Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I acknowledge that it will be possible to make lithium batteries that can be cycled 10000 times, actually the Powerpack from Tesla is meant for daily cycles and has a warranty for 10 years, so that is meant for at least 3650 cycles. My point is that there is a reason why the battery Tesla uses in their Model S isn't meant for 3650 cycles, that would be overengineering as they say. It would either be more expensive to increase the cycle capacity of the car battery or it would be a trade off between that and something else like power output.

As long as the batteries in question doesn't last forever I think it will make more sense to design batteries for each purpose and use those as they will deliver the lowest cost per kwh stored for any given requirement pretty much by definition I would argue.

I acknowledge that it will be possible to make lithium batteries that can be cycled 10000 times, actually the Powerpack from Tesla is meant for daily cycles and has a warranty for 10 years, so that is meant for at least 3650 cycles. My point is that there is a reason why the battery Tesla uses in their Model S isn't meant for 3650 cycles, that would be overengineering as they say. It would either be more expensive to increase the cycle capacity of the car battery or it would be a trade off between that and something else like power output.

As long as the batteries in question doesn't last forever I think it will make more sense to design batteries for each purpose and use those as they will deliver the lowest cost per kwh stored for any given requirement pretty much by definition I would argue.

Simiarly, If there ever is a future for liquid "flow batteries" it might be in stationary storage. However, I still wonder about the economics of that and the principal of refreshing liquid components every so often being in the same vein as oil changes, etc. But once they figure out the issues of ion plating - all batteries will have similar long lives without issues.

Didn't the engineer in California just find a coating for certain battery components that allows for 10,000 cycles without energy storage loss in the lab?

10 Joules. Fantastic if they can produce so much energy, 10 complete Watt-seconds, or 0.0000028 kWh!

GSP

Well, 10J is indeed fantastic, as it would leave JET and all other fusion experiments in the dust. Nett energy output can be demonstrated within a year. A 5 MW prototype would take another two to three years. The energy cost using the Dense Plasma Focus is expected to be 1/5 cent per kWh, a figure that solar or wind or any other source can - almost certainly - never achieve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lessmog
Well, 10J is indeed fantastic, as it would leave JET and all other fusion experiments in the dust. Nett energy output can be demonstrated within a year. A 5 mW prototype would take another two to three years. The energy cost using the Dense Plasma Focus is expected to be 1/5 cent per kWh, a figure that solar or wind or any other source can - almost certainly - never achieve.

I agree with everything you said except you meant 5MW prototype (not 5mW).

Right now my "gut" calculating is saying LPP has an about 10% chance of demonstrating net fusion yield (small scale) this year, and about 30% within 3 years (I don't feel I can give them better odds, but the potential impact would be so huge that it is none the less remarkable remarkable).

Right now my "gut" calculating is saying LPP has an about 10% chance of demonstrating net fusion yield (small scale) this year, and about 30% within 3 years (I don't feel I can give them better odds, but the potential impact would be so huge that it is none the less remarkable remarkable).

Still very generous. I think the odds are very much higher than playing in the lottery that is all I can say. THat is why I invested in them. Not a huge amount, and if it does not come through I will not loose sleep over it. However, if it does come through than I am pretty much set...

Still very generous. I think the odds are very much higher than playing in the lottery that is all I can say. THat is why I invested in them. Not a huge amount, and if it does not come through I will not loose sleep over it. However, if it does come through than I am pretty much set...

Don't get greedy now :)
My odds refer to the pure science. As for the odds of early investors actually ending up profiting massively from the potential scientific success taken all the way to a marketable product, well yes, those are bad :)

Originally nuclear power plants were supposed to be so cheap the electricity would be free, so...

... and without the problem of nuclear weapons and overregulation (much thanks to the fossil fuel lobby working behind the scenes) that may well have been what happened (free as in for all intents and purposes "free", like Tesla's supercharging free).

and the pesky catastrophic / near-catastrophic nuclear plant failures

A PR nightmare, I agree but when empirically compared to the environmental and public health disaster the burning of coal is it's still peanuts. Try to explain this to a regular Joe or politician (who's largest contributor is the fossil fuel mafia) though...

• Love
Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
I bought SPWR last year around start of October when it was around 20, then a month or two later sold calls when it was up in the high-20s, and bought them back when the stock was down again, so made some profit on that. Considering doing the same again. Would like to remind myself to do the same for TSLA sometime too...

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Hello folks, I appologize if this question has been posted somewhere else and I just didn't see it....I was wondering if the forum could recommend some mutual funds that would be poised to take advantage of the large increase in the following areas:
- Solar
- Wind
- EV Battery packs
- Anything related to autonomous driving
- Tesla Specifically

I know we can all buy shares of individual companies, but I'd like to find a mutual fund or two that is taking care of the entire sector and let it sit long term in my IRA. I figure there's got to be some fund manager out there putting something together to take advantage of this revolution in driving and renewables.