Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Pre-June Orders Delivered by End of September

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've decided to cancel - the money I was going to use is going against the mortgage instead. Given that I've had the reservation fee locked up for 2 years and the deposit for 6, a few more months would not matter and I would quench my curiosity as to when I would have actually received my car. So I'll cancel when they get in contact. I have not ruled out waiting a year or two before coming back to Tesla to buy so I'd like to see what customer service is like and see if they'll do anything to redeem themselves.

So you're basically going to wait until they allocate you a car and then cancel at the last minute. Don't be a dick about it and just cancel it now so someone else will get that car a little earlier.

I'd love to know how many M3s have been ordered, how many have already been delivered and how many are still waiting to be delivered, but it's all speculation. Still, the SFL Conductor arrived at Zeebrugge on Monday and there are three other ships due in the next 3/4 weeks so that must surely go a long way towards clearing the backlog.

Reactions: Epico
"EXCEPT those with a Towbar".

2017 reservation, 1 May 18 order, added tow hitch on first day available after Tesla told me it would not affect delivery date. Now pointing delivery into Q4.

I'd already decided I will cancel my order because of the experience. This further vindicates this decision. Absolutely zero benefit for being an early supporter. Ironically, it has been a detrimental experience and driven me away from the brand.

The only reason that I haven't cancelled yes is I actually want to know if they even recognise how atrocious the experience has been when they call to ask for the final payment.

Good idea. It's probably the only way you will be able to explain the way you feel about the whole process. Would you have ordered without a towbar if you knew the delivery date would be December (for example)?

I have a specific appointment for 3pm 4th September for an SR+ and tow bar from Edinburgh SC. Ordered 13th July. I had reservation April 16.

What other options did you go for and were you an EST finance customer?

I'd love to know how many M3s have been ordered, how many have already been delivered and how many are still waiting to be delivered, but it's all speculation. Still, the SFL Conductor arrived at Zeebrugge on Monday and there are three other ships due in the next 3/4 weeks so that must surely go a long way towards clearing the backlog.

I do think a lot of have been ordered in the last few months, especially in the last 2 weeks. What car gave a very good write up, that sways a lot of people

Just been to West Drayton to see if they can give me any more info and the guy I spoke to came across very condescending, with a "why are you bothering me" kind of attitude. Which, if I'm honest is not too dissimilar to a usual car dealership.

First, the showroom is abandoned and they took over the building next to it.

The guy at the delivery desk was the one I talked to.

First thing I noticed was that, really, it was not that busy. I saw one or 2 people arrive. There were maybe 10 models 3s outside, all dirty and dusty (clearly not for delivery).

Here is what I asked him:

Q Where is my car?
A I can see that it's in transit, which for UK probably means it's on a ship. It takes 3 months to ship from US to UK*, and you will get yours by end of September early October. We are delivering thousands of cars and we already have orders for all of next year.

* Pretty sure he meant the time from order to delivery rather than just transit to the UK

Q Really you have that many orders? I though it was about 7000
A No, much more than that, tens of thousands of orders.*

* Kind of think hes bullshitting at this point if I'm being honest... But chose not to argue the point.

Q Can I change to a similar spec to get an earlier delivery? Is there anything already available
A No, everything is built to order and we don't have any "spares".

Q Is the delay due to a spec change from white to black?
A Yes, they build them in batches, so when you changed color you went to the back of the "white" queue at that point.

That I can sort of believe, so effectively I have a queue/order date of 16th of July in staid of 8th of May. so 16th of May to ~1st of October is kind of ~3 months. Depending on shipping of course and other back orders etc.

Still, would be nice to know when Fremont is building what spec.... Or at least have an update on the particular spec you are ordering.

Just the whole "delivered in this month + 1" estimate on the website is complete bullshit unless they have existing inventory.

I think they have an order database spitting out job lots when it reaches critical mass. I.e. 1000 RHD SR+ White reached, it goes to be built that day and shipped, then the next lot of 1000 etc. And the tow-bar job lot hasn't reached that amount yet so no one produced them, or only one batch made. If your order is stuck between batches, bad luck.

And honestly it feels like a shitty way to work.

Just been to West Drayton to see if they can give me any more info and the guy I spoke to came across very condescending, with a "why are you bothering me" kind of attitude. Which, if I'm honest is not too dissimilar to a usual car dealership.

First, the showroom is abandoned and they took over the building next to it.

The guy at the delivery desk was the one I talked to.

First thing I noticed was that, really, it was not that busy. I saw one or 2 people arrive. There were maybe 10 models 3s outside, all dirty and dusty (clearly not for delivery).

Here is what I asked him:

Q Where is my car?
A I can see that it's in transit, which for UK probably means it's on a ship. It takes 3 months to ship from US to UK*, and you will get yours by end of September early October. We are delivering thousands of cars and we already have orders for all of next year.

* Pretty sure he meant the time from order to delivery rather than just transit to the UK

Q Really you have that many orders? I though it was about 7000
A No, much more than that, tens of thousands of orders.*

* Kind of think hes bullshitting at this point if I'm being honest... But chose not to argue the point.

Q Can I change to a similar spec to get an earlier delivery? Is there anything already available
A No, everything is built to order and we don't have any "spares".

Q Is the delay due to a spec change from white to black?
A Yes, they build them in batches, so when you changed color you went to the back of the "white" queue at that point.

That I can sort of believe, so effectively I have a queue/order date of 16th of July in staid of 8th of May. so 16th of May to ~1st of October is kind of ~3 months. Depending on shipping of course and other back orders etc.

Still, would be nice to know when Fremont is building what spec.... Or at least have an update on the particular spec you are ordering.

Just the whole "delivered in this month + 1" estimate on the website is complete bullshit unless they have existing inventory.

I think they have an order database spitting out job lots when it reaches critical mass. I.e. 1000 RHD SR+ White reached, it goes to be built that day and shipped, then the next lot of 1000 etc. And the tow-bar job lot hasn't reached that amount yet so no one produced them, or only one batch made. If your order is stuck between batches, bad luck.

Yep sounds like a moron who doesn’t know his job, best stay on the forum and ask than go to the store!

Yep sounds like a moron who doesn’t know his job, best stay on the forum and ask than go to the store!

Yeah I didn't get a good feeling from that visit. The reception area had 2 chairs in a corner and one big desk (which he sat behind). I had to stand to talk to him while he sat... Other Tesla people in an out with a half filled cardboard box labeled "trade-ins" in the corner.

There were no huge amounts of people, or loads of clean cars ready for handover (unless they were round back somewhere). Just didn't look "we are handing over 100 cars per day".

Not saying that they don't just didn't have that vibe...

And they clearly didn't care for any potential new customers, got turned into just a delivery center.

I don't doubt that is they way they work but when you have one factory and one line available to build Model 3 the nit seems the best approach to take.
We are now conditioned that when we buy on line we expect next day delivery and tracking numbers and maps showing us that the driver is 6 stops away. Tesla want that online buying experience for the consumer but fail to deliver.
But in saying that, the "Estimated delivery: September" for any spec combination when it is 29th Aug is taking the piss.

Yeah I didn't get a good feeling from that visit. The reception area had 2 chairs in a corner and one big desk (which he sat behind). I had to stand to talk to him while he sat... Other Tesla people in an out with a half filled cardboard box labeled "trade-ins" in the corner.

There were no huge amounts of people, or loads of clean cars ready for handover (unless they were round back somewhere). Just didn't look "we are handing over 100 cars per day".

Not saying that they don't just didn't have that vibe...

And they clearly didn't care for any potential new customers, got turned into just a delivery center.

Sounds like a typical car dealer in the UK to be honest, not really caring about what is going on unless they can personally benefit from the sale, I have found the stores abroad to be better and the UK ones a bit patronising and just seeing you as another customer whilst reading off their robotic speech, exception being Tesla Knutsford who were good when I spoke with them a while back.

Last edited:
Sounds like a typical car dealer in the UK to be honest, not really caring about what is going on unless they can personally benefit from the sale, I have found the stores abroad to be better and the UK ones a bit patronising and just seeing you as another customer whilst reading off their robotic speech, exception being Tesla Stockport who were good when I spoke with them a while back.
The best Tesla experiences I’ve had have been at Stockport and Knutsford. In fact if Knutsford had been a service centre I would have collected from there. Quite friendly at Bluewater too. Worst have been Birmingham and Fully Charged Live, with that old “couldn’t give a flying f” attitude. ;)

The best Tesla experiences I’ve had have been at Stockport and Knutsford. In fact if Knutsford had been a service centre I would have collected from there. Quite friendly at Bluewater too. Worst have been Birmingham and Fully Charged Live, with that old “couldn’t give a flying f” attitude. ;)

Yes my mistake I meant staff from Knutsford not Stockport.

Even though they are supposed to represent the brand for better or worse the staff on the frontline don't have much affect on the actual products which fortunately means we can get a good product even though the customer service is non existent, perhaps when Tesla makes more money they can send some staff on a customer service course!

We are now conditioned that when we buy on line we expect next day delivery and tracking numbers and maps showing us that the driver is 6 stops away.

It's 2019 and wouldn't be crazy to track the car from first boot in factory - the Tesla account could happily show all this, PDI footage and track itself getting onto a ship, off the docks etc. They could even film your car going through the factory without giving away too many trade secrets.

So am I right in thinking, you order car on line, then you wait till it is built, and time from built to you getting the car is about 3 months?

There are people that have ordered and have had pick up dates in less than 3 months. It feels like the bar person is pouring pints randomly and the person at the till is asking is "anyone waiting for a pint of 'x' ?"

I feel like I'm waiting for a pint of Guinness and someone has just gone down to the cellar to change the keg :(

Last edited: