Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative set of wheels w/o TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
Has anyone here run, or heard of someone running the Model 3 w/o TPMS installed? How intrusive is the nag, can it be cleared or will it always be there until you swap back? Does it get in the way of other [unexpected] error messages (that I’m likely to care about)?

One could put TPMS sensors inside a pressurized sealed container to avoid the nags. However, in my opinion modern tires are so advanced that cars need TPMS. A driver is unlikely to notice a slow leak until the tire disintegrates and causes major damage to your vehicle or possible loss of control by an inattentive driver.

One could put TPMS sensors inside a pressurized sealed container to avoid the nags.
That'd wouldn't work for my goal here, to save $200 on TPMS. ;)
However, in my opinion modern tires are so advanced that cars need TPMS. A driver is unlikely to notice a slow leak until the tire disintegrates and causes major damage to your vehicle or possible loss of control by an inattentive driver.
I should have include background. These wheels are not for regular daily road use, rather off-street use. Tire pressure will be checked manually regularly anyway. I've noticed that the Model 3 isn't that good about picking up pressure when the vehicle is parked. Normally I have to drive some to get a new reading to register.

Not sure if that's due to Tesla's choice on TPMS, if the Model 3's antenna design has a hard time picking up the signal, or there is some other reason like a very low scanning rate?

P.S. It's the kind of behavior I'd expect from indirect tire pressure monitoring, that uses wheel rotation speed. However I didn't think those were precise enough for 1 PSI granularity is pressure measurements?

I think to save battery power the sensors only send a signal when they sense movement.

I take a different approach to track driving. I installed an aftermarket TPMS system in my (much less expensive than a Tesla) race car to help me know what is going on with the only part of the car that touches the road. Unfortunately I can only use it in one of the two classes I compete in.

I think to save battery power the sensors only send a signal when they sense movement.

I've seen different behavior in my other cars.

I take a different approach to track driving. I installed an aftermarket TPMS system in my (much less expensive than a Tesla) race car to help me know what is going on with the only part of the car that touches the road. Unfortunately I can only use it in one of the two classes I compete in.

In autocross you don't really even have time to glance at your speedo much less any other gauge. :) ((Well I sure don't, I'm happy just to be able to keep up with seeing the next couple of cones so I don't run over them :p ). I suppose these tires would be plausible for a circuit track but they're 245/40 on 18" rims so if I ever took that step (other than an occasional leisurely lap day for grins?) I expect I'd get something else as those are about 2.5% shorter than stock. Shorter tires means the car's torque decline starts at lower mph meaning you'll lose acceleration ability. If you're going to be doing 70+mph you want taller tires since the direct drive drivetrain means they are the only "gear shifting" you have.