Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Model 3s built since 9/1/2019 have a pedestrian warning speaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In a former life, I was a cop. In my state, traffic control devices (stop signs, one-way signs, etc.) on private property are not subject to the state's Motor Vehicle code unless the property owner grants the police the authority to patrol and write summonses (and the signs must comply with state standards). We had a big mall in our town and the mall wanted stop signs enforced (and they wanted cops patrolling), so we wrote more than a few stop sign tickets, but generally only when an accident occurred.

And yes - full and complete stop and you must yield to oncoming traffic. Easiest way is to focus on the rims, not the bumper. Much easier to catch the slow roll. Around here, people approach the stop sign with the intent to merely slow down and only stop when another car is coming. As we used to say - all you need to know is written on the sign: STOP. No asterisk for *if no one is coming, *if you feel like it, *if there's no cop around, *or go slow, that's fine, too.
I live in a remote rural area where hardly anyone comes to a full stop at the remote intersections unless there is cross traffic. And we don't have painted lines on the roads, even when they are paved. It is different in crowded cities — pretty much everyone comes to a stop, myself included.

Reactions: MitchMitch
I live in a remote rural area where hardly anyone comes to a full stop at the remote intersections unless there is cross traffic. And we don't have painted lines on the roads, even when they are paved. It is different in crowded cities — pretty much everyone comes to a stop, myself included.
In NC, I'm convinced that if we swapped yield and stop signs, everything would work as intended.

As for the pedestrian warning speaker, if it really bothers you, chew through the wire and blame a mouse...

• Funny
Reactions: dgpcolorado
The reason this discussion is so bizarre is who in the hell is going to hit a pedestrian, especially at low speed? For anyone awake, alert, not on drugs or alcohol, not with failing eyesight, or having a stroke, meaning for a competent and legal driver........you will run over dozens of winning lottery tickets before hitting a pedestrian. For the others, a little car squeaking ain't gonna change a thing. And for the other freak ways people will argue this could happen, same thing, a little noise will not prevent that. Will not slow that bicycle that comes out of nowhere at speed, prevent that zebra from smashing your windshield, stop that cripple baby crawling under your parked car, or stop blah blah blah. Ain't gonna stop that deer neither. Driving is not about having a loudspeaker warning anything with ears to clear the way, it's about don't hit sh*t...........

The reason this discussion is so bizarre is who in the hell is going to hit a pedestrian, especially at low speed? For anyone awake, alert, not on drugs or alcohol, not with failing eyesight, or having a stroke, meaning for a competent and legal driver........you will run over dozens of winning lottery tickets before hitting a pedestrian. For the others, a little car squeaking ain't gonna change a thing. And for the other freak ways people will argue this could happen, same thing, a little noise will not prevent that. Will not slow that bicycle that comes out of nowhere at speed, prevent that zebra from smashing your windshield, stop that cripple baby crawling under your parked car, or stop blah blah blah. Ain't gonna stop that deer neither. Driving is not about having a loudspeaker warning anything with ears to clear the way, it's about don't hit sh*t...........

I basically have to crawl on the opposite sides of the road when children are walking down the street facing away from me, because kids aren’t exactly known for following great street crossing etiquette. I’ve had kids basically leap in front of my car not looking while running to the other side of the street.

What a bizarrely weird thing to be pious about - people live their whole life understanding what a car sounds like going down the road. Whether you want to acknowledge that or not doesn’t change the fact that it’s used as a indicator for people who are walking around.

I don’t think “being right” on my dash cam is going to be much consolation for striking a child. These are for safety.

I basically have to crawl on the opposite sides of the road when children are walking down the street facing away from me, because kids aren’t exactly known for following great street crossing etiquette. I’ve had kids basically leap in front of my car not looking while running to the other side of the street.

What a bizarrely weird thing to be pious about - people live their whole life understanding what a car sounds like going down the road. Whether you want to acknowledge that or not doesn’t change the fact that it’s used as a indicator for people who are walking around.

I don’t think “being right” on my dash cam is going to be much consolation for striking a child. These are for safety.

Right, and you should drive precisely the same way around children when in an ICE vehicle. Children live their whole lives understanding what a car sounds like? The argument wobbles. If you hit a child with your car there's a problem waaaaaaaay beyond a little sound. I hit a child because THEY didn't hear ME? That ain't gonna fly. Take responsibility for controlling the box you're moving through space in. Assume all pedestrians, and especially children, have no clue you are even in the neighborhood. The responsibility is yours. Don't hit sh*t.......

Reactions: Phlier and dahaz22
Do you work for an anti-pedestrian speaker company? Lmao

No need to reply twice - we get it. You’re emotionally involved.

Oh, stop it already. We? Emotionally involved, oy vey! You can do better than that. Arguments that hold at least solid water, and without the ad hominin fallacies, not to mention the other logical wobbles. Deep breath, preparation, this ain't personal.

Last edited:
Funny question, does anyone know what the pedestrian warning speaker connector looks like on the MCU side? Back in July 2019 when I was inspecting whether my March SR+ had HW3 installed I noticed an odd loose connector in the dash. At the time, nobody knew what it was, and I'm wondering whether all SR+ have the harness/speaker, and just don't have them plugged in (it's the connector with red and green wires)

IMG_20190603_154350070.jpg