Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one of these Leviton units for my RAV4 EV. It is a solid piece of equipment that delivers 40A to an EV, just like the UMC. As you can see, they are now $700. Two years ago, I paid $900. So, it is now slightly less than a HPWC, which costs $750. If I had a Model S, I would buy a HPWC, even if my situation dictated that I set it for 40A. Clipper Creek has units that are 32A (HCS-40 $600) and 48A (HCS-60 $900) which straddle the price of the Leviton and HPWC. With all that said, I will continue to use the Leviton, even when I get a Model 3.

What happen if you put the nema 14-50 on a 100a breaker and use UMC? I wonder if that is a good future proof to later easily add hpwc?
The right way to future-proof it is to either put conduit that can accept the #3 wire required for a 100A circuit, but put #6 copper wire and put the 14-50 and a 50A breaker, or really pull the #3 wire and put the 14-50 and 50A breaker. You should not put the 100A breaker until the equipment and wire all properly matches.

At $750, no adapter required, button that opens Model S charge port, 25' cord, and compatibility with circuits anywhere from 20 A to 100 A, it is hard to find a better value than the HPWC. The only drawback is that it cannot charge other EVs. A Tesla to J1772 adapter would be a great enabler for that if someone ever makes one.

GSP

PS. kW/hr is a nonsense unit. The charge rate is measured in kW. The energy provided is measured in kWh, the kW rate multiplied by the time.