Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient lighting for 2023 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It definitely used to be present - don't know if it still is, though I saw someone with a 2023 model S post about the wiring still being there. The service manual even shows trim with the wiring from before they nixed the feature.

With highland getting it my guess would be the S/X will get it soon... but soon in Tesla's world could still mean years.

Whether or not they offer a retrofit is any guess. But if the parts do become available, it should still be possible to retrofit ourselves if you know someone who can make gateway changes

That's good to know on the service manual - I will look into that.

If the parts do become available, I'll order them and attempt an install - I have no issues doing that. You mention the gateway changes - can you explain that a bit further? I do have a contact that is a registered 3rd-party Tesla repair service so I'm assuming he could do whatever changes would be necessary for me with his access, but I'd have to verify based on how you respond.

Does that simply mean having Toolbox access to make localized changes on the car, or does that mean making back-end changes at Tesla to enable the features - or both?

If the back end compute at Tesla has to be involved, then I may possibly have to request a favor at a service center if my 3rd-party contact can't do the procedures.

That's good to know on the service manual - I will look into that.

If the parts do become available, I'll order them and attempt an install - I have no issues doing that. You mention the gateway changes - can you explain that a bit further? I do have a contact that is a registered 3rd-party Tesla repair service so I'm assuming he could do whatever changes would be necessary for me with his access, but I'd have to verify based on how you respond.

Does that simply mean having Toolbox access to make localized changes on the car, or does that mean making back-end changes at Tesla to enable the features - or both?

If the back end compute at Tesla has to be involved, then I may possibly have to request a favor at a service center if my 3rd-party contact can't do the procedures.

Here are some pics from the S service manual

1698874439089.png

1698874456090.png

As far as the gateway changes -- the public facing version of toolbox is pretty limited in what gateway items it can change compared to internal use. To be determined if RGB would be one of those allowed changes or not. There are some individuals out there who seem to have a deeper level of access (don't know if they have friendly employees on the inside or what) and can update the configuration remotely. I had a few items changed on my model 3 by them. If you look at the amber taillight retrofit thread in the model 3 subforum, there's a little more info. Other option would be to find someone who can root the car, though I don't know if any methods exist for Ryzen based cars yet.

Tesla recently added the following gateway parameters, thus far only showing as applicable to the Model 3/Y and Cybertruck, but that could change in the future. (poppyseed is model3 highland, lychee and tamarind are the refresh S/X)

Code:
      {
         "accessId":26,
         "codeKey":"interiorLighting",
         "content":{
            "enums":[
               {
                  "codeKey":"BASE",
                  "description":"Base interior lighting",
                  "value":0,
                  "products":[
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Lychee",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed",
                     "Tamarind"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM",
                  "description":"Premium interior lighting",
                  "value":1,
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Lychee",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed",
                     "Tamarind"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_NO_POCKET_LIGHT",
                  "description":"Premium interior lighting without door pocket lights",
                  "value":2,
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_WITH_RGB",
                  "description":"Premium RGB interior lighting",
                  "value":3,
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_WITH_RGB_IP_ONLY",
                  "description":"Premium lighting with instrument panel RGB lighting only",
                  "value":4,
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               }
            ]
         }

Reactions: EightBitWhit
Here are some pics from the S service manual

View attachment 987110

View attachment 987111

As far as the gateway changes -- the public facing version of toolbox is pretty limited in what gateway items it can change compared to internal use. To be determined if RGB would be one of those allowed changes or not. There are some individuals out there who seem to have a deeper level of access (don't know if they have friendly employees on the inside or what) and can update the configuration remotely. I had a few items changed on my model 3 by them. If you look at the amber taillight retrofit thread in the model 3 subforum, there's a little more info. Other option would be to find someone who can root the car, though I don't know if any methods exist for Ryzen based cars yet.

Tesla recently added the following gateway parameters, thus far only showing as applicable to the Model 3/Y and Cybertruck, but that could change in the future. (poppyseed is model3 highland, lychee and tamarind are the refresh S/X)

Code:
      {
         "accessId":26,
         "codeKey":"interiorLighting",
         "content":{
            "enums":[
               {
                  "codeKey":"BASE",
                  "description":"Base interior lighting",
                  "value":0,
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Lychee",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed",
                     "Tamarind"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM",
                  "description":"Premium interior lighting",
                  "value":1,
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Lychee",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed",
                     "Tamarind"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_NO_POCKET_LIGHT",
                  "description":"Premium interior lighting without door pocket lights",
                  "value":2,
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_WITH_RGB",
                  "description":"Premium RGB interior lighting",
                  "value":3,
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               },
               {
                  "codeKey":"PREMIUM_WITH_RGB_IP_ONLY",
                  "description":"Premium lighting with instrument panel RGB lighting only",
                  "value":4,
                     "Model3",
                     "ModelY",
                     "Cybertruck",
                     "Poppyseed"
                  ]
               }
            ]
         }
Great detail - thank you for that + the pictures. That brings me some hope that this could potentially be done.

Is that updated gateway file modified locally and then submitted back to Tesla's API for processing or is there a system by which someone can modify the "value" keys on the fly?

Reactions: snorlax
Great detail - thank you for that + the pictures. That brings me some hope that this could potentially be done.

Is that updated gateway file modified locally and then submitted back to Tesla's API for processing or is there a system by which someone can modify the "value" keys on the fly?
My understanding is toolbox sends a command to the car to update the gateway config with the desired setting. The command is only accepted if it comes with a valid token, which only Tesla can generate. Tesla can also issue such changes remotely, but it’s still ultimately the mothership asking the car to make a change to itself.

If you can gain shell access to the gateway, you can update the gateway config without messing with the tokens and such. But the people with that know how are generally keeping quiet.

My understanding is toolbox sends a command to the car to update the gateway config with the desired setting. The command is only accepted if it comes with a valid token, which only Tesla can generate. Tesla can also issue such changes remotely, but it’s still ultimately the mothership asking the car to make a change to itself.

If you can gain shell access to the gateway, you can update the gateway config without messing with the tokens and such. But the people with that know how are generally keeping quiet.
Fair enough - that's at least something to go on. I'll check with my local authorized service contact to see what would even be possible once any retrofit is confirmed... it's a few steps that all need to go in the proper order before I'd even consider burning someone else's time to help.

So for what it's worth, current toolbox javascript is showing "rgbInteriorlightingenabled" as an option that can be configured by the "tbx-internal" role (i.e Tesla employees). I cannot find specific details about the "rgbInteriorlightingenabled" option otherwise, but that raises my hopes that a retrofit will be feasible if/when Tesla releases this.

So for what it's worth, current toolbox javascript is showing "rgbInteriorlightingenabled" as an option that can be configured by the "tbx-internal" role (i.e Tesla employees). I cannot find specific details about the "rgbInteriorlightingenabled" option otherwise, but that raises my hopes that a retrofit will be feasible if/when Tesla releases this.
Is this new? Teslascope posted this a few days ago but not sure if it’s accurate.

IMG_0922.jpeg

This is excellent news - thanks for continuing to follow-up on this! Every finger I have is currently crossed that we can do the retrofit *and* get the software integration enabled. That would be amazing.

Reactions: theslimshadyist
If you have good handy skills and patience, the EVBASE RGB lighting kit is an awesome choice!

Thank you @Bypass and @Tessellation - this kit looks fantastic - I will say that. I may wind up going that route if we don't see an official offer from Tesla relatively soon. Honestly - I doubt Tesla will ever make this a retrofit, but hope springs eternal here. ;)

I've got some questions after looking over the EVBASE website... can either of you answer the following?
  1. Does the kit come with printed installation instructions? That 3-minute "12x playback speed" install video they link on the product page isn't going to be enough for me to do this project myself. I'm going to need more deliberate steps laid out to help me make sure I don't mess anything up. I'm good to do the work - I just don't want to have to piece together install steps between the choppy video they provided.

2. Does the kit come with tools and everything needed for a turnkey install?

3. Are there any kind of light effects that integrate with the car features (for example, getting brighter when any door opens, getting dimmer when all doors close, getting dim at night or when the headlights come on, etc?
Thx!!

Last edited:
Thank you @Bypass and @Tessellation - this kit looks fantastic - I will say that. I may wind up going that route if we don't see an official offer from Tesla relatively soon. Honestly - I doubt Tesla will ever make this a retrofit, but hope springs eternal here. ;)

I've got some questions after looking over the EVBASE website... can either of you answer the following?
  1. Does the kit come with printed installation instructions? That 3-minute "12x playback speed" install video they link on the product page isn't going to be enough for me to do this project myself. I'm going to need more deliberate steps laid out to help me make sure I don't mess anything up. I'm good to do the work - I just don't want to have to piece together install steps between the choppy video they provided.

3. Are there any kind of light effects that integrate with the car features (for example, getting brighter when any door opens, getting dimmer when all doors close, getting dim at night or when the headlights come on, etc?
Thx!!
I can't speak to #1-2 since the installer did everything for me.

Re #3: there's no integration with vehicle functions. The various lighting colors and modes can be customized through an app (via Bluetooth). There's a sort of 'dancing colors' mode that's synchronized to the music playing, but that's the extent of integration.

Thx!!
Questions #1-2

Day #1
There are no printed instructions, but don't worry. Although the video is choppy, you can still follow along. Just pause it several times if needed. Start by removing the dash trim and then move on to the two front door panels and trim
Day #2
Installing the front seat back covers can be a bit tricky. You must remove the head restraints to gain access, but it's unnecessary. Carefully insert the optical tube assembly between the seat and the back cover, and then feed the Y cable underneath the seats to make the final connection on each side.
Day #3
Remove the FWD panels and prepare the trim, you'll need to have spare replacement door fasteners on hand. Expect to break a few during the door removal process. I recommend that you purchase the following: a Dremel tool, a Tesla door fastener kit with trim removal tools (available on Amazon), PB plastic bond or Gorilla superglue (also on Amazon), C-clamps for trim bonding instead of tape (you can find these on Amazon too), and a flat head screwdriver.
Good luck with your ambient light project and enjoy your MX

Look how old this thread is. Keep waiting if you want, but most “Tesla influencers” are full of crap.

I have no doubt that S/X/Y will eventually get the ambient lighting as part of some kind of refresh, since the 3 and CT have it, but it could be years for all anyone actually knows.

In the meantime, as always, you can take the car apart like a Lego set and add in a bunch of janky stuff from AliExpress. Some of it isn’t too bad I guess, but to me with anything like this it’s either OEM integration or nothing.

Last edited: