Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to know how a lawyer will know if you unplugged your speaker or if you purchased it prior to them being included. That would be a hell of a lawyer and worth every cent!!!

It's silly. Any car's road noise (tire/road friction) is much louder than the artificial sound at any speed likely to dangerous. The car has 8 cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and 1 radar sensor, can distinguish between an SUV and a traffic cone, can read stop signs and traffic lights, and auto-brakes. No one will be saved by this annoyance. And if some lawyer finds my wire disconnected, I'll just tell him "It's a Tesla - a lot of the stuff doesn't work. Get used to it!"

It's silly. Any car's road noise (tire/road friction) is much louder than the artificial sound at any speed likely to dangerous. The car has 8 cameras, 12 ultrasonic sensors and 1 radar sensor, can distinguish between an SUV and a traffic cone, can read stop signs and traffic lights, and auto-brakes. No one will be saved by this annoyance. And if some lawyer finds my wire disconnected, I'll just tell him "It's a Tesla - a lot of the stuff doesn't work. Get used to it!"

Not to mention that if you hit a pedestrian there isn't much more a lawyer needs, there are very strict laws about this sort of thing.

Why do you think they added the PWS for then?
This has been much discussed upthread. A major reason for the noisemaker was to aid the blind in hearing approaching slow-speed cars before stepping out into traffic. A problem with it is that crowded cities can be so noisy that the noisemaker won't be heard, while in quiet places it is more obtrusive than needed. It is something of a compromise.

Might also get sued if their lawyer finds out i didnt count [three seconds] at a stop sign.
Every state law I have looked at only specifies a "full and complete stop" or some substantively identical version thereof, not one statute I have seen specifies a duration to remain stopped (three seconds or otherwise) notwithstanding some flavor of "proceed[ing] after ensuring the road way is clear" and that the driver in question has right-of-way.

(Despite rumors to the contrary, stop signs with white borders are not optional :) )

Every state law I have looked at only specifies a "full and complete stop" or some substantively identical version thereof, not one statute I have seen specifies a duration to remain stopped (three seconds or otherwise) notwithstanding some flavor of "proceed[ing] after ensuring the road way is clear" and that the driver in question has right-of-way.

(Despite rumors to the contrary, stop signs with white borders are not optional :) )

I got that from a cop lecture after i got pulled over for doing a <insert state> stop: aka rollstop. For someone reason it stuck with me.
I got off with a warning tho :D

I consider stop signs on private property, such as store parking lots and shopping malls to be optional. Haven't a clue whether that is really true or not since I never bothered to research it. ;)

In a former life, I was a cop. In my state, traffic control devices (stop signs, one-way signs, etc.) on private property are not subject to the state's Motor Vehicle code unless the property owner grants the police the authority to patrol and write summonses (and the signs must comply with state standards). We had a big mall in our town and the mall wanted stop signs enforced (and they wanted cops patrolling), so we wrote more than a few stop sign tickets, but generally only when an accident occurred.

And yes - full and complete stop and you must yield to oncoming traffic. Easiest way is to focus on the rims, not the bumper. Much easier to catch the slow roll. Around here, people approach the stop sign with the intent to merely slow down and only stop when another car is coming. As we used to say - all you need to know is written on the sign: STOP. No asterisk for *if no one is coming, *if you feel like it, *if there's no cop around, *or go slow, that's fine, too.

No seriously, if you hit and injure a pedestrian you are in some sh*t. If someone can prove you disconnected the sound or not ain't gonna be more than the thin icing on a brittle cake. Anyway, you were probably drunk which ain't gonna work in your favor...........

unless you hit the pedestrian below 20kmh there is no noise anyway.

It's silly. Any car's road noise (tire/road friction) is much louder than the artificial sound at any speed likely to dangerous. ... No one will be saved by this annoyance.
I disagree with this (though won't give a thumbs down). I will admit that I have not heard the noise, but I can assure that I have had MANY instances of coming up behind people at a slower speed and they did NOT hear me coming. Not people wearing headphones and it is usually not a noisy area (it is often in the alley in our condo complex).

Reactions: Gasaraki