Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SS batteries might be safer, get higher energy density and charge faster. But will they be cheaper and will the difference in charge be that big compared to DBE 4680 LFP cells? Maybe, but I think that would be in a while after EV have already made ICEV obsolete. So betting on SS to save you is a fools end, rather it would be a slight competitive edge if you still are in the race for some applications... And I think Tesla will not be standing still, one day they will have batter day 2, reveal that they have caught up and using multiplier small innovations made an even better battery solution than suppliers have in their pipelines and suppliers will have to scramble to catch up...

Reactions: ReddyLeaf
So far I'm quite impressed with the presentation. They are further along than I expected.

JB has the best poker face. He's the one I trust the most and am waiting on him to chime in.

I hear a lot of cell-level / prototype info, but scant info on how easy/hard it will be to scale this tech up. That to me seems to be the fly in the ointment unless they reassure that manufacturing is cost effective, scalable, and long-lived.

I was less than impressed.

I mean yes it sounds like a great breakthrough for SS batts, but without any stats or numbers we really can’t tell how good these will be. It sounds promising but I wanted more (ANY) numbers. Also the timeline is further out than I expected, I have to wonder where Tesla’s 4680 will be in the next 5-7 years when QS goes to production?

Cost was the big thing I wanted to see. These could be the greatest cells in the world but if they are too costly compared to Li-Ion they won’t be very useful. Maybe solely for aviation and watercraft? Sounds like VW wants to use them but again, 5-7 years out is a LONG time away in this burgeoning EV market.

Long term into it. Bought in morning it opened as QS so not super early but I think in the bigger scope of time it will be early. They have been working on this, like many others, since I think 2011. I was swayed by JB being on the Board and believe VW needs a better and cheaper battery source than currently available for their large volume of cars to be produced down the road so believe there will be a lot of momentum to get to production as soon as possible and suspect VW might get a volume break or at least priority position when shipping, so a large ready customer. Their EVs aren’t scheduled for mass production for a number of years anyway. Also believe if anyone buys them out it would be VW. Of all the foreign legacy car companies having to make the switch to EVs, I see VW as likely to be the most successful.

As for Tesla, they need improved battery tech today and for the next few years for their increasing production levels, so don’t see this as a direct challenge to them for some time. Between their vehicles, PWs, MegaPacks, etc just for Tesla alone, efficient batteries will be in global demand. I have no doubt Tesla with its purchase of Maxwell sometime ago and with its current research is on track with their own solid state line. With the worldwide move to EVs, battery backups for solar and other uses as power sources combined with the lack of production and inventory, I think there will be more than enough room for QS when successful to be in the same market as Tesla and others without hurting each other. Simply not enough to go around.

I caught the last part of QS’s Battery Day presentation on Zoom and left me feeling good about our investment with a speculative foot in the door. Will go back to watch the earlier presentation showing the flexibility of it and the technical aspects. The entire “live” stream is now available on YT for replay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dadawinsk
Interestingly the QS stock price has been declining, a little, during the event, so the market doesn't think it is as good as they were hoping?

how many times have we seen Tesla or Apple for example have their stock price decline during or right after presentations only to go up sometimes dramatically hours or a few days later as it gets digested. Stock is currently up over 23% for the day right now.

from TheStreet:
“Drivers should be able to recharge their electric cars to 80% of capacity in only 15 minutes, the company said.

Its batteries should last about 12 years of normal use in a car with a range of at least 300 miles. And the batteries should be able to withstand subzero temperatures, QuantumScape said.”

While the range is what my 2018 Model 3 gets (good range for most people) the quick charging, fire potential resistance, more environmentally friendly aspects are all good selling points. Ability to hold charge in cold weather climates another big plus for many. Seeing what they are eventually able to get unit cost down to will be key.

Last edited: