Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Being forced to sell our two Teslas- Moving from Michigan to Ontario- PLEA FOR HELP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many many Tesla Owners that can not take their cars to Europe. Many are Military or other Government Employees. Different charging Port. SC's won't service, etc. This is not just Canada thing. A US Spec car or tested here is not a Canadian or EU Car. Tesla is a young company and has not done all the paperwork and such.

You’re comparing two very different things. First off, there are a lot more people moving back and forth with their vehicles between the US and Canada than there are between continents. I have several military friends who have been posted in Europe, and all of them were given a stipend to purchase/lease a car while over there as it is often cheaper (and quicker) to do so for temporary postings than it is to have they’re existing car shipped. Furthermore, it is obviously going to be much more work to retrofit an electric car with a completely different charging port. But that is not an issue with cars within North America.

If you read through the previous posts in this thread you’ll see that (as far as we know) there aren’t that many things that need to be changed to adhere to Canadian laws (software changes, keyfob security, etc). You say they “haven’t done the paperwork and such”, which is not true because they are manufacturing vehicles at their Fremont factory (on the same assembly line as the rest of the cars) that are compliant with Canadian laws (to be sold in Canada). It’s not like they have to figure out how to make the cars compliant, they would just need to figure out how to retrofit existing ones to do so.

I’m not saying that they have to do it for free, but it would be nice if they at least made it possible for people to bring their cars with them if they decide to move to Canada.

Yes they are a new company, but this seems like a pretty basic ask for someone that spent $100,000+ on a car.

I’m not one to harp on Tesla; you can go back through my posts and see that I’m a big fan of the company and I love my Model S 100D. But I would be super sad if I was offered a job only a few hundred miles away (like you moving to a neighboring state) yet being told I had to sell my car for a loss since it wasn’t allowed to be registered where I was moving.

I still think this is 1st-world problem complaining, but all the points you make are good, @Scott_K .

You’re comparing two very different things. First off, there are a lot more people moving back and forth with their vehicles between the US and Canada than there are between continents. I have several military friends who have been posted in Europe, and all of them were given a stipend to purchase/lease a car while over there as it is often cheaper (and quicker) to do so for temporary postings than it is to have they’re existing car shipped. Furthermore, it is obviously going to be much more work to retrofit an electric car with a completely different charging port. But that is not an issue with cars within North America.

If you read through the previous posts in this thread you’ll see that (as far as we know) there aren’t that many things that need to be changed to adhere to Canadian laws (software changes, keyfob security, etc). You say they “haven’t done the paperwork and such”, which is not true because they are manufacturing vehicles at their Fremont factory (on the same assembly line as the rest of the cars) that are compliant with Canadian laws (to be sold in Canada). It’s not like they have to figure out how to make the cars compliant, they would just need to figure out how to retrofit existing ones to do so.

I’m not saying that they have to do it for free, but it would be nice if they at least made it possible for people to bring their cars with them if they decide to move to Canada.

Yes they are a new company, but this seems like a pretty basic ask for someone that spent $100,000+ on a car.

I’m not one to harp on Tesla; you can go back through my posts and see that I’m a big fan of the company and I love my Model S 100D. But I would be super sad if I was offered a job only a few hundred miles away (like you moving to a neighboring state) yet being told I had to sell my car for a loss since it wasn’t allowed to be registered where I was moving.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric

Couldn’t agree more... especially I’m in the exact hypothetical situation you mentioned... I’m not taking anything for granted with Tesla, but it’s just sad and REALLY inconvenient... guess I’ll have to export my Bolt instead

I’m shocked to read this thread. I’m originally from Toronto and now live in ATL. I’m on the wait list for a TM3 and was planning to purchase it and bring back with me to Toronto when I move back (not sure when this would be). Is this not going to be possible to import it? This will definitely influence my purchase decision.

Latest news is that Tesla in currently importing Model 3 into Canada.

Perhaps you could sell your current vehicles in the States and buy some less expensive, but brand new Model 3's in Canada.

Probably not an optimum solution, but could be an option now.

Believe that Tesla would be all for being able to move their owners back and forth to Canada and Mexico from the States, however it need to be something that those governments would be open to doing.

Currently the Canadian system protects their dealerships by making it difficult for residents buying many items over the border, where they are much less expensive and bringing them home to Canada. It is the political and economic power of their retailers that make this so difficult.

They are known for putting up false barriers to importation.

right now the model 3 is not on either list so it may well be engineered to be able to converted.
On a side note, the speedo conversion I assume is selectable, can someone tell me if once you select km/hr is the mpg no longer on the screen. I know with a BMW a friend imported the speedo had to have the km as the predominant number. despite being able to swap in the digital readout.

right now the model 3 is not on either list so it may well be engineered to be able to converted.
On a side note, the speedo conversion I assume is selectable, can someone tell me if once you select km/hr is the mpg no longer on the screen. I know with a BMW a friend imported the speedo had to have the km as the predominant number. despite being able to swap in the digital readout.

The speedometer is configurable to show either mph or kph.

When you say it’s not on “either list” what list are you referring to ? I’d love to be able to know if I could import a US-spec model 3 to Canada at some point so I can make a good purchase decision.

I’m renting the Model 3 tomorrow on Turo so I’ll see how Canadian I can make it regarding units, speed, etc. lol :)

US and Canadian cars are very similar, but there are a few issues: In Canada, the DRLs cannot, under any circumstances, be disabled as they can on US cars. There are also issues with the electronic immobilizer and, although I think this might have changed, the need for red seat belt release buttons.

Right now you would be best off buying a Canadian equipped car and then exporting that or see if you can purchase a Canadian spec car in the US of A. That way you wont have any issues, other than the purchase price. There would be no issues registering the car there and driving it until you moved, and they cant stop a Canadian car re-entering the country. Another thing to note as I had issues with one of my UK cars, if the VIN does not show up on the Canadian insurers database then its not able to be covered. They do that at the the time of import but if its deemed not allowable into Canada they simply wont write it up.

US and Canadian cars are very similar, but there are a few issues: In Canada, the DRLs cannot, under any circumstances, be disabled as they can on US cars. There are also issues with the electronic immobilizer and, although I think this might have changed, the need for red seat belt release buttons.

Alan's X seatbelt buttons are black. Is there a list of differences somewhere?

Right now you would be best off buying a Canadian equipped car and then exporting that or see if you can purchase a Canadian spec car in the US of A. That way you wont have any issues, other than the purchase price. There would be no issues registering the car there and driving it until you moved, and they cant stop a Canadian car re-entering the country. Another thing to note as I had issues with one of my UK cars, if the VIN does not show up on the Canadian insurers database then its not able to be covered. They do that at the the time of import but if its deemed not allowable into Canada they simply wont write it up.

I was wondering if that would be possible - to buy a CDN-specced Tesla in the US? Like what is the difference if I'm going to be ordering one anyways? I don't know how that works... So instead of being delivered a US-specced Tesla, I get the CDN-specced Tesla...