Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another interesting, semi-cheerleading headline mentioning Buffett's solar plays today:

Solar Shines as Sellers Sometimes Pay Buyers to Use Power - Bloomberg Business

Incidentally, if you really want to short coal mining and production, you could short individual coal companies or use ETFs like KOL, but that is a highly risky proposition given unknown time horizon. To be honest, the best way to short coal I think is to continue investing in its replacement: solar.

Still, buying some LEAP puts in KOL sure seems tempting, doesn't it?

Another interesting, semi-cheerleading headline mentioning Buffett's solar plays today:

Solar Shines as Sellers Sometimes Pay Buyers to Use Power - Bloomberg Business

Incidentally, if you really want to short coal mining and production, you could short individual coal companies or use ETFs like KOL, but that is a highly risky proposition given unknown time horizon. To be honest, the best way to short coal I think is to continue investing in its replacement: solar.

Still, buying some LEAP puts in KOL sure seems tempting, doesn't it?

Negative spot prices are a huge signal that the market is not spending enough on storage. This is an amazing episode. April 23 from 8 AM to 6 PM in SoCal, there is so much power on the market that generators have to pay $61/MWh to buyers for the privilege of continuing to run their generators. You can see that this is very painful economics for baseload generators, but the situation is also tough for peak generators. Basically, the grid is relying too heavily on variable generation, peak plants, to manage variable demand than on storage.

Consider a gas peak plant that can operate from 30 MW to 100 MW. This is a dynamic range of 70 MW, but part of the cost of providing this dynamic range is idling at 30 MW. This 30 MW contributes to the baseload problem in an over supplied market. That is the gas peak operator needs to pay $2130 per hour (61 × 30) just so it can deliver 70 MW dynamic range needed to balance the grid.

Now consider the prospect of a battery peak plant with just 35 MW of power. This plant can provide 70 MW range from -35 MW to +35 MW. And it can provide that range without competing with baseload oversupply. Thus in an over supplied market it can contribute 70 MW without paying $2130/hour for idling.

Now consider that a new 100 MW gas peaker can cost about $80 to $100 million, but the the 35 MW battery plant using Powerpacks could cost as little as $17.5 M for just the Powerpacks, $20 to $30 million fully installed. If these packs are integrated into an existing power plant whether peak, baseload, or renewable, then there may be little installation cost beyond the Powerpacks.

So for capex, batteries are much cheaper than adding new peak power plants. For opex, batteries also win. But finally from a systemwide perspective, batteries will minimize the financial risk of negative spot prices for all generators in the market and will feed these low prices back into the market when net demand is higher. It is especially important that each generator secures some batteries or demand response capacity as a hedge against negative spot prices. The increased penetration of solar is only going to intensify this risk. So generators that want to protect their financial performance and longterm economics need to buy batteries or pay someone else to do so.

15% up in premarket. If they want to take it private they've choosen a good time to do so, with the stock back down around av very low close yesterday. One wouldn't have to very imaginative to think that some vested interests may have put selling pressure on the stock in the last few weeks to lower the price in anticipation of this move?

This was a stock I was hoping to hold on to for 15+ years... :(

15% up in premarket. If they want to take it private they've choosen a good time to do so, with the stock back down around av very low close yesterday. One wouldn't have to very imaginative to think that some vested interests may have put selling pressure on the stock in the last few weeks to lower the price in anticipation of this move?

This was my largest solar investment and now im overall about breakeven at the BS 9.69 price, not at all what I expected. If I were one of the larger institutional holders, I'd be making plans to outbid that. On the surface it looks like there is the possibility that JASO held back on 1Q sales and let inventory build up to create this event.

My second largest solar holding (CSIQ #1) and I was also hoping it would be a long term hold. Well, maybe a nice bidding war will ensue and our 15 year PTs will be seen over the next couple weeks.:wink:

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the post Lump.....but you are on the west coast..correct? Up and posting at 5am EST! :biggrin:

I had written a combination of June $11s covered calls (before the ER) and June $9s (after ER) against my shares as I "knew" they would expire worthless and it's the only way I've been able to make real money off JASO the last 2 years. So much for that. Thinking about rolling my $9s up to $10s at open, maybe a further out month depending on premium. Not sure how premium is going to react...

- - - Updated - - -

My second largest solar holding (CSIQ #1) and I was also hoping it would be a long term hold. Well, maybe a nice bidding war will ensue and our 15 year PTs will be seen over the next couple weeks.:wink:

Maybe this is all part of a plan to start a bidding war? ;)

Yes. They give you the right to buy stock at $12 when they are in the money. If the stock gets bought out at $9.69 then they will never be in the money.
*sigh* JASO has been one long unmitigated disaster for me. I have about 1/2 stock and 1/2 LEAPS. The stock would now be around break even, but I just checked and those LEAPS are almost completely worthless this morning after the buyout announcement.

Does this sort of thing tend to be a done deal and it's just a formality at this point or is there a reasonable chance the buyout will be declined?

Last edited:
*sigh* JASO has been one long unmitigated disaster for me. I have about 1/2 stock and 1/2 LEAPS. The stock would now be around break even, but I just checked and those LEAPS are almost completely worthless this morning after the buyout announcement.

Does this sort of thing tend to be a done deal and it's just a formality at this point or is there a reasonable chance the buyout will be declined?

I would hope that is just the begining - according to discussion here - JA Solar (JASO) | Page 126 | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board - CEO only owns 15% of the company. And it is in everybody elses interest to just vote no. 9.69 is a steal and maybe a hint to others that the company can be bought. Any other company (SCTY, CSIQ, SUNE or any traditional energy company) could easily raise >$500M to outbid that. But I have orders for 10, 11 to get out of the stock. It should have already been at 9.69.

I would hope that is just the begining - according to discussion here - JA Solar (JASO) | Page 126 | The Contrarian Investor Discussion Board - CEO only owns 15% of the company. And it is in everybody elses interest to just vote no. 9.69 is a steal and maybe a hint to others that the company can be bought. Any other company (SCTY, CSIQ, SUNE or any traditional energy company) could easily raise >$500M to outbid that. But I have orders for 10, 11 to get out of the stock. It should have already been at 9.69.
Unfortunately, my LEAPS are far enough OOM ($15) that pretty much any buyout is a complete loss for those options. But, if a buyout is a given, whatever can bump the price would at least give me more for my actual stock holdings.

I have moderately large positions in a couple of YieldCos (NRG Yield and NextEra Partners), and I've been very happy with their performance to date. I'd be wary of any ETF, though. First, there's only a handful of these YieldCos, so it's not that hard to invest directly. Investing directly allows you to control timing of capital gains/losses, and to pick and choose among the funds. I'm very watchful of the individual assets that underlie the portfolios and the expiration dates of their contracts.

I also note that these YieldCos were set up on very sound footing, but there's less clarity going forward that they will continue to be shown as much love by their parents. I think any responsible investor should spend some time understanding exactly how each of these YieldCos was set up before investing. This isn't an area where I see much value to diversification.

Has anyone looked closely at SolarEdge? SolarCity has been sourcing them for inverters, and now they are developing an inverter customized for use with the Powerwall and PV. They have been growing revenue very fast, up about 180% year over year. They IPOed a few months ago with the stock price rising rapidly. Today the price fell back about 10% so I'm starting to wonder when would be a good time to buy. Any thoughts?