Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All Teslas inadmissible for import into Canada? (Update: US cars can now be imported to Canada - 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the big problem for Tesla here is that if the VIN is a U.S. VIN, then updates will be the U.S. update. Using this update for a "converted" car might brick your car
If Elon actually follows through on the promise implicit in his recent tweet, “you should be allowed to move your Tesla anywhere in the world, unless it’s prevented by government rules” then Tesla should be able to figure out how to update US cars located in Canada.

If Elon actually follows through on the promise implicit in his recent tweet, “you should be allowed to move your Tesla anywhere in the world, unless it’s prevented by government rules” then Tesla should be able to figure out how to update US cars located in Canada.
I think he's referring to the normal importing of cars because you're moving to Canada (or whatever country). In that case, the U.S. specs would not have to be changed because you're importing your car as part of "household goods". That's far different than living in Canada and importing a new car, which would have to be altered to meet the Canadian requirements. They are two different things.

I think all our cries and frustration did fall on good ears. Here is an article to note: https://electrek.co/2019/07/10/tesla-to-enable-cross-border-importation/
Yes, see post #15 upthread.

I just checked the RIV Canada website for Tesla and all the Models are importable to Canada. TESLA, INC.
I’m not sure it is that simple. On that page, for the Model 3, there is a link to an “EXPLANATIONS” page at
Before You Import - Explanations on Mandatory Compliance

Yes, see post #15 upthread.

I’m not sure it is that simple. On that page, for the Model 3, there is a link to an “EXPLANATIONS” page at
Before You Import - Explanations on Mandatory Compliance

Ehh, based on my reading of it, at least for Model 3 it is straightforward now from the perspective of Canada. The link to the EXPLANATIONS seems to be standard fare for all manufactures so that doesn't indicate the actual difficulty of importing a car. The only issue I can see is the text "Note-1: Please contact the manufacturer prior to importation to determine the exact nature and cost of modifications required." which is kind of open ended. So it comes down to what is exactly needed to be modified in the Model 3, but I wonder if anything needs to be. Originally I would have thought it would have been related to the EIS, but no such notice is there for the Model 3, and the seat buckles are of the correct color already. At least in the later Model 3 (and in mines) all the warning stickers are trilingual.

Having your car serviced by Tesla Canada is another question as well.

[Moderator note: this post was moved to this existing thread about the same topic, member was not aware there was a thread about this and that this information was already posted]

For most people, this isn't an issue, but for those Canadians living in the US or people wanting to move to the US with their Teslas. You can now move with your Tesla into Canada.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/motorvehiclesafety/vafus.pdf

2017 TO 2020 Model 3
2012 TO 2020 Model S

The manufacturer confirmed Model S vehicles of 2019 and prior model year will require service to the electronic immobilization system. Read paragraph #9 of the "EXPLANATIONS" section for information on EIS.

Last edited by a moderator: