Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the deal with SCTY? I have some options Nov @33, and just let it run without looking at it. Seems to be doing well last week.

What can I expect? No time to research.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, has anyone looked into lithium mining company on the premise of huge lithium ion battery production ramp up create the need for lithium? It is tempting...

Last edited:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mine CSIQ position is only 2nd to TSLA. I also believe in the below statement based on the information you and sleepy has shared here. Looking to buy calls now.

[/FONT]We see Canadian Solar becoming the first China-based solar company to be profitable in FY13F.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]

I do at least in my 401k.

I have a 12 month $70 price target on CSIQ.

I hope so, but for people to get in with is we need the market to see what we see. If more analyst starts following solar then it will hopefully happen. But I also hope that you start sending your blogs or megaposts to Seeking Alpha. You will probably make some money on it aswell, by getting paid and obv boost your own stock.

Mine CSIQ position is only 2nd to TSLA. I also believe in the below statement based on the information you and sleepy has shared here. Looking to buy calls now.

Be careful, because that statement was wrong and JKS was actually the first company to turn profitable in FY13.

I am waiting a little to buy some calls since they are very expensive right now. Hoping for a short consolidation period/slight pullback before buying more calls.

Be careful, because that statement was wrong and JKS was actually the first company to turn profitable in FY13.

I am waiting a little to buy some calls since they are very expensive right now. Hoping for a short consolidation period/slight pullback before buying more calls.

Appreciate the advise, sleepy! Do you think what's happening today with CSIQ could be the start of a consolidation or is it just mirroring the market?

How many others have got CSIQ as their biggest share in the portofolio? Also look at this, and note the date.
http://www.streetinsider.com/Analys...ina-Based+Solar+Company+-+Nomura/8489305.html

I wonder what theyre next PT will be. CSIQ traded at 11$ when they had a 25$ target, 2 months and 27 days ago. Lets hope they do this again on thursday :)

Also my IRA: TSLA still the highest dollar amount with CSIQ a relatively close second. I may try my first option trade with a CSIQ call once our fiscal issues are at least temporarily resolved.

What is the deal with SCTY? I have some options Nov @33, and just let it run without looking at it. Seems to be doing well last week.

What can I expect? No time to research.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, has anyone looked into lithium mining company on the premise of huge lithium ion battery production ramp up create the need for lithium? It is tempting...

I was asking myself the same question. Didnt found anything fully exposed to lithium mining, but found this nice ETF from GlobalX called LIT. Its basically invested in all major lithium related companies. Doing great so far, steady climb since I got in at 11.42 (now between 13.20 and 13.50). Not really as interesting as playing options on TSLa/KNDI (thx kevin for that one!) but might be a good longterm, low volatility play.

It's just mirroring the market. You might want to buy some calls now and more in a few days, when the debt limit dust settles.

Sleepy and others, What calls are you buying on CSIQ?

I started my position about a month ago with common shares and more recently bought some Nov 25 strikes for 0.60 each.
However, given the quick run-up in price we've had lately along with current market uncertainty (debt ceiling) I'm starting to think I should have bought longer term calls (maybe Jan15s).

Feedback appreciated.

Sleepy and others, What calls are you buying on CSIQ?

I started my position about a month ago with common shares and more recently bought some Nov 25 strikes for 0.60 each.
However, given the quick run-up in price we've had lately along with current market uncertainty (debt ceiling) I'm starting to think I should have bought longer term calls (maybe Jan15s).

Feedback appreciated.

If I remember right Sleepy has recommended only stock on solars, or LEAPS if you really want to do options. April calls are the "risky" ones. Anything sooner is gambling IMHO.

If I remember right Sleepy has recommended only stock on solars, or LEAPS if you really want to do options. April calls are the "risky" ones. Anything sooner is gambling IMHO.

Pretty much this. If you want to make money then buy shares. If you want to gamble then buy options.

I was recommending CSIQ 3 months ago at $12 and $14 and then it went up to $16 briefly before Q2. After Q2 it tanked down to like $10.66. Everyone who bought options was upset at me, and even those who bought stock ended up selling at a loss (it is above $19 today). Me on the other hand, I was buying like crazy on that dip. If you want to invest in solar, you really have to commit to it and be ready to buy more on dips and not sell at a loss.

Therefore, if your intention is to buy CSIQ to "play" the earnings report then DON'T DO IT. This is a long term investment opportunity and it may take a while to develop with a lot of ups and downs in between. Be prepared to buy and hold if you want to get in.

That said, I do options but I have a completely different risk profile than 99.9999% of investors. I have several exit strategies and for the most part I am able to monitor my holdings all the time while the market is open. I have also spent about 20+ hours a week (a lot more lately) researching the solar industry over the past two years. I know what to expect and what a news story means for the industry. I know how to react to earnings and what to look for. Quite frankly, I will have a leg up on all of you guys if things don't go well and I might be able to get out with minimal losses, while some of you guys will lose all of your money.

If you really want to do options then go with LEAPS and make sure you hold them all the way to expiry. It really doesn't matter what strike price you buy, I can make a case for any strike but ATM is always the safest bet.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have to ask what expiration month to buy or what strike price to buy, then you probably shouldn't be buying options in solar. If you want to do options in solar then you should be doing a ton of due diligence and not trust the word of some random guy on the internet that uses sleepyhead as his handle.

I held all my CSIQ after that earnings fall but sadly did not buy any extra on the dip. up really well right now. The question is weather to hold my old CSIQ Jan14 $20s through earning or dump them before. I also have LEAPS in CSIQ

Sleepy i wasnt mad about CSIQ, i was mad about SPWR :p

I held all my CSIQ after that earnings fall but sadly did not buy any extra on the dip. up really well right now. The question is weather to hold my old CSIQ Jan14 $20s through earning or dump them before. I also have LEAPS in CSIQ

Sleepy i wasnt mad about CSIQ, i was mad about SPWR :p

Exact same story goes with SPWR. I was buying up options when it was below $21 and kept buying more on the way up to create many risk free bull call spreads. I even wrote a few long posts about buying SPWR post Q2 at any price below $24, because that was an absolute floor price based on fundamentals.

I had a few short term calls for SPWR into earnings that i lost on as well as a Jan14. Jan 14 is slowly making a comeback. I bought more LEAPS in the dip and those has now covered the two Short term calls i lost out on in Q2. So Q3 going well would put me back in the money again on SPWR. If not then i will lose the Jan14 calls as well but still have my LEAPS and probably buy more to try and once again cover my loss on on the JAN14 Calls. But i hope it doesnt come to that and i can break even and get out of my JAN14s and ride my LEAPS for profit. So all in all i am looking really strong if SPWR delivers in Q3. Then my only laggards will be Intel and AMD which i will be dumping before earnings. They are both killing me. Old Tech is definitely not the place to be anymore.