Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All discussion of QuantumScape QS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick minor question......are we still unclear on the market cap of this company? Yahoo still says $20B and Google $560M. Kind of makes a difference in my opinion of QS.

CEO is on Mad Money tonight at 6pm Eastern if anyone's interested. Sold my small pile of shares, but might buy back in for cheaper some time off in the new year if the market cap is in reality under $1B.

KCAC had ~7m shares outstanding. They issued another ~368m to "buy" Quantumscape. That includes some unvested RSUs and options, warrants, etc., so you can't just multiply 375m by the stock price. But it gets you in the ballpark.

In that case, Yahoo appears to be correct. And I agree with the others who say $20B is too rich for this company at this stage. I sold some of my position last week and plowed it back into $TSLA but am still holding onto some shares.

I think Toyota's news about showing a prototype car next year with their solid state battery was responsible for taking alot of the wind out of QS's sail, sooner than otherwise. Sounds like any actual battery for their first car will still be sometime off. I expect QS stock to fluctuate, just like Teslas, every time some new challenger comes out in the press hyping the latest. From what I read about Toyota's announcement the car is expected to get 310 range miles so just at the level of my 2018 Tesla Model 3, but charging to 80% in 10 minutes. No info on achieved cycles, temperature range, etc. Really nothing else about their battery was released, so to me Toyota's announcement was just put out there to deflect from QS's positive presentation and battery expert comments on it as breakthrough and mainly done to give Toyota some press. I wasn't impressed in the slightest.

According to GreenCarReports quoted here, "The automaker expects electric cars powered by solid-state batteries to have more than twice the range of vehicles using current lithium-ion battery chemistry, with the ability to fully recharge in just 10 minutes, according to the report, which also said Toyota has over 1,000 patents related to solid-state batteries.

I have no idea what size battery they were talking about in their prototype car announcement but it's certainly not double the range I have in my Model 3, which is current lithium-ion battery chemistry, and only expect Tesla to get better. As QS's panelists said it's easy to tout one aspect of solid state research but having all the "and this and this and..." is what will be crucial.

While "Mitsui Mining and Smelting (also known as Mitsui Kinzoku) will build a pilot facility to make electrolyte for solid-state batteries, the report said. Located at an existing research and development center in Japan's Saitama Prefecture, the facility will be able to produce "dozens of tons" of solid electrolyte starting next year, enough to fulfill demand for prototypes, according to the report." No info on what that electrolyte will comprise. Just this summer Toyota's executive VP powertrain division said limited production of solid state batteries would start in 2025.

Toyota EV with solid-state batteries: 10-minute full charge, prototype reportedly due in 2021

Last edited:
I can't find a better thread for this:-
https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1339189756823945218

A team of researchers at the University of California San Diego has developed a flexible, rechargeable silver oxide-zinc battery with five to 10 times the areal energy density of the state of the art The battery is also easier to manufacture

He is a co-first author of the paper and a PhD student in the research group of Ying Shirley Meng, professor of nanotechnology at UC San Diego

Again, the battery performed better than commercially available Li button cells The printed battery cells were recharged for more than 80 cycles without showing major signs of capacity loss The cells also remained functional despite repeated bending and twisting

Tesla has a good relationship with Shirley, this battery is interesting and something they should keep tabs on.

The only potential draw back I can think of is cost of the raw materials particularly Silver.

Last edited:
I can't find a better thread for this:-
https://twitter.com/jpr007/status/1339189756823945218

Tesla has a good relationship with Shirley, this battery is interesting and something they should keep tabs on.

The only potential draw back I can think of is cost of the raw materials particularly Silver.

As I think Jagdeep or maybe one of the other panelist mentioned during their Battery Day, over 10 years they tested numerous other compositions and they all were passed on either due to cost or other factors that made them not a good, marketable solution as it needed to hit all the desirable features researchers want in a solid state for powering vehicles. Believe I heard them mention silver sulfides?? Here’s two charts they put up reflecting their testing results that might be helpful to people.

730E4FA1-CD62-4C66-8381-026F1A0A8B6B.png

4888615D-8328-402F-B842-8C7D8A001836.png

Last edited:
As I think Jagdeep or maybe one of the other panelist mentioned during their Battery Day, over 10 years they tried numerous other forms of electrolytes and they all were passed on either due to cost or other factors that made them not a good, marketable solution and one that could hit all the desirable features researchers want in a solid state.

Yes, price probably makes this battery a niche player for now, but they may be able to find a metal they could substitute for silver, or apply the manufacturing technique to a more conventional battery formula.

This is a bigger issue for QS IMO, not specifically this battery, but the chance someone has a product that equals or exceeds the capabilities of their battery.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ