Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AMD Ryzan speed comparison vs Intel Atom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wonder if it's partially a RAM issue.
Could also be a flash issue. Did tesla decided to upgrade the flash read / write speed?

This is really interesting. I don't understand why it takes so much time to launch an app.
Is the youtube app stored in flash? If so did Tesla previously decide to go super cheap with flash and use something with super slow read speed? In large quantities sometimes it only cost a dime to get flash with 2x read speed. In this example it looks like they upgraded the flash to something with 4x read speed. Perhaps in a few years we will get the 16x flash version. :p

Last edited:
Your phone probably has a better processor!
From wha I can tell, the Tesla had an Intel Atom E3950 running at 1.6 GHz. The Geekbench scores for this processor were 257 & 917 for single & multicore. For comparison, the Geekbench scores for the iPhone 11 with an A13 processor were 1334 & 3485

essentially A smartphone processor is 3-4x faster than the Intel Atom processor. Makes it pretty clear why Intel isn't considered a leader in processors any more!

From wha I can tell, the Tesla had an Intel Atom E3950 running at 1.6 GHz. The Geekbench scores for this processor were 257 & 917 for single & multicore. For comparison, the Geekbench scores for the iPhone 11 with an A13 processor were 1334 & 3485

essentially A smartphone processor is 3-4x faster than the Intel Atom processor. Makes it pretty clear why Intel isn't considered a leader in processors any more!
This can't be right. The car only allows to play YouTube when not in motion. Then why can't it use the computer that is used for FSD?

Web sites were far simpler 25 years ago. There’s a ton of programming and scripting on them now.
Of course they are, but under progress we mean improved performance.
Seriously Doc, if you were in charge of Tesla infotainment system and getting ready to show your achievements to Elon would you expect a bonus or be fired after he tried to launch an app and had to stare at the loading animation for 30-40 seconds.

Reactions: FOD11
Of course they are, but under progress we mean improved performance.
Seriously Doc, if you were in charge of Tesla infotainment system and getting ready to show your achievements to Elon would you expect a bonus or be fired after he tried to launch an app and had to stare at the loading animation for 30-40 seconds.
Well, looking at the current state of the UI, someone should be fired.

I think there're several things at play here. The amount of processing power needed to run web pages has increased drastically over the past several years. (I'll routinely have a web page take down my laptop.)

Web pages have become a primary use of a smart phone so a lot of effort has gone into making a good browser and a processor that can run it. If your smartphone can't load a web page in less than 30 seconds you're either getting a new phone or a new cellular provider. or both.

As I said, Teslas actually have several subsystems with separate processors. The multimedia system that runs the screen that you interact with is just one of these, it's just the one you see. The E3950 was introduced in 2016 so it's now 6 years old, making it senile in processor terms, especially considering that it was never a powerhouse to begin with. Tesla is of course updating to AMD processors now, but each update takes a significant amount of work for Tesla to ensure interoperability so they are not going to update annually like Apple or Samsung do.

Finally, for Tesla, the browser is more of an afterthought. It's an extra on the car, not a core function so there is not the emphasis placed on writing or updating the software. I haven't used the browser in my car so I have no idea if they simply ported Chrome or Firefox or if they wrote their own browser. If they wrote their own then that adds a whole level of development support. Right now I imagine most of their resources are being focused on FSD.

Two other points I thought of - Tesla is (to my knowledge) the first car that has had things like youtube, a web browser, etc. The average lifespan of a car is 10-15 years. Most cars never get any updates and virtually none actually get any hardware updates. Most people aren't happy with a 5 year old computer, much less a 15 year old computer. By adding these types of capabilities Tesla has set them self up for issues down the road.

Also, I don't know what the actual speed of the cellular connection is. I believe it's supplied by AT&T in the U.S. but Tesla likely has a contract with the provider and the connections may be limited as part of that contract.

$100 smartphone does better. I wish there was an upgrade option.