TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Alternative to HPWC

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by smilepak, Jul 13, 2015.

1. smilepak

smilepak Member

2. miimura

miimura Active Member

I have one of these Leviton units for my RAV4 EV. It is a solid piece of equipment that delivers 40A to an EV, just like the UMC. As you can see, they are now $700. Two years ago, I paid $900. So, it is now slightly less than a HPWC, which costs $750. If I had a Model S, I would buy a HPWC, even if my situation dictated that I set it for 40A. Clipper Creek has units that are 32A (HCS-40 $600) and 48A (HCS-60 $900) which straddle the price of the Leviton and HPWC. With all that said, I will continue to use the Leviton, even when I get a Model 3.

3. Peter1087

Peter1087 Member

The UMC already charges at 9.6 with a standard NEMA 14-50 assuming 240v. (40a x 240v)

4. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Just because you don't have dual chargers it doesn't mean the HPWC isn't worth it. My HPWC is on a 30A circuit, I like that I don't need an adapter.

5. smilepak

smilepak Member

Oh really? I thought I read on their site it's 7.x kW/hr.
    Would be awesome if they off a hpwc with plug.

Also read over heating issue with hpwc.

I went with non-hpwc dyue to wife might getting leaf

6. smilepak

smilepak Member

What happen if you put the nema 14-50 on a 100a breaker and use UMC? I wonder if that is a good future proof to later easily add hpwc?

7. miimura

miimura Active Member

The right way to future-proof it is to either put conduit that can accept the #3 wire required for a 100A circuit, but put #6 copper wire and put the 14-50 and a 50A breaker, or really pull the #3 wire and put the 14-50 and 50A breaker. You should not put the 100A breaker until the equipment and wire all properly matches.

8. GSP

GSP Member

At $750, no adapter required, button that opens Model S charge port, 25' cord, and compatibility with circuits anywhere from 20 A to 100 A, it is hard to find a better value than the HPWC. The only drawback is that it cannot charge other EVs. A Tesla to J1772 adapter would be a great enabler for that if someone ever makes one.

GSP

PS. kW/hr is a nonsense unit. The charge rate is measured in kW. The energy provided is measured in kWh, the kW rate multiplied by the time.