Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Andersen EV charger support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, one of the Andersen Developers / Directors will be smart enough to cut a deal with the Administrators to buy the rights to the App. They then could introduce a paywall to access.

£25 a year subscription to customers that could afford a premium charger is nothing. Nice little side hustle. Administrators get some cash / owners keep their device workings / developer gets revenue stream rather than statutory redundancy.

Losing access via the app doesn‘t really bother me. I only use the schedules as a belt and braces to prevent charging outside Octopus Go Faster times. I only started doing that when I noticed the 10% per hour of my Model 3 didn’t apply to the Y as it has a bigger battery I guess so I initially kept straying into peak electricity rates when using the scheduler in the car!

My bigger concern is for when things go wrong with the actual charger.

Reactions: Itidiot
Losing access via the app doesn‘t really bother me. I only use the schedules as a belt and braces to prevent charging outside Octopus Go Faster times. I only started doing that when I noticed the 10% per hour of my Model 3 didn’t apply to the Y as it has a bigger battery I guess so I initially kept straying into peak electricity rates when using the scheduler in the car!

My bigger concern is for when things go wrong with the actual charger.
Yes I guess will have to look into the settings on the car now for the charging schedule.

I had a 2020 charger and it just burnt out whilst charging after about 18 months, the new unit had been upgraded internals I believe so hopefully will last longer but I am thinking about turning it off at the fuse board when not in use to try and keep it lasting longer especially if the app isn't going to be working anyway.

Reactions: up_north
(mine has always been a bit iffy with connections despite the router only being a few feet away, so can’t really tell).
Having your WiFi antenna inside a metal box is never that effective.

Given the tooling all exists, hopefully someone takes them over and the physical devices live on, just with a more sustainable business model built around it.

What a shame, hope the 40 employees are quickly snapped up by other companies. Lots of companies are struggling to deal with supply chain issues, some due to global issues, some due to self-inflicted UK issues.
My 1st gen EO Mini charger app recently stopped working, and EO pointed me at their previous partner Enex which got nowhere, until after 2 weeks it was fixed and working again.
All this shows that we really ought to have some standard/open source for EV chargers so that customers can continue to access smart features without the original OEM, I don't feel that many manufacturers have clear long-term prospects, they are either small companies or larger and stretching their business into new areas. I guess that would also allow the like of Intelligent Octopus to control more chargers?

Someone on another forum posted that these guys were the original owners of Andersen. I've no idea when they sold up. First I'd heard of them was yesterday. Might be an option for those looking for a similar visual style.

Reactions: davidmc and Durzel
Losing the app access also means losing the ability to tell the charger to use 100% solar excess. I can set mine to charge the car purely on excess power that would otherwise be exported, and then back to 100% grid energy at night-time.

Ah well, maybe someone will be able to develop a local or HA integration before the long sunny days returns?

Losing the app access also means losing the ability to tell the charger to use 100% solar excess. I can set mine to charge the car purely on excess power that would otherwise be exported, and then back to 100% grid energy at night-time.

Ah well, maybe someone will be able to develop a local or HA integration before the long sunny days returns?
Mine‘s an early A2 which has no solar integration. I was thinking of changing it to their latest version for when we get our solar panels. Bullet dodged!

Reactions: Zakalwe
Someone on another forum posted that these guys were the original owners of Andersen. I've no idea when they sold up. First I'd heard of them was yesterday. Might be an option for those looking for a similar visual style.
Yes seems Anderson's ex director is the director of this Simpson Partners, Anderson was originally crowd funded and raised 588k, they then apparently didn't respond or post any updates to their funders.

I think I will be sticking to a cheap and simple charger next time.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and browellm
Yes seems Anderson's ex director is the director of this Simpson Partners, Anderson was originally crowd funded and raised 588k, they then apparently didn't respond or post any updates to their funders.

I think I will be sticking to a cheap and simple charger next time.
I'd be a little suspicious of this new company - only incorporated June 2021, and David Edward Simpson became director in April 2022 (along with the other directors). According to Companies House, David Edward Simpson is still an active director of Muller EV.
Companies House also list another David Simpson as director of Simpson & Partners, with a different director ID but the same month & year of birth (May '74) as David Edward Simpson.
It all smacks a little of "this company is buggered, let's start another one doing the same thing, but under a new name"

Reactions: Cardo and browellm
I'd be a little suspicious of this new company - only incorporated June 2021, and David Edward Simpson became director in April 2022 (along with the other directors). According to Companies House, David Edward Simpson is still an active director of Muller EV.
Companies House also list another David Simpson as director of Simpson & Partners, with a different director ID but the same month & year of birth (May '74) as David Edward Simpson.
It all smacks a little of "this company is buggered, let's start another one doing the same thing, but under a new name"
David Edward Simpson resigned as director from Muller on 22 December 2020.