Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Alleged] Unintended acceleration and brake failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed quite a few drivers reported the unintended acceleration when they drove Tesla. I was a big fan of Tesla motors and have bought a model S for my family in 2014 and another one for my company in 2017. I have never imagined the bad accident happen on my second Tesla model S. It happened three weeks ago, the car was suddendly and unintended accelerated when it was slowly moving on a highway exit after the toll gate in Shenzhen, south China. The brake pedal was too hard to press down by feet. The car hit the curb of the road while it avoided the vehichel ahead, an Audi Q5. The driver of the Q5 made a harsh turn to give the way to the Tesla, as a result, the Q5 hit the opposite curb of the road with a tyre burst. The Tesla continued to move in a speed of around 70KM/H to a main road after finishing the highway exit path. During the five to six seconds, the brake was completely no functional because it can not be pressed down. On the main road, a wide one with four lanes, the Tesla was stopped after making two circular turns at the exact location. Then the policemen came and towed the accidental vehicle to the nearest Tesla service center in Shenzhen.

At the Tesla service center, the staff showed the log data of the car. The data illustrated that during the 10 seconds of the accident occurance, the acceleration pedal was pressed even with 100% amplitude at certain points. And the brake pedal was not touched during the whole phase. And the signal of brake pedal came at the point when the velocity of the car was zero.

The staff at the local Tesla service center examined the data and car before telling that the car was completely in a normal condition. The drive didn't press the brake pedal but wrongly on the acceleration pedal. The accident is all because of human operation error.

I questioned Tesla how the vehicle was stopped if the brake pedal was not pressed, according to the log data, the brake signal was triggered at the speed of zero. I never got an answer from the staff.

From web search, the unintended acceleration seems not a rare case for Tesla, I think Tesla should take it serious and make more investigation instead of simply concluding drivers' mistake.

I was a big fan of Tesla, however, I don't know how to face the Model S after it is repaired although it is now in the service center. Do WE dare to continue driving the car?

Maybe the best solution is to get a dash camera, but have it pointed at your feet.

So if it ever happens again you'll have proof of what pedal your foot was touching. You might also consider using the chill mode to reduce the acceleration.

I don't think it's too surprising that Tesla has a fair number of unintended acceleration issues. It's the combination of the silence (lack of engine sound) along with the quick acceleration. It doesn't give you a whole lot of time correct for a mistake.

The brake pedal was too hard to press down by feet...

...During the five to six seconds, the brake was completely no functional because it can not be pressed down...

...during the 10 seconds of the accident occurance, the acceleration pedal was pressed even with 100% amplitude at certain points. And the brake pedal was not touched during the whole phase...

Sounds like they thought they were pressing on a stiff brake pedal but they were actually pressing the accelerator to the floor.

Yes,"we" dare.
With we I assume real owners that collectively put millions of kilometres behind, and did not short stock , or have uncoordinated feet.

I simply trust two potentiometers and simple logic better than new stories that point out that more of those stories exists.

I noticed quite a few drivers reported the unintended acceleration when they drove Tesla.
Untrue.

At the Tesla service center, the staff showed the log data of the car. The data illustrated that during the 10 seconds of the accident occurance, the acceleration pedal was pressed even with 100% amplitude at certain points. And the brake pedal was not touched during the whole phase. And the signal of brake pedal came at the point when the velocity of the car was zero.
The staff at the local Tesla service center examined the data and car before telling that the car was completely in a normal condition. The drive didn't press the brake pedal but wrongly on the acceleration pedal. The accident is all because of human operation error.
Yet another case of the driver pressing on the accelerator pedal and thought they were pressing on the brake. And the Tesla logs in their car prove it.

@Steve Du you need to accept the fact that your accident was due to driver error. It happens with all models of cars, and has been happening for many decades. Nothing new. Human drivers get confused and make mistakes.

I noticed quite a few drivers reported the unintended acceleration when they drove Tesla. I was a big fan of Tesla motors and have bought a model S for my family in 2014 and another one for my company in 2017. I have never imagined the bad accident happen on my second Tesla model S. It happened three weeks ago, the car was suddendly and unintended accelerated when it was slowly moving on a highway exit after the toll gate in Shenzhen, south China. The brake pedal was too hard to press down by feet. The car hit the curb of the road while it avoided the vehichel ahead, an Audi Q5. The driver of the Q5 made a harsh turn to give the way to the Tesla, as a result, the Q5 hit the opposite curb of the road with a tyre burst. The Tesla continued to move in a speed of around 70KM/H to a main road after finishing the highway exit path. During the five to six seconds, the brake was completely no functional because it can not be pressed down. On the main road, a wide one with four lanes, the Tesla was stopped after making two circular turns at the exact location. Then the policemen came and towed the accidental vehicle to the nearest Tesla service center in Shenzhen.

I questioned Tesla how the vehicle was stopped if the brake pedal was not pressed, according to the log data, the brake signal was triggered at the speed of zero. I never got an answer from the staff.

From web search, the unintended acceleration seems not a rare case for Tesla, I think Tesla should take it serious and make more investigation instead of simply concluding drivers' mistake.

I was a big fan of Tesla, however, I don't know how to face the Model S after it is repaired although it is now in the service center. Do WE dare to continue driving the car?

This type of nonsense will be disappearing very soon as more companies introduce real-time data logging... go Tesla :cool:

...not a rare case for Tesla...

Most owners would own their mistakes like this owner below who admitted that wanting to back into the supercharger but the gear was in "Drive":

crashed-model-s.jpg

I also noticed quite a few drivers reported their car locking them in the car then fault would occur with the AC causing them to be a freeze dried. Tesla service have been really nice about the issue and used chardonnay to reconstitute the drivers but Elon has been attacked on Twitter for using low % alcohol on children.
I can't stop laughing at this.

Reactions: Asymmetry
It is always a pedal error. It happened to me twice at low speed after hitting curbs in parking garages. I had "creep" off, which set the stage for my pedal errors. I switched to "creep on" and have had no more problems. Look under my name on this site and you can read all of the details and analysis.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.