Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to Andersen EV Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model 3 is due in December so I have just been looking into chargers for home and trying to find something aesthetically pleasing to attach to the front of my house as I have no garage.

I was leaning towards the Andersen until I came across this little beauty today - the Wallbox Copper

It is small and very well designed. A reddot design winner 2019.
It can be placed outside as its very high IP rated.
It has facial and hand gesture recognition and excellent B.O management.

Here is a link to a youtube video -

B7N3SnsjcFjt9EX18

The unit looks nice, but the cable just hangs out of it and presumably (?) has to be plugged into a separate holder. If it's installed outside the the cable is going to blow around, etc.

The big plus about Andersen for me, besides the fact of how nice it looks, is that the cable and connector is tucked away inside the unit.

I'd want to see how reliable the gesture controls are too to be honest. Looks great in a sanitised advertisement video, maybe not so much when it's overcast or pouring it down, etc..

The unit looks nice, but the cable just hangs out of it and presumably (?) has to be plugged into a separate holder. If it's installed outside the the cable is going to blow around, etc.

The big plus about Andersen for me, besides the fact of how nice it looks, is that the cable and connector is tucked away inside the unit.

I'd want to see how reliable the gesture controls are too to be honest. Looks great in a sanitised advertisement video, maybe not so much when it's overcast or pouring it down, etc..

Agree - the Andersen is the only charger I’ve seen that has a built in cable tidy, and that’s why I went with them (as it will be installed and used outdoors).

IMO, they've rather spoiled the aesthetic by slapping "WALLBOX" in huge letters across the middle.

Face recognition could be good or hopeless depending how they've implemented it; given the unit is normally installed below head height (max 1.5m if socketed, and circumstances often dictate lower), I wonder how the view is oriented.

Agree - the Andersen is the only charger I’ve seen that has a built in cable tidy, and that’s why I went with them (as it will be installed and used outdoors).

That was my logic also. Andersen also impressed me with their survey and install process. My charger is installed nicely but I’ve no idea if it works yet as I’m not due to collect my car for another week or so.

Using facial recognition and hand gestures to operate a product such as a wall charger does seem rather over the top.

Yeah I can see the novelty of staring matches and karate moves with the wall box quickly wearing off. It’s actually more practical and reliable to simply press a button to operate a product like this.

Using facial recognition and hand gestures to operate a product such as a wall charger does seem rather over the top.

That complexity will leads to unexpected side effects in my (long and weary!) experience.

It begs the question about people being concerned about theft of electricity from their wall chargers, and no doubt some locations will be more prone than others (and keys / isolater switches etc. are options, albeit adding annoyance and hassle to each use)

But realistically is someone going to park and charge for hours and hours in broad daylight ... for a couple of £quid of leccy?

Indeed. It’s a solution looking for a problem in my opinion.

As you say how commonplace is it going to be that an EV charger is installed somewhere where anyone can pitch up and use it (and will) ? I’d venture for most people it’s irrelevant, and in most practical situations - where there might be 2 or more people using the car - having facial recognition is unnecessarily burdensome.

Same with gesture recognition. Why is it needed?

I went from ooh to bah for three reasons
1) The price
2) Gesture tech is all very smart but does it really add anything? Probably subtracts value over time as others have said
3) Can't see anything that suggests this is waterproof and suitable for mounting outside.

It begs the question about people being concerned about theft of electricity from their wall chargers, and no doubt some locations will be more prone than others (and keys / isolater switches etc. are options, albeit adding annoyance and hassle to each use)

I'm in a quiet area up north so if someone was actually desperate for a charge, and for some reason mine was the only one they could reach, I'd offer them a cuppa and some biscuits. That said, if they were doing it regularly I'd be having words.*

*This is all theoretical however as the council have denied my application for a dropped kerb :mad:

Yeah I can see the novelty of staring matches and karate moves with the wall box quickly wearing off. It’s actually more practical and reliable to simply press a button to operate a product like this.

I've just hurt myself trying not to laugh loudly at midnight and wake the whole house. Your post went visual and I'm still chuckling as I type.

Reactions: elecTED