouch cell might not be suitable for a structural pack..

However, the products are sufficiently different for there to be room in the market for both. There will be something the QS cell does best.
With JB on the board, I imagine Tesla buying from QS will not be a problem.

Seems to me the Tesla Silicone Anode is one aspect of Battery Day that potentially has a lot of implications, the Limiting Factor is starting to focus on this, but there is more digging to do.

I suspect Battery Day has QS going back to the lab looking for more improvements, it is early days for their tech, lots of improvement is possible.

4472BBBA-5546-4ED2-843F-3CBB64A2D944.png
On 10/2020 analyst day QuantumScape presented three different Discounted Enterprise Value -scenarios with enterprise values 8, 12 and 16 billions.

Market cap today is 26,8 billion, 67% more than the high value scenario.

It is difficult for me to pay more than what the management has pitched just couple of months ago.

I wish i would have found it earlier.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Toyota has announced it has solid state batteries as well and will be releasing its solid state EV. Article in The Motley Fool on this from this morning and why they say the stock is down today.

Why QuantumScape Stock Is Down Today | The Motley Fool

“Nikkei reported that Toyota is planning to unveil a prototype electric vehicle powered by its own solid-state batteries next year, that it plans to be the first company to sell an EV powered by solid-state batteries, with that vehicle coming to market in the "early 2020s," and that the Japanese government is backing the effort.”

Toyota has been heavy in fuel cells for years (which hasn’t seen any wide spread adoption) and has been working on solid state as well. How will their tech stack up against QS’s will be an unknown for now. Personally we were long time Toyota two-car owners but were so turned off by their cars’ design and refusal to add Apple’s CarPlay when it came time for us to buy again, it’s one of the reasons we looked at Tesla and now don’t foresee ever going back to Toyota. We also were not impressed at their Prius line although two of our friends had gone EV with it. Hard to say what they really have and how it would compare to QS at this time. Timing of this announcement likely made to cut into QS’ sudden widespread positive press coverage.

Worth noting that LG Chem has been manufacturing pouch cells and those have been in the news as likely causing a number of car fires among manufacturers as well as vehicle recalls and one of the reasons Hyundai switch its 20-year vendor of batteries to SK Innovations.

I think this article from The Korea Herald will be enlightening on the topic of separators and ceramic. [News Analysis] EV fires draw attention to separator tech of LG Chem, Samsung SDI, SK Innovation . One of the selling points of solid state pouch cells for QS has been the safety issue (fire risk) so will be interesting how this plays out.

Last edited:
  • Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: dhanson865 and mltv