Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All EV Rally, BC 2 BC (Canada 2 Mexico) June 2013

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I'm thinking I might be interested in doing the rally, especially if the CHAdeMO adapters are ready by then. Is it mandatory to take I-5 or would it be ok to divert through 101 between Eureka and south of the SF area? where are checkpoints and is there any more info? for a 3000 mile drive it is coming up relatively soon to plan something

thanks

So, I'm thinking I might be interested in doing the rally, especially if the CHAdeMO adapters are ready by then. Is it mandatory to take I-5 or would it be ok to divert through 101 between Eureka and south of the SF area? where are checkpoints and is there any more info? for a 3000 mile drive it is coming up relatively soon to plan something

thanks

You're welcome to drive wherever you like, but the checkpoints will be mandatory. I actually put some time in the planning just about everyday (and I've actually made this trip last year in reverse), so I know that some are anxious (imagine the Mitsubishi and LEAF guys with 60-80 miles ranges!!)

The four Stages are:

Peace Arch State Park, WA to Mc Donald's in San Ysidro, CA - Google Maps

June 29, 2013 - Start: Blaine, Washington at Peace Arch State Park

Stage 1. 529 miles

July 1-2, 2013 - Grant's Pass, Oregon (here, you can decide 199 to 101 south or continue on 5 south), La Quinta Inn, 243 Northeast Morgan Ln, Grants Pass, (541) 472-1808, $109

Overnight NEMA 14-50 "50 amp RV" service:

http://www.jackslandingrv.com, 247 NE Morgan Ln, Grants Pass, (541) 472-1144, $25

Rogue Valley Overniters :: Home Page, 1806 Northwest 6th Street, Grants Pass, (541) 479-2208, $30.25

Stage 2. 374 miles

July 4-5, 2013 - Santa Rosa, California - Hyatt Vineyard Creek, 170 Railroad St, (707) 284-1234, $111, numerous EVSE options in the area

Stage 3. 274 miles

July 6-7, 2013 - San Luis Obispo, California - Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, 333 Madonna Road, (805) 549-0800, $140, Four public Clipper Creek CS-40 EVSEs, free, no card required

Stage 4. 321 miles

End of Event - San Ysidro, California - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza

1508 miles total

Last edited:
hmm, sounds pretty interesting. How many people/vehicles did it last year and what sort of turnout is expected this year? I look for any excuse to drive my S these days :tongue:
+ we'd have a few places to stay along the trip

is this a rally with puzzles and riddles?

Just little ole me last year in a LEAF... before there was a Model S. I expect 5 - 10 cars this year. There will be a twist or two this year. At the check points there will be a draw of a card and the result will be a poker hand for each participant.

Tony - I was wondering if there are any gatherings, or other social / EV outreach sorts of events planned along the way.

As I begin my own planning, it will help to know if there are any events already planned along the way. I'm thinking this will make for a good opportunity to meet some of the other crazies - or at least the ones that live along I5, and that sounds like the makings of an excellent rolling party / road trip.

Tony - I was wondering if there are any gatherings, or other social / EV outreach sorts of events planned along the way.

As I begin my own planning, it will help to know if there are any events already planned along the way. I'm thinking this will make for a good opportunity to meet some of the other crazies - or at least the ones that live along I5, and that sounds like the makings of an excellent rolling party / road trip.

I could fill my frunk full of Ice and beer :tongue:

...a question (and now it shows 990 days sort of instead of 99?) what does Teslive have to do with the Rally / does it have anything to do with it?
Elons Bday is the day before, right? any significance

Ooh - and how does this line up with the EV day at Laguna Seca? So many questions.

It lines up PERFECTLY... we'll be on the Canook border while folks are racing EV's around Laguna Seca and others are climbing up Pikes Peak with EV's.

Update:

The hotel in San Luis Obispo is sold out, but there are several hotels in the area. I'll be at Marriott Courtyard.

Guys and Gals, there's not going to be border crossing with cars during this years event. I did cross both borders last year during the 2012 BC2BC solo run. If folks wish to cross borders, it is specifically not part of the rally.

I sincerely hope that we will have a strong showing of ALL models of electric vehicles at the Peace Arch park on Saturday, June 29, 2013. We plan to have government leaders and EV and transportation officials present from both the state of Washington and the province of British Columbia. The folks who organized and implemented the world class West Coast Electric Highway will also be there, as will members of the Electric Vehicle Association. Media will be present to bring public awareness to EVs.

Again, if you organize EV events, please consider hosting your event concurrent with the June 29 launch party at the Peace Arch starting at 9am until 12 noon when the first cars begin the rally. Also, we would like participation at:

July 2, 2013 - 9am, Grant's Pass, Oregon, La Quinta Inn, 243 Northeast Morgan Ln, Grants Pass, (541) 472-1808

July 5, 2013 - 9am, Santa Rosa, California - Hyatt Vineyard Creek, 170 Railroad St, (707) 284-1234

July 7, 2013 - 9am, San Luis Obispo, California - Embassy Suites San Luis Obispo, 333 Madonna Road, (805) 549-0800

While i would love a gathering at the end of the event at San Ysidro, California - McDonalds, 4449 Camino De La Plaza, on the afternoon through late evening of July 7, I also recognize that is tough to plan for. Still, I hope that at least some cars will have web based trackers that we can follow along and some folks might meet up there.

Last edited:
Can you provide details on how you sign up for this event. If we include a lockable petcock in the fuel line for the gasoline series generator and use an ID type wire lock - similar to electric meters - will this suffice for disconnecting the generator?

I assume that when you discuss Chase trucks this will not rule out our PSIDA ZEV Renegade etruck that will carry spare parts and tools and would be officially entered as an EV entry with the gasoline generator locked out. Is this correct? We plan on entering at least one PSIDA ZEV Commuter ecycle which is totally BEV and possibly the Renegade eSUV along with the etruck. The eSUV would also have the lockable petcock. All are DOT certified

What happens if you follow the speed limit but arrive much earlier then the Stage Overnight Point? Do we need to plan to stay until all participants arrive that are still in the race before next stage?

Hello again Tony, I have some followup questions also to make sure I have the right information for my own planning. Broadly speaking, I am planning to do the stages in a single day (2 for the first stage). But that will be dependent on what time I can start each stage. If I'm able to be on the road at 8am-ish, then 10-14h later I'd be at the end of the stage and settling in for the evening. If the stage departures aren't until noon though, then I'll need to plan differently.

EDIT: Reading for the win :) Looks like ~9am ish departures for Stages 2-4.

For start and stop days for the stages, here is how I am interpreting the schedule:
Stage 1: Depart noon June 29 from Blaine, WA; Arrive June 30 in Grants Pass.
Stage 2: Depart July 1 Grants Pass; Arrive July 3 Santa Rosa, CA
Stage 3: Depart July 4 Santa Rosa; Arrive July 5 San Luis Obispo
Stage 4: Depart July 6 San Luis Obispo; Arrive San Ysidro by July 7

Is this the right way to think of each arrival and departure?

I am thinking of Stage 1 in 2 segments (first segment covering Washington - it lets me sleep in my own bed in Portland :); second segment Portland to Grants Pass). The noon departure plus the visit / checkpoint at the car show makes it look like June 30 for Washington, and July 1 for Oregon though, as I don't see a lot of travel happening on the 29th.

Assuming the schedule above is correct, I'm seeing a cramped schedule to complete Stage 1, and then an extra day at the stage end for Stage 2 and 3. I'll be on vacation, so a day to hang out and see the sights isn't onerous (plus I'll have some homework to do, as I'll be attending an online class while on the road!). I want to make sure I have the right view of how the schedule is intended to work.

So the way I'm thinking of the schedule for myself:
Stage 1: start June 29, travel June 30 and July 1.
Stage 2: start and finish July 2
Stage 3: start and finish July 4
Stage 4: start and finish July 6

If I was a day behind on the arrival and departure for Stage 2 (so travel on June 30 and July 1 for Stage 1, depart for Stage 2 on July 2), how will that work out?

Thanks Tony!

Last edited:
Can you provide details on how you sign up for this event.... What happens if you follow the speed limit but arrive much earlier then the Stage Overnight Point? Do we need to plan to stay until all participants arrive that are still in the race before next stage?

To sign up is easy... Announce your intention to participate on this thread, or PM me, or send an email to TonyWilliams@QuickChargePower daught comm.

Officially, you can't break the overall speed limit, but that won't be a concern until EVs can drive the many hundreds of miles per stage on one charge. At the 70mph speed limit for most of the course, the Tesla Model S couldn't do it with about 240 miles of range.

If you arrive at the Stage Overnight Point early, great!!! The concept is to get there as soon as possible, then do whatever you want until launch time for the next Stage.

I suspect out departures from each Stage will be mid morning, except the first one at noon.

- - - Updated - - -

Hello again Tony, I have some followup questions also to make sure I have the right information for my own planning. Broadly speaking, I am planning to do the stages in a single day (2 for the first stage). But that will be dependent on what time I can start each stage. If I'm able to be on the road at 8am-ish, then 10-14h later I'd be at the end of the stage and settling in for the evening. If the stage departures aren't until noon though, then I'll need to plan differently.

EDIT: Reading for the win :) Looks like ~9am ish departures for Stages 2-4.

Yes, mid morning staggered starts. We will probably pull straws for the first one, then launch cars either in inverse order of arrival, or another straw pull.

For start and stop days for the stages, here is how I am interpreting the schedule:
Stage 1: Depart noon June 29 from Blaine, WA; Arrive June 30 in Grants Pass.
Stage 2: Depart July 1 Grants Pass; Arrive July 3 Santa Rosa, CA
Stage 3: Depart July 4 Santa Rosa; Arrive July 5 San Luis Obispo
Stage 4: Depart July 6 San Luis Obispo; Arrive San Ysidro by July 7

Is this the right way to think of each arrival and departure?

No. Departures from Stages will be:

June 29 at noon, 15 minute intervals by straw pull

July 2 at mid morning

July 5 at mid morning

July 7 at mid morning

End of rally late July 7

I am thinking of Stage 1 in 2 segments (first segment covering Washington - it lets me sleep in my own bed in Portland :); second segment Portland to Grants Pass). The noon departure plus the visit / checkpoint at the car show makes it look like June 30 for Washington, and July 1 for Oregon though, as I don't see a lot of travel happening on the 29th.

You can arrange things however you like, but the clock will be ticking until you arrive at the next Stage point. If you check in at Grants Pass June 29 with your hypersonic Tesla, then you can tour the sites at your leisure and do your homework until the next Stage departs on July 2 at mid morning.

Hi Tony - the questions continue (all detailed stuff). Thanks for the earlier responses - very helpful!

For the day before the start, have you identified somewhere to stay in the Blaine area with chargers? I'm thinking if you've already found some place to stay, and as long as they have enough chargers for the night before, then I'd rather stay at the same place. If you haven't identified a place to stay in the Blaine area, then I'll see what I can find as a place to stay and pass that info along when I have it.

At the end of the run, on July 7th, similar sort of question - have you identified a place to stay there? I'm assuming that after a day of driving to get to the final checkpoint, a nearby place to stay is a good idea.

Thanks!
Asoka

Hi Tony - the questions continue (all detailed stuff). Thanks for the earlier responses - very helpful!

For the day before the start, have you identified somewhere to stay in the Blaine area with chargers? I'm thinking if you've already found some place to stay, and as long as they have enough chargers for the night before, then I'd rather stay at the same place. If you haven't identified a place to stay in the Blaine area, then I'll see what I can find as a place to stay and pass that info along when I have it.

At the end of the run, on July 7th, similar sort of question - have you identified a place to stay there? I'm assuming that after a day of driving to get to the final checkpoint, a nearby place to stay is a good idea.

Thanks!
Asoka

I don't have a lot of those details firmed up for me, because I recognize that I may be spending a few nights in a sleeping bag in a tent!!! I'm personally still working on WHAT model of electric vehicle I will be driving, and whether to have the car shipped or driven there. There are advantages to both, honestly (a good "pre-run" in reverse may pay dividends when the contest begins).

I do have a verdict on checkpoints. They will be virtually every EV prominent place I can think of along the route. Instead of cards, you will take your picture with YOU, your CAR, and something that identifies the CHECKPOINT all in the same picture. The picture will be exchanged for cards at the Stage Overnight Points. The picture must contain the ACTUAL building; not just a sign.

So, start suggesting:

Telsa Store
435 Westlake Ave N
Seattle, WA 98109

Tesla Store
9585 SW Washington Square Road Suite #C06
Portland, OR 97223

Brammo Inc (electric motorcycle manufacturer)
Brammo Company Information
550 Clover Lane
Ashland, Oregon 97520

Tesla Motors (electric vehicle manufacturer)
45500 Fremont Blvd
Fremont, CA 94538

Tesla Store
333 Santana Row Suite 1035
San Jose, CA 95128

Zero Motorcycles (manufacturer of electric motorcycles)
ZERO MOTORCYCLES || CONTACT US || Electric Motorcycles
380 El Pueblo Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066

moving to:

New address - Zero Motorcycles
380 El Pueblo Road
Scotts Valley, CA 95066

Tesla Store
300 El Camino Real
Menlo Park, CA 94025

Tesla Store
6600 Topanga Canyon Boulevard
Canoga Park, CA 91303

Tesla Store
1227 3rd Street Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Tesla Store
10250 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite #133
Los Angeles, CA 90067

Tesla Store
367 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Tesla Store
4545 La Jolla Village Drive
San Diego CA 92122

Last edited:
I like that idea Tony! Of course, it's easier for me to like as I was planning to stop at most all of those places and sip a few electrons too :) I was probably going to skip a few going south, and then hit them up as I head north, so that when the trip was done, I could say that I had visited all of the Tesla stores on the West Coast. But I can hit 'em all up going south. Heck - maybe some of these places would like to make a minor event of the whole thing. As for additional places to visit, I won't be a very good source of additional EV related manufacturers or whatnot to visit - maybe some other folks have ideas they can add.

Using that list of checkpoints you provided Tony, I have made an attempt to sequence them and place them within the segment that they would be part of. This is a first pass at getting them into the right order. Realize that I don't know California geography at all really, so there's a good chance that a few of these need to be changed in order to make them flow well. Hopefully others who are planning out their routes will find this helpful. Due to the number of Tesla stores in CA, I've added their addresses as well to the list below, to help keep them straight (LA store is on Santa Monica Blvd - how is that fair when there's also a store in Santa Monica?? :wink:)

Stage 1 Checkpoints (in suggested driving order)
1- Greenwood Auto Show
2- Bellevue Tesla Store
3- Portland Tesla Store
4- Grants Pass / stage end

Stage 2 Checkpoints (in suggested driving order)
1- Brammo Inc
2- Santa Rosa / stage end

Stage 3 Checkpoints (suggested driving order)
1- Menlo Park Tesla Store (300 El Camino Real Menlo Park, CA 94025)
2- Tesla HQ (45500 Fremont Blvd Fremont, CA 94538 )
3- Santana Row Tesla Store (333 Santana Row Suite 1035 San Jose, CA 95128)
4- Zero Motorcycles
5- San Luis Obispo / stage end

Stage 4 (suggested driving order)
1- Topanga Tesla Store (6600 Topanga Canyon Boulevard Canoga Park, CA 91303)
2- Los Angeles Tesla Store (10250 Santa Monica Blvd, Suite #133 Los Angeles, CA 90067)
3- Santa Monica Tesla Store (1227 3rd Street Promenade Santa Monica, CA 90401)
4- Newport Beach Tesla Store (367 Newport Center Drive Newport Beach, CA 92660)
5- San Diego Tesla Store (4545 La Jolla Village Drive San Diego CA 92122 )
6- San Ysidro / stage end

Questions - did I miss any? Have I put any of these in an order that you (anybody) thinks is backwards?

Thanks,
Asoka