Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alloy gators

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought them directly from the company.

Alloy Gators are plastic rim protectors. Can get in a variety of colors (I chose the basic black) and they get pounded into where the sidewall meets the rim for the wheel.

The amount of dmg that the Alloy Gators have absorbed versus the rims getting damaged makes me want them if I get another set of rims. They've already successfully been relocated on a set of tires.

Hi Merrill,

This is Kwabena. I've them on my 21's. Ordered them online from the company. My mechanic in San Carlos installed them and arranged for the rims to be repaired. Give a call if you want to discuss this.

Hope per you're enjoying the Reus upgrade--it's the bomb!

Cheers
Kwabena

The only concern I have is that they have effectively scratched off all the paint on the outer portion of the ring, as dirt got under them and then was repetitively ground into the paint of the rim. It's all a trade-off, your wheels will be damaged any way, whether by curbs or paint-grinding. :)

Could you please post pictures so we can see what happens.

At the moment, my 21" wheels have them installed and are sitting in the garage. I would rather not have to remove one of the gators to take the pictures... however, in my case, it was described as a ~3/8" ring at the edge of the wheel where the clearcoat had been nearly removed and dirt was being ground into the wheel color, exposing metal when removed and cleaned.

You don't see the wear to the rims caused by dirt unless you remove the AlloyGators from the rims. They have saved my rims many times. I hit the curb 3 times trying to be a good person and pulling to the curb to make it easier for the other driver to pass on a narrow street or turn on a tight corner.

The only concern I have is that they have effectively scratched off all the paint on the outer portion of the ring, as dirt got under them and then was repetitively ground into the paint of the rim. It's all a trade-off, your wheels will be damaged any way, whether by curbs or paint-grinding. :)
Or since I'm a glass half-full type, we have already tagged all 4 wheels so in that case the Alloy Gators hide the damage we've already done :) I also assume it's cheaper to repair alloy gator damage than curb rash. There are other products that stick on like Rim blades.

- - - Updated - - -

The amount of dmg that the Alloy Gators have absorbed versus the rims getting damaged makes me want them if I get another set of rims. They've already successfully been relocated on a set of tires.
Hi Jason, how did the tire swap go? Did they remove the alloy gators or did they mount the tire w/ the alloy gators on?

Or since I'm a glass half-full type, we have already tagged all 4 wheels so in that case the Alloy Gators hide the damage we've already done :) I also assume it's cheaper to repair alloy gator damage than curb rash. There are other products that stick on like Rim blades.

Fair 'nuff. In that case, not a problem.

Service center fixed my wheels at just over $110 a wheel last March-ish (was $330, I think).

Alloy Gators - Birmingham, UK for a link.

They are happy to ship to the US. I bought a set after listening to the grinding as my 20-something son pulled up to the curb in front of his mother's house and the right side 21's took a good grinding. He is used to his 2G Prius dimensions (one of my past cars), and the perspective was just different...it still hurt a little. :eek:

I had a Michelin Pilot (21 inch) tire repaired today due to a nail in the center. The shop removed the tire from the rim without disturbing the AlloyGator on the rim. In fact, once the tire was removed, the AlloyGator was still attached to the wheel and would not come off. I think the little metal teeth probably "bit" into the underneath of the wheel. They then install the tire back on the wheel, again without disturbing the wheel. I had expected the AlloyGator to fall off once the tire was removed from the wheel, but that did not happen.