Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative Energy Investor Discussions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heh, glad I'm not alone, but I didn't meant to start a pity party.

The SPWR thing is going to be interesting actually. My LEAPS are at a $25 strike price and seem to be gaining value faster than the $33 Feb 7th calls I sold are losing value. I'm generally mathematically inclined, but I'm not quite sure I follow why that is. I guess the farther ITM it is, the more the underlying value mirrors movements in the stock. I suppose that goes in the "n00b" questions thread.

As a general rule, in-the-money options will move more than out-of-the-money options, and short-term options will react more than longer-term options to the same price change in the stock.
I know this sounds contradictory, but I'd wager your ITM LEAPS Delta (1) + Theta decay (Low) is higher than the Feb 7 ATM Delta (Not quite 1) + Theta decay (Higher)

http://www.optionsplaybook.com/options-introduction/option-greeks/

Last edited:
What do you guys think about the supposed 51 million shares dilution in February and how SCTY might be affected? I sold 50% of my SCTY shares just before last week's dilution scare. Wondering if I should wait to buy more when people start worrying about dilution in February?

Last edited:
Nice to see the old dog SPWR crack back into the $35s
Small chance we could see a new 52 week high out of them. If not, it will happen at opening tomorrow before a profit taking onslaught is my guess.

After the recent runup at start of year I sold a few Jan 24th $34 calls. Bought them back today at $0.55. It now seems I caught the daily low :D My SPWR LEAPs are doing nicely ;)

After the recent runup at start of year I sold a few Jan 24th $34 calls. Bought them back today at $0.55. It now seems I caught the daily low :D My SPWR LEAPs are doing nicely ;)

I sold SPWR Jan15 Calls now to raise some cash for a potential profit taking in TSLA tomorrow or next week, to try get in for some March april OTM calls. That is if the IV cools off a bit.

Also couldn't agree more with those saying CSIQ is a hold for 2014!

I sold SPWR Jan15 Calls now to raise some cash for a potential profit taking in TSLA tomorrow or next week, to try get in for some March april OTM calls. That is if the IV cools off a bit.

Also couldn't agree more with those saying CSIQ is a hold for 2014!

Well I hedged my Jan 31st $157.5 call in TSLA with $180 call (making it risk free + $110 profit). I'm contemplating if I should sell one-two more against some other calls I have just in preparation for tomorrows profit taking or not as I could buy them back cheaper then. Probably will add one more.

CSIQ wise I got caught with my pants down somewhat. I sold Feb $39 calls when it was around that expecting some profit taking. Now I have to contemplate (they are all hedges so I'm still gaining with upwards moves more than I lose with those hedges) if I should buy them back at a loss or just ride them out assuming that CSIQ will not go above ~$42 too much in the timeframe and those calls come down in IV/time value and I can get them back at almost no loss.

What do you guys think about the supposed 51 million shares dilution in February and how SCTY might be affected? I sold 50% of my SCTY shares just before last week's dilution scare. Wondering if I should wait to buy more when people start worrying about dilution in February?

I did the same but sold 75% of my position. overestimated that dilution. I bought back a bit this AM, but mostly due to impatience. Solar fluctuates so much would not surprise me to see it dip into the mid60's again in the next couple of weeks. However in the long-run (5+ years) I think Tesla and SolarCity will be very entwined and very massive, so if you are going to hold long-term, any entry point seems reasonable.

Funny, I just did the same thing with my SPWR Jan 15 35's...my thought is I made nice $ and SPWR is more likely to grind higher so I can buy back in. I'm keeping all the CSIQ 25's and 30' as they are humming. I'm hoping to actually use those to purchase the stock long term. I bought some TSLA Feb 22 190 calls today to supplement my Mar 150's & 175's and my Jan 2016 150 & 175 LEAPS and stock - hoping I'm stealing a little deal as these should be post-earnings, last years was Feb 20th. Stock purchased in May of 2013 - Leaps and March calls at 122 and 142. Hoping for a Tsunami after earnings.

I posted this in the newbie options thread but this is probably a better place:

Quick question for you options experts: I have CSIQ Jan16 37 calls and I sold the equivalent # of weekly 37 calls for this week, which of course are way in the red. I am not sure how to 'roll them forward' as has been discussed here. Do I sell the same number of calls for 1-4 weeks from now to try to get some of the money back, or a greater number of calls? What strike price? 37 seems like a waste since I doubt it will correct that much, but if I sell a higher strike price (like 45), then the cost to buy them back will be much greater than my gains on the LEAPS if it keeps going up.

Kenya to generate over half of its electricity through solar power by 2016 | Environment | theguardian.com

"Kenya to generate over half of its electricity through solar power by 2016!"

More great news from the Guardian.

Wow! 3rd world countries really adopting solar for their power infrastructure of the future as it is easy for them to install due to low prices and they can jump to the next technology (kinda like they jumped to cell without going to hard wire phone lines). Wonder if all of this is gonna make poly prices go up sharply.

I have CSIQ Jan16 37 calls and I sold the equivalent # of weekly 37 calls for this week, which of course are way in the red. I am not sure how to 'roll them forward' as has been discussed here. Do I sell the same number of calls for 1-4 weeks from now to try to get some of the money back, or a greater number of calls? What strike price? 37 seems like a waste since I doubt it will correct that much, but if I sell a higher strike price (like 45), then the cost to buy them back will be much greater than my gains on the LEAPS if it keeps going up.
When rolling, I would definitely sell the same number of calls (otherwise you can get into serious trouble if the stock takes off!), some weeks out, and at a higher strike. When selling calls you want to sell time premium, so if you are too much in the money, the time premium is too small. So feb. 37 for example would not be a good choice IMO, since it has too little extrinsic value (time premium).
I would try to find a call that is around the same price as the calls I had. In your case that would be feb. $40 for example, but that's still in the money, so I would probably chose the 42 or 43 strike, so you would have to pay a slight debit for rolling ($1.60 or so when rolling to feb. $43). That way for just $1.60 you moved the strike up by 6 points.
That's if you don't believe CSIQ will skyrocket within the next month, of course, because then you would simply buy the call back. :)

Hope you found another call today to roll to, and if you don't mind sharing I'm curious what you did with your CSIQ-calls today...