Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can say after almost 6 years of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$58? for the whole job? Filters are $26 and Mobil service in 2022 was $150 per hour, minimum charge. Look it up.
Current cost for one Model 3 cabin filter at shop.tesla.com is $17. Two are required, so total parts cost is $34 (plus tax).

Three years ago (July 2021) I had mobile service out to my house to replace the filters. As I had a set already on hand, I was only charged labor. That was $31.50. The quoted labor rate at that time was $210/hr. Doing the math, that's a 9 minute job. I can't see how the labor time would increase over the years for a similar car. Unless, of course, Tesla's original estimate for doing the job was woefully underrated. From my post referenced above, the total time the tech took on my car to do both the cabin filter replacement and re-sealing my front upper control arms was 20 minutes. Since I'm only about 15 miles from the Santa Clara service center, I assume I'm within the "no extra charge for travel" region.

Current cost for one Model 3 cabin filter at shop.tesla.com is $17. Two are required, so total parts cost is $34 (plus tax).

Three years ago (July 2021) I had mobile service out to my house to replace the filters. As I had a set already on hand, I was only charged labor. That was $31.50. The quoted labor rate at that time was $210/hr. Doing the math, that's a 9 minute job. I can't see how the labor time would increase over the years for a similar car. Unless, of course, Tesla's original estimate for doing the job was woefully underrated. From my post referenced above, the total time the tech took on my car to do both the cabin filter replacement and re-sealing my front upper control arms was 20 minutes. Since I'm only about 15 miles from the Santa Clara service center, I assume I'm within the "no extra charge for travel" region.
Curious..how far away are from a Tesla Service Center?

My experience is very different. Everything was great until 6 1/2 years. I took my model S into the dealership for tire rotation, frunk not opening, and brake cleaning and inspection. The car was / is running fine.

Tesla presents me with a “revised” repair estimate of $7,578.00. They say the front end has problems, all rotors need replacing (not the pads), etc. etc.

I asked is the car safe to drive and they said, these are all safety issues!

I expected a lot more from Tesla. I spent over $100K to buy a well made, American vehicle that would NOT run into these kinds of problems. Sorry to say, but I have gone from being a huge Tesla supporter to dropping them. I need a reliable vehicle and Tesla just told me I don’t have one. Time to move on. Not a good sign for this company long term.
Hmmm... do you have pics of these bad rotors? Seems a bit odd. How about a pic of the so-called "estimate"? Rotors aren't almost $8k. What else are they doing?

As for $7578 CAD, after 6 ½yrs, that's not good, but also not bad. Have you ever owned a BMW?

Reactions: fredjan
Hmmm... do you have pics of these bad rotors? Seems a bit odd. How about a pic of the so-called "estimate"? Rotors aren't almost $8k. What else are they doing?

As for $7578 CAD, after 6 ½yrs, that's not good, but also not bad. Have you ever owned a BMW?
At 6.5 years, I would expect part of the suspension to be worn out. At least a good chunk of that quote would definitely be replacement of suspension parts.
Iirc, one control arm (upper or lower) in a model 3 is already $400. So that would already be $1600 to replace all four front control arms. And that's in a model 3! A model S would surely be more expensive.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
$58? for the whole job? Filters are $26 and Mobil service in 2022 was $150 per hour, minimum charge. Look it up.
Tesla normally charges less than their minimum to put parts on. I had to have my aero shield replaced last year. The parts were $166.32 and labor was $43.20. I assure you that it took them more than 18 minutes to replace it (and would have taken me even longer, especially considering I do not have ramps).

Now I remember..I think......we live about 100 miles from the Tesla service "station", so "out of the no cost mobile area? Just guessing because of bad memory.
Oh OK, that might be it why they charge you more than $58+tax for the air filter mobile service. I scheduled through the app and the service center is about 30 miles from my address.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm seeing model S rotors starting around $130 or so. So yeah, I'd look closely at that estimate.

I've owned my 2020 M3LR for 4 years (32K miles) and it's been a great car so far. I've had the right side rear tail light replaced for water intrusion and the plastic inside panel by the driver's side pillar re-seated with new clips. Other than those, I've had no issues. It drives as smooth as day 1.

Reactions: T4M3
I just traded in my 2019 M3 for a new MY. I had 106,000 miles on it. I did have a few repairs over the years, but overall not bad. Had to replace the suspension, which was dumb, because it was only a few months before I traded the car in, but at the time I thought I’d be keeping it for a while. I absolutely loved my M3, and it will go down as my favorite car ever. To go from a crappy Subaru Forrester, to the model three was life-changing.

I admit it: I am now a Tesla fanboy. I do have my complaints. But I love the MY and loved the M3.

Reactions: T4M3 and john5520