Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... I'm pretty ticked here... My spoiler is leaking a white goo that dries to the car, looks like crap, is rough, and if I try to remove it; 1. damages the paint of the car and 2. comes back next time I wash it or it rain

Is anyone else having this issue?! I'm going to have to remove it at this point, as I see no other way to stop this run off of glue type stuff. I plan to contact the seller today and see what can be done.

I'm guessing it came from using that "adhesion prompter" that crap needs to be REMOVED from the packaging!

How long did u wait to wash your car after installing the spoiler? I know that some adhesions promoters need to dry prior to sticking. I installed the spoiler last night with the adhesion promoter. I will keep you updated if there are any issues. It is supposed to rain tomorrow.

Here is the Data Sheet on the 3M Adhesion Promoter......Read the Application Procedure and use gloves as that material contains some unnatural components. If I use the promoter, I will get the real 3M brand from a local auto paint supply house...

Sabr... I truly hope you get this situation sorted out... I hate hearing about damaged paint...:mad:

3M
Adhesion Promoter 06396
For Plastic Trim Attachment
General Description

Supersedes Technical Data Sheet dated July 2002

3MTM Adhesion Promoter 06396 is a liquid primer used to improve the adhesion of3MTM Automotive Attachment Tapes to most low surface energy plastic materials aswell as injection- molded body side moldings and claddings used for automotiveexterior trims. This would include common low surface energy plastics used forautomotive interior and exterior trim applications (TPO, PPO, PP, PC, PC + ABS,etc.). Since formulations and surface energies can vary for these types of materials,each application should be verified through testing. 3M adhesion promoter 06396is specifically formulated to be used on plastic parts with 3MTM Acrylic Foam Tapesand 3MTM Acrylic Plus Tapes (3M part numbers 06377, 06378, 06380, 06381,06382, 06383, 06384, 06385, 06386 and 06397) for automotive applications.

Physical Properties

Components
Solids
ColorViscosityFlashpointDrying TimeDensityAvailabilityCoverage

Cyclohexane, xylene, ethyl alcohol, ethylbenzene, ethylacetate, acrylic polymer, chlorinated polyolefins, isopropylalcohol
Contains less than 0.5% of the following:
bisphenol a-epicholrohydrin copolymer, methyl alcohol,chlorobenzene

Approximately 5%
Straw
25 Centipose maximum
°F (-20°C)
30-90 seconds
3.1 kg (6.8 lb) per gallon
Sponge applicator packet - 2.5 cc
Approximately 150 in
2 per sponge applicator packet

Safety Procedures
Shelf Life

Observe proper handling precautions as outlined in the material safety data sheet(MSDS), which is available on request. The website address for 3M MSDSs iswww.3M.com/msds. If necessary, the 3M 24-hour emergency response telephonenumber is 1-800-364-3577 or 651-737-6501.

Shelf life is one year from date of receipt by customer when stored in the originalcontainer at 4°C - 38°C (40°F - 100°F) and 0 - 95% relative humidity. Storage atlower temperatures for short periods will not affect product performance if theprimer is warmed to recommended temperatures before application.

Technical Data Sheet 06396

Page 2
Surface Preparation
Application Procedure

The bonding surface should be clean and dry. Contaminated surfaces should be cleaned with an untreated, lint-free cloth and 3MTM General Purpose AdhesiveCleaner (Part No. 08984) or 3MTM Prep Solvent 70 Low VOC Cleaner (Part No.08973). Follow this by wiping with another untreated, lint-free cloth and isopropylalcohol. Observe precautions for solvent handling.

3MTM Adhesion Promoter 06396 is supplied in an easy-to-use sponge applicator packet. The liquid contents of the packet should be completely used as soon as possible after opening. Hold packet upright and avoid squeezing an opened packet toprevent spillage of liquid contents. The packet can be opened by tearing across thetop of the packet at the notches. This will expose the sponge applicator. Do notremove the sponge or squeeze a freshly opened packet. Handling the bottom section of the packet should enable application of 3M adhesion promoter 06396 with no mess.

Apply a thin, uniform coating to the bonding surface, using the minimum amount that will fully coat the surface. A wet coating thickness of 0.002 inch or lessensures a good application. Although drying times may vary due to temperatureand/or humidity, a drying time of 30-90 seconds results with a coating of this thickness. The primer should be dry before applying tape. For best results, apply tape immediately after primer application or no more than one hour after primer application. Be sure the primer surface remains free from contaminants prior totape application.

3M adhesion promoter 06396 can be cleaned up with methylethyl ketone (MEK) oracetone solvents (be careful with solvents on plastics). Vigorous scrubbing may berequired. To prevent cosmetic damage to visible surfaces, be sure to apply the pro-moter or any solvents only to areas that will be fully covered by the part.

Caution: When using solvents for cleanup, use the precautionary measures recom-mended in the MSDS for the solvent.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are thorough! I managed to remove the spoiler, seriously damaging the paint w/the fishing line. And the sticker remover clouded the tail lights and damaged interior plastic, as it ran off and into the trunk. I've been able to fix the plastic tail lights and interior w/some car polish and a lot of rubbing.

I've asked the seller for a refund, as I just can't deal with this any more.

I waited about 3 or 4 days before using a car wash. I did try one final time to reapply the spoiler, mostly to hide the damage under it, and it just didn't sit flush enough for me to think it was a good idea.

I've asked the seller for a refund and am willing to ship it back.

had it not leaked the white goo material (which now I'll read the chemical list), it may have been a fine accessory. I'm just too stressed to really care at this point, I just want it back to what it was when I bought the car... so I used black touch up paint on heavy, and I have a friend coming to help me wet sand it back to looking like new.

Maybe. But I'm a bit past that now. I'm not doing anything that's not OEM to this car... It just doesn't end well for me.
also, when I removed it, it had water in it...

When washing it, I don't want trapped water Under it to come out while driving or it sits and leaves streaks on the paint. I'm a bit ocd about the paint/look...

The OEM spoiler definitely had a tighter fit, and didn't retain water... Still not worth 1k, but obviously superior to this. I've asked the seller to return it...

- - - Updated - - -

The drool lines running from the spoiler were the reason for its removal. Lines appeared after washes, never before, and when removed causes additional scratches to car.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 671
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    801.1 KB · Views: 642
  • Helpful
Reactions: 00poop6x
Maybe. But I'm a bit past that now. I'm not doing anything that's not OEM to this car... It just doesn't end well for me.
also, when I removed it, it had water in it...
When washing it, I don't want trapped water Under it to come out while driving or it sits and leaves streaks on the paint. I'm a bit ocd about the paint/look...
The OEM spoiler definitely had a tighter fit, and didn't retain water... Still not worth 1k, but obviously superior to this. I've asked the seller to return it...
- - - Updated - - -
The drool lines running from the spoiler were the reason for its removal. Lines appeared after washes, never before, and when removed causes additional scratches to car.

SabrTooth, I feel for you ... this sounds stressful!
My suggestion is to follow through with the installation as the rear trunk lip will never look right without it.
I know you are inclined to send it back, however the spoiler will cover the compromised area and look better.

The key is to dry fit the spoiler and add additional 3M tape to get a perfect fit that seals well along the entire trunk.
Once you have a good fit with no visible gaps or daylight, then peel the tape and apply the spoiler without the promoter.
Good luck!

That's messed up! DAMN, that hurts me just looking at it. I'm guessing the adhesion promoter did it job by creating a tight bond between the glue and your car. Unfortunately, the residue required you to remove it and you got that. I agree with the others, put it back on and try not to think about it too much. I guess I was luck in removing mine. I had it on only for 2 days in the garage before I decided to take it off. I did have to work at getting it off, but I guess I was lucky before it cured. Again, sorry for your troubles.

True, more tape along the edges may prevent water from getting in. I'm getting help with touchup paint and some wet sanding tonight hopefully. If it's still awful I may try to reapply it, or get a quote to sand and paint the whole tailgate...

fun stuff. The 3M tape that came on the spoiler was a lot thicker than the roll stuff they gave me... I assume the OEM one is also just double sided taped on. Did they get a hold of an OEM one and just use it to make a mold?
IMG_3109.JPG

this is the damage I did with fishing line removing the spoiler. It's now been covered with black touchup paint, to be wet sanded down... yea, I ****ed up. I didn't realize I was grinding paint, I thought it just got stuck on the tape... good times.

Last edited:
Have anyone not used the 3M tape provided with the spoiler? And used some other kind of glue (not talking about the promoter within the package)? I would think it would be easier to mount the spoiler with some kind of glue instead of tape, then you would be able to "move" the spoiler some millimeter after putting it on the car, with the tape you only get "one shot".....

I am thinking of going to a shop that can mount it for me , I am afraid to **** it up with the tape mounting :)

Last edited:
On stickers you use a spray bottle filled with water and a FEW drops of shampoo. this allows you to spray the surface, apply the sticker and be able to move it around just a bit, then press it down to get it to stick.

I DO NOT KNOW if this technique would work with the tape or not.

Just got mine today from JS Motorsports on Amazon. Bit the bullet and paid the $199 as I think the $154 was a finger slip that they quickly fixed. Anyway, it got here in 5 days like the others have reported on here. Only difference being is that I am in South Florida. Not too bad considering I sometimes have a hard time getting a package from NorCal down here in 5 days. LOL. Anyway, I figured I would take a couple of pictures of the unboxing as it is very well protected (3 layers) in the event anyone was interested in seeing the "Before application" photos. The spoiler thankfully arrived without any dings or scratches, and came fully taped around the perimeter (prevent water intrusion), as well as included an entire extra roll of 3M tape. The adhesion promotor packets are in there but given everyones problems with it I will be avoiding it. Pictures of the finished install to follow in the next week or so.

IMG_2622.jpg
IMG_2623.jpg
IMG_2620.jpg

I didn't have luck with mine, and have no interest in trying again, so I may be willing to sell it on the cheap - only problem is shipping as I no longer have the original box.

I'd let it go for $50 if anyone is willing to pick it up. - Harrisburg, PA area. Part of that being I did NOT have luck with it, and accept NO responsibility if it doesn't work out for you. No refunds/exchanges/nothing. Cash only, and you will not follow me home. If no one wants it, I may just toss it. It's been a cause of stress for me.

AS IS, Cash Only, no refunds, no warranty, no recourse, nothing. It's as it looks right now. It will not get any software updates, it does not go any faster, it will not get you laid, it does not regrow hair.

I didn't have luck with mine, and have no interest in trying again, so I may be willing to sell it on the cheap - only problem is shipping as I no longer have the original box.

I'd let it go for $50 if anyone is willing to pick it up. - Harrisburg, PA area. Part of that being I did NOT have luck with it, and accept NO responsibility if it doesn't work out for you. No refunds/exchanges/nothing. Cash only, and you will not follow me home. If no one wants it, I may just toss it. It's been a cause of stress for me.

AS IS, Cash Only, no refunds, no warranty, no recourse, nothing. It's as it looks right now. It will not get any software updates, it does not go any faster, it will not get you laid, it does not regrow hair.
Hmm....I will pm you on that offer

After seeing SabrToothSqrl's misfortunes, I've decided to not install mine either. I got 2 for sale. 100 for both + 25 shipping. First one has a slight blemish on the dip, but never installed. See my pics in the post. Would be a good opportunity to use it as a test install, re-wrap or even used as a test spoiler for bending to make a perfect fit. I have the original box to ship out. I did install the second one but took that off after 2 days sitting in the garage. I retaped it so its ready to be installed.

+1 on SabrToothSqrl's disclaimer.

Really sorry to hear about the problems that some are having with the spoiler. I installed mine today and hoping for the best. Using the tape provided, I added an additional 2" strip to each corner and a 6" strip in the center using another roll of 3M D/S molding tape I purchased. As I did research on the adhesion promotor, I discovered that it is not applied to metal surfaces. It is only applied to plastic surfaces as plastic will leech and absorb the adhesive over time. I did apply the adhesive promotor just to underside of the spoiler only where the new tape was applied after thoroughly cleaning the area with alcohol. On to the car, I first washed the deck lid with kitchen soap as it has a de-greaser in it. Once dry, I wiped down the surface completely with alcohol. Using blue painters tape to set my marks for the location, I removed the backing on all of the tape I applied and the end pieces. I peeled back about 3" of the remaining tape starting at the center. Once the spoiler was placed exactly where I wanted it, I started to peel back all of the remaining tape pushing down on the spoiler firmly as I went (center to the edges). Despite having a small gap on one of the ends prior to the install, once the spoiler was firmly seated into the tap, the gap was gone. I have some strips of painters tape holding it in place just to be sure as the car "bakes" in the 90+ sun outside. Everything I have read however states that the 3M tape does not have a cure time. Once stuck, it is stuck. I will post some photos of the finished install a bit later.

Hi everyone after reading this thread many times about problems installing I want to give you all a good video to watch to install the spoiler. I ended up buying the same spoiler as this tread and the whole trunk one by T Sportsline. I decided to install the T Sportsline version and I sold this one. The installation procedure is exactly the same so here is a good video to watch:

T Sportline Tesla Model S Carbon Fiber Trunk Wing install - YouTube

Cheers

Jeff:biggrin: