Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All things Austin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Powerwall is really for those who want to go off the grid. i know some hippies in Dripping Springs who live like that.

Austin Energy requires its customers to be grid-tied for 7 years in order to qualify for the rebate (which has been scaled down considerably in recent years).

My solar array is maxed out due to shading issues and such. Asking the neighbor to trim his trees is not going to work. The ROI is 7 to 10 years so it really needs long-term thinking. Definitely a valuable talking point when i sell the house.

• Informative
Reactions: Xd85
Here is my tint (and chrome delete). Yep, going to spruce up my garage soon.

Attachments

• IMG_20180818_123947.jpg
    IMG_20180818_123947.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 166
DVC *

Had a minor accident during my first month of ownership. Geico (the other party insurance) offered me $400, a pittance compared to the potential lost resale value of the car (it is on Carfax). i contacted TDI** and they in turn notified Geico of the complaint. The law is vague and insurance companies are terrible on payouts for these.

Let me know if you make progress. I too am dealing with GEICO (at fault's insurance). I have a rear bumper on order and am waiting until repairs are complete before asking for DMC. Incident happened at 795 miles.

Let me know if you make progress. I too am dealing with GEICO (at fault's insurance). I have a rear bumper on order and am waiting until repairs are complete before asking for DMC. Incident happened at 795 miles.

Almost exactly what happened to me. First month, 1,400 miles, rear bumper replaced, minor damage (thankfully), color matched pretty good. Hope you are at Autocraft Bodywerks or another equally reputable shop.

i complained to Texas Department of Transportation (TDI) and that nudged Geico to finally send me a friendly letter. TDI recommended that i sue Geico. There is a 2 yr limitation period which is coming up real quick for me.

• Check Carfax (my accident is on there).
  • Try NOT to get a rental car replacement (this will boost your DVC)
  • Get an appraisal. This seems a rip-off ($800 ~) for what will take me 10 minutes to do. i only have Tesla's trade-in value from back then (low-ball offer of $52k within a month of purchase, compared to a purchase price of $83k).
  • Get good counsel from your lawyer friends and go it alone. This is what i plan to do after contacting Geico one last time.

Last edited:
I just had my Model 3 tinted at Sunbusters today and just like my Subaru they tinted before, it turned out amazing. The quality is top-notch, albeit a little pricier compared to the competitors but worth it.

When I was there, they were working on 3 other Teslas and was told they've done about 40 Model 3s already. Here's what I went with:

• Llumar Pinnacle 30% all round (sides & rear windshield)
  • Llumar Air 90% on the front windshield

Honestly, I can't tell that there's any tint or film on the front windshield which is a good thing since I only wanted it for the heat blocking properties. The interesting thing I found out is that there's a newer more premium tint above Pinnacle called "Stratos" that they've had for the past year but didn't offer it to me because LLumar didn't offer rolls big enough to cover the rear glass in one piece. Here's some photos for y'all to enjoy.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    472.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    506.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 118
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Reactions: HnyBaked
I just had my Model 3 tinted at Sunbusters today and just like my Subaru they tinted before, it turned out amazing. The quality is top-notch, albeit a little pricier compared to the competitors but worth it.

When I was there, they were working on 3 other Teslas and was told they've done about 40 Model 3s already. Here's what I went with:

• Llumar Pinnacle 30% all round (sides & rear windshield)
  • Llumar Air 90% on the front windshield

Honestly, I can't tell that there's any tint or film on the front windshield which is a good thing since I only wanted it for the heat blocking properties. The interesting thing I found out is that there's a newer more premium tint above Pinnacle called "Stratos" that they've had for the past year but didn't offer it to me because LLumar didn't offer rolls big enough to cover the rear glass in one piece. Here's some photos for y'all to enjoy.
Can you share how much you paid? PM me if you don't want to say in a public post.

Can you share how much you paid? PM me if you don't want to say in a public post.

$649 for the sides & rear windshield + $200 for the front windshield so out the door price was $849. They include the tax in the price.

Also something to keep in mind, although they offer PPF, they do not do paint correction prior to installation. Other places usually include the paint correction into their price so I’ll likely go somewhere else for the PPF like Authentic Details.

$649 for the sides & rear windshield + $200 for the front windshield so out the door price was $849. They include the tax in the price.

Also something to keep in mind, although they offer PPF, they do not do paint correction prior to installation. Other places usually include the paint correction into their price so I’ll likely go somewhere else for the PPF like Authentic Details.
Thanks! They quoted me the same when I called last month. Normally I always go to them for tint, but the price is pretty steep for a Model 3.

Anyone had their tint done at XPEL Austin? Their surcharge for Model 3 is "only" $100. I have had PPF done there, but not tint. Just wanted to see if anyone has direct experience.

Thanks! They quoted me the same when I called last month. Normally I always go to them for tint, but the price is pretty steep for a Model 3.

Anyone had their tint done at XPEL Austin? Their surcharge for Model 3 is "only" $100. I have had PPF done there, but not tint. Just wanted to see if anyone has direct experience.
Yes I had XPEL window film there when thy did the PPF and ceramic coating on my Model 3 six months ago. I’m very happy with the heat rejection and look and it was much less expensive than F1 Pinnacle at Sunbusters. I posted about it In another thread- I think the price was $399 less 10% Tesla club discount.

• Helpful
Reactions: pjoseph
Yes I had XPEL window film there when thy did the PPF and ceramic coating on my Model 3 six months ago. I’m very happy with the heat rejection and look and it was much less expensive than F1 Pinnacle at Sunbusters. I posted about it In another thread- I think the price was $399 less 10% Tesla club discount.
For Prime XR right? They quote me $499 for Prime XR and $799 for Prime XR Plus, including a $100 surcharge for Model 3, not including any club discounts. They must have raised the price since when you did it :(

Almost exactly what happened to me. First month, 1,400 miles, rear bumper replaced, minor damage (thankfully), color matched pretty good. Hope you are at Autocraft Bodywerks or another equally reputable shop.

i complained to Texas Department of Transportation (TDI) and that nudged Geico to finally send me a friendly letter. TDI recommended that i sue Geico. There is a 2 yr limitation period which is coming up real quick for me.

• Check Carfax (my accident is on there).
  • Try NOT to get a rental car replacement (this will boost your DVC)
  • Get an appraisal. This seems a rip-off ($800 ~) for what will take me 10 minutes to do. i only have Tesla's trade-in value from back then (low-ball offer of $52k within a month of purchase, compared to a purchase price of $83k).
  • Get good counsel from your lawyer friends and go it alone. This is what i plan to do after contacting Geico one last time.

I will be taking it to Berli's and interesting note on the Rental Car. I checked out a couple of places up north and they were quite patient and took me into their shop, showed me other Tesla work they have done, etc. I may not have a choice regarding a need for a rental, but will try to Uber instead.

For Prime XR right? They quote me $499 for Prime XR and $799 for Prime XR Plus, including a $100 surcharge for Model 3, not including any club discounts. They must have raised the price since when you did it :(
Yes I have Prime XR. Prime XR Plus was not out yet when I got my Model 3. I cant imagine what the Plus does that could be worth an additional $300.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut

How do you feel about the 30 on the rear? I worry it's going to be too dark so I'm trying to decide between the 50 and the 30...

Re: Tint %

30% is awesome for the Texas heat (car is 20 degrees cooler) and right at the stat's minimum limits. But it gets the darkened, drug-dealer look (from the outside, interior is fine, posted photo earlier in the thread). Maybe other brands are better (i have F1 Stratos).
-----

@dduffey Re DVC

To clarify, i would not to get a rental car (from the at-fault insurance) in order to boost my DVC.

If your insurance has a provision for it (without a ding on your premiums) that is the way to go.

In retrospect, i should have driven my beater.

Or Uber. But given that the repair can several weeks, ride-sharing would become a test of patience. My repairs took 3-4 weeks, but Tesla is notorious for parts shortages. Hope that situation has improved.

So I just read that model 3 requires special jack point pads to protect the battery pack, so you need a shop the uses those with their lift. And apparently they are different than the ones for model S (which is asinine. Thx, Elon) I want to get new wheels installed. Anyone know a shop that deals correctly with Teslas?

So I just read that model 3 requires special jack point pads to protect the battery pack, so you need a shop the uses those with their lift. And apparently they are different than the ones for model S (which is asinine. Thx, Elon) I want to get new wheels installed. Anyone know a shop that deals correctly with Teslas?
They really are not that special or required. The important part is to get the weight lifted up but the appropriate part on the car. Something simple like hockey pucks or a 2x4 can handle the task if the pads on the jack are too big.

Edit to add - discount tire & costco can handle them. BUT - its probably a good idea to keep an eye on them. Hate to end up with the new guy that doesn't have a clue.