TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alloy gators

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Merrill, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Anyone in the Bay Area install gators on their 21's, if so who did them and where did you buy them.

2. Grey on Grey

Grey on Grey Banned

What are alloy Gators?

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I bought them directly from the company.

Alloy Gators are plastic rim protectors. Can get in a variety of colors (I chose the basic black) and they get pounded into where the sidewall meets the rim for the wheel.

The amount of dmg that the Alloy Gators have absorbed versus the rims getting damaged makes me want them if I get another set of rims. They've already successfully been relocated on a set of tires.

4. KAB

KAB New Member

Hi Merrill,

This is Kwabena. I've them on my 21's. Ordered them online from the company. My mechanic in San Carlos installed them and arranged for the rims to be repaired. Give a call if you want to discuss this.

Hope per you're enjoying the Reus upgrade--it's the bomb!

Cheers
    Kwabena

5. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The only concern I have is that they have effectively scratched off all the paint on the outer portion of the ring, as dirt got under them and then was repetitively ground into the paint of the rim. It's all a trade-off, your wheels will be damaged any way, whether by curbs or paint-grinding. :)

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

They are plastic bumpers that sit between the tire and the rim flange and stick out a bit to protect the wheel from curb damage.

7. rlcordeiro

rlcordeiro Member

Could you please post pictures so we can see what happens.

8. FlasherZ

At the moment, my 21" wheels have them installed and are sitting in the garage. I would rather not have to remove one of the gators to take the pictures... however, in my case, it was described as a ~3/8" ring at the edge of the wheel where the clearcoat had been nearly removed and dirt was being ground into the wheel color, exposing metal when removed and cleaned.

9. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I have a set of black alloy gators NIB if somebody wants them. I'll sell them for 50% plus shipping.

10. swegman

swegman Member

You don't see the wear to the rims caused by dirt unless you remove the AlloyGators from the rims. They have saved my rims many times. I hit the curb 3 times trying to be a good person and pulling to the curb to make it easier for the other driver to pass on a narrow street or turn on a tight corner.

11. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I am interested.

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

I'll send you a PM

13. strider

strider Active Member

Or since I'm a glass half-full type, we have already tagged all 4 wheels so in that case the Alloy Gators hide the damage we've already done :) I also assume it's cheaper to repair alloy gator damage than curb rash. There are other products that stick on like Rim blades.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Jason, how did the tire swap go? Did they remove the alloy gators or did they mount the tire w/ the alloy gators on?

14. FlasherZ

Fair 'nuff. In that case, not a problem.

Service center fixed my wheels at just over $110 a wheel last March-ish (was $330, I think).

15. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

Alloy Gators - Birmingham, UK for a link.

They are happy to ship to the US. I bought a set after listening to the grinding as my 20-something son pulled up to the curb in front of his mother's house and the right side 21's took a good grinding. He is used to his 2G Prius dimensions (one of my past cars), and the perspective was just different...it still hurt a little. :eek:

16. swegman

swegman Member

I had a Michelin Pilot (21 inch) tire repaired today due to a nail in the center. The shop removed the tire from the rim without disturbing the AlloyGator on the rim. In fact, once the tire was removed, the AlloyGator was still attached to the wheel and would not come off. I think the little metal teeth probably "bit" into the underneath of the wheel. They then install the tire back on the wheel, again without disturbing the wheel. I had expected the AlloyGator to fall off once the tire was removed from the wheel, but that did not happen.