Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Amazon After market Spoiler Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone tried using a heat gun to warm/heat the spoiler and bend the left side slightly so it conforms better to the trunk lip? I am making an assumption that the spoiler may be made out of plastic instead of carbon fiber.

Carbon Fiber does not react to heat like plastic does, or else it would be a good idea. Fair point, these guys are claiming this thing is made out of carbon fiber and that may or may not be true.

- - - Updated - - -

I removed mine as it was not flushed on the left side. Heated it in the steam from boiling water and remounted it today. Now it's flush....[emoji106]

And.... I might be wrong.

I just ordered a version of the spoiler that came with no tape or adhesive. What type of tape should I use? There's a zillion different kinds of 3M adhesive tape in many different thicknesses.
Spoiler itself is in near flawless condition. There's a few minor scratches on the bottom, but I'm not Steve Jobs so those won't bother me once it's mounted.
Thx in advance.

I just ordered a version of the spoiler that came with no tape or adhesive. What type of tape should I use? There's a zillion different kinds of 3M adhesive tape in many different thicknesses.
Spoiler itself is in near flawless condition. There's a few minor scratches on the bottom, but I'm not Steve Jobs so those won't bother me once it's mounted.
Thx in advance.

3/4" double sided 3M. It has a red plastic backing and the tape itself is black. Rated for something like 22lbs per square inch. I know what you mean about the tape types.

The inside of my role says "extreme mounting tape", if that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: Swift
This guy on eBay has it for $199 where as the amazon one is at $299. Has anyone tried this buyer yet?
12-16 Tesla Model S Performance Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing - CF Carbon Fiber | eBay
Thanks!

Looks very similar to the one I purchased on eBay ... the quality was very good with no mods needed :cool:

upload_2017-1-16_8-18-54.png

Based on a quick review of this topic, I find six different spoiler sources that have been discussed (and there may well have been some I missed). It's unclear as to whether some of these vendors are selling the same item. I'm considering getting one for my new S (due to be picked up on 18 Mar), but am concerned about two problems:

1) Quality of manufacture: don't want one that won't hold up over time, by cracking for example, or yellowing from solar UV exposure because a cheap epoxy was used.

2) Fit. Some vendors claim their spoiler only fits specific model years (not including 2017). Some postings to this topic have had problem with the spoiler fitting the shape of the trunk where it is supposed to be mounted. I really don't want to end up having to heat-form the spoiler to make it fit.

Does anyone have a firm enough grasp of this multi-year discussion to give a clear summary? Or perhaps purchasers of some of these spoilers could post their experience to date?

1) Ikon Motorsports via ebay, carbon fiber, $200:
12-16 Tesla Model S Performance Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing - CF Carbon Fiber | eBay

2) Ikon Motorsports via ebay, plastic, $160:
12-16 Tesla Model S 4Dr Sedan Rear Trunk Spoiler Wing Unpainted FRP | eBay

3) JCSPORTLINE, carbon fiber, $289:
Amazon.com: JCSPORTLINE Carbon Fiber Spoiler for Tesla Model S 2012-2016 (Gloss Black): Automotive

4) UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE trunk spolier, designed and produced in California, $1,145.00–$1,995.00:
Unplugged Performance Trunk Spoiler for Tesla Model S

5) Chinese matte carbon fiber, $161:
For Tesla S Matt Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Wing Spoiler for Tesla S 4D All Sedan Models 70 85 P85 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016-in Spoilers & Wings from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group?

6) Vendor in Houston, TX, via ebay, carbon fiber, $180:
Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip Spoiler For Tesla Model S 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 | eBay

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Swift and Cricket88
I got the Texas EBay one but I only had a chance to unwrap it and inspect it before leaving on holidays. It looks great to me and I was really impressed with how it sat flat on the back with no gaps or lifting. I'll install it when I'm back next week and post a pic.

Based on a quick review of this topic, I find six different spoiler sources that have been discussed (and there may well have been some I missed). It's unclear as to whether some of these vendors are selling the same item. I'm considering getting one for my new S (due to be picked up on 18 Mar), but am concerned about two problems:

1) Quality of manufacture: don't want one that won't hold up over time, by cracking for example, or yellowing from solar UV exposure because a cheap epoxy was used.

2) Fit. Some vendors claim their spoiler only fits specific model years (not including 2017). Some postings to this topic have had problem with the spoiler fitting the shape of the trunk where it is supposed to be mounted. I really don't want to end up having to heat-form the spoiler to make it fit.

Does anyone have a firm enough grasp of this multi-year discussion to give a clear summary? Or perhaps purchasers of some of these spoilers could post their experience to date?

Amazon.com: JCSPORTLINE Carbon Fiber Spoiler for Tesla Model S 2012-2016 (Gloss Black): Automotive

4) UNPLUGGED PERFORMANCE trunk spolier, designed and produced in California, $1,145.00–$1,995.00:

For Tesla S Matt Carbon Fiber Rear Trunk Wing Spoiler for Tesla S 4D All Sedan Models 70 85 P85 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016-in Spoilers & Wings from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group?

Carbon Fiber Trunk Lip Spoiler For Tesla Model S 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 | eBay
I didn't go through all of those, but are they all the direct knock offs from stock or do they have their own design and flair? I think you should only consider the ones that are the direct knock-offs.

As far as fit goes your going to want one that fits the refresh. I have been looking for a while now and cant find one that looks like the one Tesla offers for P editions. One dead give a way is any car in these photos that has a chrome defuser at the bottom of the bumper is an original (prerefresh) version, and wont fit your car.

I got the Texas EBay one but I only had a chance to unwrap it and inspect it before leaving on holidays. It looks great to me and I was really impressed with how it sat flat on the back with no gaps or lifting. I'll install it when I'm back next week and post a pic.

Is your car a refresh? From my comment above, the photo in the link looks like it has that chrome defuser so I doubt it will fit my car.