Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All I can say after almost 6 years of ownership

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I can say after almost 6 years of ownership (10/18 purchase) is that it has been a great experience! This is my wife's vehicle, she is he ultimate
"test driver" and can manage to break anything over a period of time. Outside of 3 broken windshields, no major problems. 1 set of tires.
Soon to take it in for cabin air filter, tire rotation, and brake check.

The early windshields did crack from just a thought of it.

All I can say after almost 6 years of ownership (10/18 purchase) is that it has been a great experience! This is my wife's vehicle, she is he ultimate
"test driver" and can manage to break anything over a period of time. Outside of 3 broken windshields, no major problems. 1 set of tires.
Soon to take it in for cabin air filter, tire rotation, and brake check.
The air cabin filter is easy to change, including evaporator cleaning. Lots of DIY videos out there.

My experience is very different. Everything was great until 6 1/2 years. I took my model S into the dealership for tire rotation, frunk not opening, and brake cleaning and inspection. The car was / is running fine.

Tesla presents me with a “revised” repair estimate of $7,578.00. They say the front end has problems, all rotors need replacing (not the pads), etc. etc.

I asked is the car safe to drive and they said, these are all safety issues!

I expected a lot more from Tesla. I spent over $100K to buy a well made, American vehicle that would NOT run into these kinds of problems. Sorry to say, but I have gone from being a huge Tesla supporter to dropping them. I need a reliable vehicle and Tesla just told me I don’t have one. Time to move on. Not a good sign for this company long term.

Hehe, I guess it might depend on where you live but around here “well made” and “American vehicle” wouldn’t normally belong together. Neither French.

My Model 3 has had all three large glass pieces replaced and now intermittently complains about a safety restraint system fault. When I tried to have Tesla look at that under warranty they couldn’t find anything, “it just went away on its own”.

Otherwise I like it. Main complaint would be the bad visibility.

My experience is very different. Everything was great until 6 1/2 years. I took my model S into the dealership for tire rotation, frunk not opening, and brake cleaning and inspection. The car was / is running fine.

Tesla presents me with a “revised” repair estimate of $7,578.00. They say the front end has problems, all rotors need replacing (not the pads), etc. etc.

I expected a lot more from Tesla. I spent over $100K to buy a well made, American vehicle that would NOT run into these kinds of problems. Sorry to say, but I have gone from being a huge Tesla supporter to dropping them. I need a reliable vehicle and Tesla just told me I don’t have one. Time to move on. Not a good sign for this company long term.
How many miles?

Did you ever have the brakes lubricated before then? Surprised to hear all 4 went bad at once.

My model S is over 7 years with 112k miles and still doing very well. And that’s with super salty roads.

Get a second opinnion from another repair shop before committing to anything (also ask them to explain why). Tesla doesn't do repairs the most cost effective way.

Reactions: fredjan and rpiotro
Our Model 3 is exactly 2 1/2 years old with 25,379 miles. Grand son with big feet stepped on the seat horizontal control lever, getting into the car. It keeps falling off, and it broke off a plastic pin inside the unit. I super glued a very small screw in its place. Has been working for 2 years. Tesla would probably require many hundreds of dollars to fix. Other than that...the black plastic triangular plastic thing next to the rear view mirror (exterior of car) has a gap..needs to be re glue? attached again. A rattle that seems to be coming from where or under where the center of the steering wheel horn...Driving me crazy. Other than that no problems, just the normal glitch's and reset that happens every so often. Not built like the Audi's we had, but I love it anyway.

If you are a 5'3", 110 lb. contortionist. Mobile service will come out and do it for you. $58 USD. Parts, labor and tax for the filters. A no brainer for this 6'1'', 190lb. 73-year-old.
Well, whatever. I had no problems. Not 6', but 5'10" 176lbs. and 72 years old. Took about 1/2 hour because I used the spray can cleaner and tube that goes down were the filters go..to clean it out. But you, unlike you, perhaps..I am retired and bored most of the time. $58 really?

Unpopular opinion, but $7-8k in repairs for an almost 7-year old $100k luxury vehicle is not outrageous.
The alternative is to get a whole new car payment... which will be way more expensive than the money quoted to keep your car running.

If you want a reliable American car with cheap repair costs, maybe get a Corvette? Lol

Edit: based on the front end comment, it also sounds like part of your car's suspension needed to be replaced? Which wouldn't be too out of the ordinary timing-wise.

Reactions: Lindenwood