Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazing week for Tesla and the Whiner babies

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly I thought the Model Y unveiling was quite a let down. 30-40 minutes prattling on about all the other cars and making normal awkward stuttering Elon small talk and half baked jokes about Ford killing SEX, etc... followed by a 5 minute "reveal" that involved driving a dark blue car onto a dimly lit stage where you couldn't see a damn thing, followed by almost no information around things potential owners care about like what the tailgate entry looks like, how the seats fold down, whether the lift gate is powered and if there are any other differentiators from the Model 3.

The 7 seat design is clearly not finalized as there appear to be no press kit photos of what it will really look like. Sheesh.

Where will the car be built, did they even say?

And taking deposits now for a car that won't ship in real numbers till the end of next year? We've all seen that movie before.

With 70% parts overlap Tesla should be doing everything they can to accelerate introduction of the Y. When the Germans builds a CUV based on a sedan it typically ships one year after the sedan, not 2-3 years after. Tesla really REALLY needs this car available for sale yesterday, let alone 18 months from now.

Seems like I'm not the only one underwhelmed, the stock is getting hammered today.

Frankly I thought the Model Y unveiling was quite a let down. 30-40 minutes prattling on about all the other cars and making normal awkward stuttering Elon small talk and half baked jokes about Ford killing SEX, etc... followed by a 5 minute "reveal" that involved driving a dark blue car onto a dimly lit stage where you couldn't see a damn thing, followed by almost no information around things potential owners care about like what the tailgate entry looks like, how the seats fold down, whether the lift gate is powered and if there are any other differentiators from the Model 3.

The 7 seat design is clearly not finalized as there appear to be no press kit photos of what it will really look like. Sheesh.

Where will the car be built, did they even say?

And taking deposits now for a car that won't ship in real numbers till the end of next year? We've all seen that movie before.

With 70% parts overlap Tesla should be doing everything they can to accelerate introduction of the Y. When the Germans builds a CUV based on a sedan it typically ships one year after the sedan, not 2-3 years after. Tesla really REALLY needs this car available for sale yesterday, let alone 18 months from now.

Seems like I'm not the only one underwhelmed, the stock is getting hammered today.

Yeah it was pretty awful.

I suspect the reason it's still not shipping till late 2020 is they literally have nowhere to build it right now. Even if they "know" it'll be at say gigafactory 1, there's no MFG set up there yet, and as he mentioned, that takes a while.

Because Tesla, as always, seems to have 0 understanding of planning ahead for things they know are coming years in advance.

From the same people who brought you such hits as:

"Oh, wow, we actually need trucks to deliver the huge # of new cars we KNEW YEARS IN ADVANCE we'd be making by now?"

and

"Oh, wow, we actually need more/bigger service centers to service the huge # of new cars we KNEW YEARS IN ADVANCE we'd be servicing by now?"

and

"Oh, wow, we actually need to have spare parts in the supply chain for the huge # of new cars we KNEW YEARS IN ADVANCE we'd be repairing by now?"

and

"Oh, wow, we actually should've learned SOMETHING from all of the above and not made a ton of the same mistakes doing Europe deliveries?"

To be fair- part of that is Tesla wanting to avoid any more cap raises and be able to finally show tiny profits, so they didn't have $ to spend on any of this anyway- but it not only slows everything down, it makes them look like clueless idiots logistics wise.

Also Elon is a terrible presenter

While I was underwhelmed with the presentation I think the Model Y as shown will be very successful. Yes, the Y will not be available in any flavor for 18 months but as long as Tesla can be profitable in both the short term and the long term everything will be alright. If you don't want to put money down (again) on the Y, then don't.