Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ambient lighting in the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I am still waiting for my new Model S to arrive and I have a question about ambient lighting I haven't been able to resolve through Google. I'm hoping some existing owners can help to set my expectations correctly.

My understanding is that the new cars come with ambient lighting. But I'm not clear about exactly what that means. Is it LED strip lighting in the doors and dash like modern luxury cars have, or is it something else? Does it stay on for the whole time the car is on, or only at night, or does it turn itself off after a while when you're driving?

I realise I could just wait and see, but from the searching I have done, it looks like this has changed over time, and I'm not clear what to actually expect, so I wouldn't know if something was wrong or missing. I see some people have done DIY, I'm not really asking about that, I want to know what I should expect as standard for a newly delivered vehicle.

Thanks again!

I have the ambient lighting in my model S (from the factory)and it’s essentially a stop of lights beneath the armrests on the door. They are similar to what the new Merc’s have however you can’t change the colours on these. I’ll put some photos up for you when I get a chance.

• Helpful
Reactions: dalec
+1 what @Juhas2610 said - I have the same. It stays on at night when driving but it’s not particularly bright (I had a Merc before my Model S and the ambient lighting in that was more noticeable + was able to change colour).

In the Model S there are footwell lights (front and back), door puddle lights, and frunk and trunk lights. All of these are really dim - the LED ipgrade from Abstract Ocean is well worth it. Especially for the trunk lights; the factory ones are all but useless!

I think one improvement would be if the footwell lights stayed on (at reduced brightness) at night.

The touch screen and the instrument cluster provide significant ambiant lighting. If you want to have the tyre status on display and have a white car you may find it annoying as its a big bright light at night, but can be solved by asking tesla to show your car as black

I see this is an older thread, buy my May Model S does have ambient lighting.
There's a led strip in each door that shines down on the arm rest, and there's small lights in the foot well.
The armrests can be turned on in the menu (they then go on with the headlights), the foot ones only go on when you put it in park iirc.
They are white and you can only really see them when it's dark out.

Reactions: dalec
I see this is an older thread, buy my May Model S does have ambient lighting.
There's a led strip in each door that shines down on the arm rest, and there's small lights in the foot well.
The armrests can be turned on in the menu (they then go on with the headlights), the foot ones only go on when you put it in park iirc.
They are white and you can only really see them when it's dark out.
Do you know if these can be replaced with different colors?

Hi all, I am still waiting for my new Model S to arrive and I have a question about ambient lighting I haven't been able to resolve through Google. I'm hoping some existing owners can help to set my expectations correctly.

My understanding is that the new cars come with ambient lighting. But I'm not clear about exactly what that means. Is it LED strip lighting in the doors and dash like modern luxury cars have, or is it something else? Does it stay on for the whole time the car is on, or only at night, or does it turn itself off after a while when you're driving?

I realise I could just wait and see, but from the searching I have done, it looks like this has changed over time, and I'm not clear what to actually expect, so I wouldn't know if something was wrong or missing. I see some people have done DIY, I'm not really asking about that, I want to know what I should expect as standard for a newly delivered vehicle.

Thanks again!
Hi mate, congrats on your new S that's on the way. The S is what I wanted too but when I attempted to order last April they were already unavailable in RHD. How did you get yours?