Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All weather/winter tire for Model Y Performance - Alternatives to Nokian WRG4 and Micheline Cross Climate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just pulled the trigger on a Model Y Performance to replace my Model S. I'm trying to figure out what to do for tires.

In the recent past I've used Michelin Cross Climate (on my Model 3) and Nokian WRG3 (on the outgoing Model S) and liked both of them. Where I am in Boston, I don't think the roads are bad enough to warrant a full blown winter tire like a Hakka R3 (which I have used in the past). I like an all weather type tire that does well enough in the snow but maintains good performance in the more usual cold dry and wet (but not a foot of powder) winter conditions.

Unfortunately, it looks like Michelin and Nokian don't offer those (Cross Climate 2 and WRG4) in the right size for the Tesla Y Performance. Any recommendations for what to get instead? Thanks

Im about to order 245/55r19 falken wildpeak a/t tires. Got no mods whatsoever on the car just factory geminis. I would love to have a way to know if it truly fits but looks like no one really tested this. All it needs is to clear the front wheel knuckle. I’ll update with results

Reactions: 907XCP
Ended up getting 235/55 because of the load rating and brought it test fit. Surprisingly it as wide as the oem conti 255/45s. I thought it was gonna look stretched and weird but it looks fine. Keeping the oem continentals just in case i change my mind. Will go on a test drive this weekend. Bonus photo of the last time the undercarriage is clean since I’ll be going places with these tires.

Attachments

• 149B48FD-813D-481D-B01E-E09D36488A3D.jpeg
    149B48FD-813D-481D-B01E-E09D36488A3D.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 416
  • 6EEEA798-5A69-4603-8BE9-BC1CD1D92891.jpeg
    6EEEA798-5A69-4603-8BE9-BC1CD1D92891.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 315E827B-975E-4F48-841D-E21A359214B1.jpeg
    315E827B-975E-4F48-841D-E21A359214B1.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 241
I decided on the CrossClimate2 255/45R20. Slightly bigger than stock 20" Tesla tires but there are other mentions of that size on the forum that say it fits with no issues. Car comes on Friday so I have not actually tested it out yet.
So far, so good. Put the new wheels and tires (CrossClimate2 255/45R20) on today and drove about 20 miles. Everything seems good. Ready for snow.

Where do you guys get the wheels? It seems to be out of stock everywhere :( I placed order couple of days ago on TireRack and they say it will be here Dec 27 :( well after coupe of snow storms here Northeast
In no particular order, and only of use to folks in the US really:

Craigslist take-offs from someone that has upgraded to another wheel (e.g. look for the Gemini's)
Martian Wheels - Premium parts and accessories for Tesla vehicles – Martian Wheels
T Sports Online - Tesla Model Y Wheels
Canadian Replika R241's e.g. - WheelWiz | Search results for: 'Replika R241'

You're unfortunately behind the curve when it comes to sorting this out and availability is going to be poor for both wheels and tires, even pre-Covid. The time to lock down winter plans would be June/July/Aug, not when inclement weather is already here.

@dougiegoindeep

Can you recall how your efficiency changed when you went to the WRG3’s on your Model S?

The reason I ask is because I put WRG4’s on my Model 3 a few months ago and my efficiency has gone to crap.

With the OEM tires I was averaging around 280 Wh/mi at highway speeds, but now I’m around 330-340 in typical weather.

And it’s not the heater because I’ve turned it off for miles & miles and my efficiency hardly moved.

*Slightly off topic* My only other thought is that the “cold weather improvements” are actually garbage. I always have a blue snowflake (remains for 50 out of 60 miles of my one-way drive) and rarely see the battery warming icon in 20F degree weather. I never ever had the blue snowflake last winter.

Ended up getting 235/55 because of the load rating and brought it test fit. Surprisingly it as wide as the oem conti 255/45s. I thought it was gonna look stretched and weird but it looks fine. Keeping the oem continentals just in case i change my mind. Will go on a test drive this weekend. Bonus photo of the last time the undercarriage is clean since I’ll be going places with these tires.
How are you liking the Falken Wildpeak 235/55R19 on your Y. Any concerns so far.

I just bought 19” Fast Wheels Vybz as my winter wheels and plan on getting the Nokian Hakkapelliita R3 SUV for my incoming MYP.

I’ve been a long-time fan of Nokians for winter tires and I’ll never use another brand. Here in AB where we get almost snow 6 months in a year, the Nokians have been very dependable.

I’ve been getting around 270-290Wh/m lately doing 70mph for 35 miles. Number was higher at around 310Wh/m in winter temps. 235 width on stock geminis. If i do it again I’ll probably try 245
Thanks so much. Good to know. I love this Y but trying to find a good tire for both winter mountain travel and summer mountain non paved roads in the Pacific Northwest is challenging. Good to hear you didn’t feel the need to spend additional $$ for Martian or TSportline wheels.

For my Model Y Performance, I purchased the EV01+ 19"X9.5" wheel from Fast EV the Canadian Company (FastEV EV01(+) Wheels for Tesla Model 3 / Y Wheels 19).

Now I am trying to decide the tire for the size 255/45/19.

Split between Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 and Cross Climate 2

Anyone have experience with either of these tires?
The Michelin PS AS4 and the CC2 are good choices if you expect winter driving conditions or occasionally head into the mountains to ski. In the DC Metro area you might want to consider the Vredestein Quatrac Pro all season tire (available in 255/45-19.) Although the brand is relatively new to drivers in the US the Quatrac Pro has proven to be a very capable all season tire for the Tesla Model Y that costs considerably less than the Michelin AS4 or the CC2. As happened in 2021 and 2022 the Vredestein Quatrac Pro will probably be back ordered if you wait too much longer to purchase.