Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can do is just laugh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand the pain of getting a trunk full of snow, if you're not paying attention. However I'm unclear how you can live in a snowy area and not know to wipe off before opening something. Old time'y trunk, side doors, whatever. If that stuff piles on you gotta clear it before opening or it'll fall in. Damn stuff will fall backwards into open doors (swirling of air from opening fast will pull chunks of the powdery, fluffy stuff in).

I had a vehicle that looked roughly like this, and had to be sure to clear off after driving even if I hadn't been going fast enough to knock off the drift buildup along the top, back edge above the window.

Jeep Liberty (KJ) - Wikipedia

If you can't count on something like that to not have snow fall in?

I understand the pain of getting a trunk full of snow, if you're not paying attention. However I'm unclear how you can live in a snowy area and not know to wipe off before opening something.

My previous cars have been a 1995 Ford Taurus, 2006 Mazda 6 and a 2012 Ford Mustang. None of these cars had an issue with snow pouring like an avalanche off of the back window into the trunk when it was opened. Taking care of the doors before opening them sure, that’s a given, but I’ve never experienced snow intrusion to this extent before with any previous vehicle.

My previous cars have been a 1995 Ford Taurus, 2006 Mazda 6 and a 2012 Ford Mustang. None of these cars had an issue with snow pouring like an avalanche off of the back window into the trunk when it was opened. Taking care of the doors before opening them sure, that’s a given, but I’ve never experienced snow intrusion to this extent before with any previous vehicle.
Same damn problem was there. Same damn solution now.

Clear it before opening. Quibbling about magnitude if you don't do it doesn't matter then, right?

Reactions: DR61
@PoitNarf: i decided to see what was magical about your previous cars' design that prevented snow from sliding into the trunk.

1995 Ford Taurus:
3510090010_large.jpg

2006 Mazda 6:
67632002.jpg

2012 Ford Mustang:
2012_00027_13.jpg

With the exception of the mustang, where the trunk lid leaves a thinner gap with the trunk opening, you're going to get snow sliding into the trunk. There's no fundamental difference in design. You have sloping glass pointed right at the trunk opening.

@PoitNarf: i decided to see what was magical about your previous cars' design that prevented snow from sliding into the trunk.

1995 Ford Taurus:
3510090010_large.jpg

2006 Mazda 6:
67632002.jpg

2012 Ford Mustang:
2012_00027_13.jpg

With the exception of the mustang, where the trunk lid leaves a thinner gap with the trunk opening, you're going to get snow sliding into the trunk. There's no fundamental difference in design. You have sloping glass pointed right at the trunk opening.

I can’t believe you took the time to search for and post photos of the different trunks of my previous cars :D

Anyway, I stand by my statement that there is a greater likelihood of large amounts of snow falling into the trunk when it is opened compared to the other cars I’ve had in the past. The rear window is at a steeper slope and is much larger than my other cars. And yes, I will be putting the snow brush in the cabin from now on.

I can’t believe you took the time to search for and post photos of the different trunks of my previous cars :D

Anyway, I stand by my statement that there is a greater likelihood of large amounts of snow falling into the trunk when it is opened compared to the other cars I’ve had in the past. The rear window is at a steeper slope and is much larger than my other cars. And yes, I will be putting the snow brush in the cabin from now on.

i was genuinely interested to know how other sedans/coupes prevent this from happening because I've never seen anything unique about any of the trunk designs. It's very likely that something about Tesla's fastback design will dump MORE snow into the trunk because the glass is more convex, but given how I adapted to the situation with my first car in New England (1995 Honda Civic), I likely got enough snow in the trunk to teach me to leave my brush in the passenger footwells.

In the end, it's such an easy issue to mitigate; the outcry seems disproportionate to the issue, and the "designed in California" comments are a non sequitur.

Anyway, I stand by my statement that there is a greater likelihood of large amounts of snow falling into the trunk when it is opened compared to the other cars I’ve had in the past.
Because you're in such a hurry to drive the Model 3 that you forget to clear first? :cool:

Because of the prenaturally aerodynamic sex-on-wheels window curves, if you screw up and forget yes there is a better chance for it to be a bigger dump. But that's
1) kinda on you
2) means an awesome upside of having prenaturally aerodynamic sex-on-wheels car

With all the rain in California's Bay Area, I've had the same problem but with water running into the trunk when opened--not as bad as the snow! Just have to remember not to open the trunk in the rain.... I still love the car....
I keep a squeegee and rag in the rear seat door pocket to deal with this. Squeegee off the accumulated rain on the rear window before opening the trunk; use the rag to blot up any that gets into the trunk.

Reactions: jculbeaux