Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anderson A2 Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having just pressed the button on my M3 order, my mind now turns to my list of other things I need to do.

As this my first EV, top of my list is a chargepoint at home.

My wife is concerned about getting a nice unit that does not have the unused cable looped around it looking untidy, as it will be placed on the front side of our house.

So far the only one that I can find that fits the bill is the Anderson A2 charger, its a bit pricey, but with the OLEV grant we could get it.

2 questions for come to mind:

1) Has anyone any experience they could share with the Anderson A2 charger and the Model 3 that they could share?
2) Are there any other tethered chargers on the market that conceal the tethered charging cable when not being used that we could also consider?

thanks in advance :)

I have an Andersen A2.

It looks nice. It works fine as a dumb charger. I have never managed to get the app to connect to it to play with the "smart" features, not that I particularly need them.

The front panel of mine was damaged when it arrived (some scratches and bubbles on the paint), and several weeks later I'm still waiting for them to resolve this. Pretty poor customer service.

Also there's a light inside that turns on when you open the top flap to remove or replace the head of the charger cable. This light has stopped working. Maybe it's just a bulb needing replaced. I'll be reporting this to them next week.

Last edited:
Still approx 12+ week lead time on the A2 unit - exactly as they advertise.
- Dec ordered, end of Feb delivery/install.

To your questions:
1) Still waiting on the car so can't comment unfortunately
2) After doing extensive research on the charger units available in the UK, when it comes to cable management and not overly 'advertising' you have a charger on the side of your home (unlike most exposed chargers and ignoring the fact you've got a big fat car on the drive) the Andersen unit does itself justive in keep relatively discrete, both for aesthetics and general cable management.

The app connectivity to the A2 has been 'reported' to be a bit twitchy (not had the issue yet) but if you've not had your unit installed, then you can request to have a physical double-pole breaker switch installed (inside the property) to turn off the power to it - only useful for the paranoid and folk that want to stop others taking the oppurtunity to soak energy when you're away from the house, but never hurts to have easily accessible options.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: Andrew_SE23
Nothing really comes close to the Andersen for aesthetics. They have a captive market at the moment, most other chargers look.. well.. like chargers. Plasticky, or untethered.

I’ve had an A2 since November and aside from the light function being reversed when I first got it (light came on when top flap closed) it’s been great.

I’ve never had a problem with the app and it’s easy enough to lock and unlock it whenever you want, or do it on a schedule as I do (to use Octopus Go).

The only real complaint is the price, you pay a king’s random for ultimately the same behaviour as charge points that cost less than a 1/3 as much.

Nothing really comes close to the Andersen for aesthetics. They have a captive market at the moment, most other chargers look.. well.. like chargers. Plasticky, or untethered.

I’ve had an A2 since November and aside from the light function being reversed when I first got it (light came on when top flap closed) it’s been great.

I’ve never had a problem with the app and it’s easy enough to lock and unlock it whenever you want, or do it on a schedule as I do (to use Octopus Go).

The only real complaint is the price, you pay a king’s random for ultimately the same behaviour as charge points that cost less than a 1/3 as much.

Thanks Durzel - thats very helpful - I too am in the process of switching to Octopus Go.

We do have the option of putting a charger on the side of the house, slightly out of view, where a cheaper one might do the job, however, as we have a double spaced car drive our thoughts are that we should get a nicer one on the front of the house central in the drive that could easily reach both vehicles as and when my wife updates to an EV in a few years time (at the end of her current PCP)

Thinking best to think long term and invest in the right unit now.

We're going to make a decision on Sunday... the 12 week lead time means we need to act quick for the Andersen option.

Durzel,

I see on an earlier forum that the Andersen unit also had lots of fuss last year concerning Ethernet or wifi connection, where they were trying to push ethernet on customers. Can I ask which way yours was connected and whether you had any issues?

We have a mesh network with a strong reliable signal in the house, driveway and where the Tesla will be, so don't think wifi should be an issue for us if available.

Also, when they install are the power cables from the fuse box to the unit concealed - i.e. wired through the wall on the inside of the house, or do they attach the cable to the outside of the wall so cabling is visible from outside?

All the promotional material suggests the former... but would like to know your experience!

Durzel,

I see on an earlier forum that the Andersen unit also had lots of fuss last year concerning Ethernet or wifi connection, where they were trying to push ethernet on customers. Can I ask which way yours was connected and whether you had any issues?

We have a mesh network with a strong reliable signal in the house, driveway and where the Tesla will be, so don't think wifi should be an issue for us if available.

Also, when they install are the power cables from the fuse box to the unit concealed - i.e. wired through the wall on the inside of the house, or do they attach the cable to the outside of the wall so cabling is visible from outside?

All the promotional material suggests the former... but would like to know your experience!

Had some of the same questions.

Cabling can be either on the outside of the property or trunking/cabling on the inside so that the box is completely flush and neat - purely down to your preference and location of unit in comparison to your fusesboards/electrics.

WiFi all the way in my record with the A2 surveyor work - never had a single mention of Ethernet.

We have had an Andersen unit for nearly a year now, firstly for my wife's Kona but now my Model 3.

It has performed without trouble so far, nothing to report.

Got to agree with previous posters that aesthetically there really is no comparison. Cables out of the way, even the charging head is kept behind a flap. The unit is also all metal which gives a great solid feel to the unit.

It also does 3 phase and we have this nearby so I might convert it later this year. I believe the model 3 will AC charge at 11kw?
It is expensive and i've no idea about the customer service - everything about the install was very straightforward.

For the unit itself, I guess you get what you pay for.

Durzel,

Mine uses wireless. Before the Andersen turned up I had installed an external access point that covers the drive as the house Wi-Fi wasn’t particularly strong out there, but if you have a decent enough signal it’ll be fine.

They may have been pushing Ethernet, and may still recommend it for stability, but I don’t think the unit has ever not had Wi-Fi capability, so don’t worry there. My installer did the setup on Wi-Fi and it was easy (choose network, enter password, etc)

In terms of the power cable - this will entirely depend on the skill and attention to detail of the installer. If you order one some time later you’ll be asked to provide photos and maybe a video of where it’s going to be installed, where the meter is, the route to the installation location, etc. Be clear with then that you want the power cables hidden. The A2 power goes into the back of the unit so there is no reason other than time and expense that the power cable can’t be hidden.

Any half decent installer of any charge point ought to make as much of the power cable hidden as possible.

In all other respects than price I can definitely recommend the Andersen. It is well made, solid, and aesthetically pleasing on the front of your house. When not in use everything that gives it away as a charger is hidden, including the connector as said above. The system to unwind and wind the cable off is simple and quick, it even has brushes on the sides to clean the cable as you put it back in. You definitely feel the quality.

The dilemma really is not that the A2 is overpriced, it’s that there isn’t really anything else that compares aesthetics wise. You won’t be disappointed if you bought one, whereas you might if you just get a regular charger that sticks out on your house.

Last edited:
That’s really helpful - thanks for your replies. :)

I have the Anderson A2, looks great, cable management is near prefect, especially the brush seals that clean the cable off a bit as you coil it round.

I deleted the pretty hopeless app and use third party stuff to control charging/battery prep etc.

Works off our WiFi network but I did stick a mesh node nearby for this and the car to talk to

That’s really helpful - thanks for your replies. :)

Just to add that the wifi capabilities of the car itself are not exactly stellar ... though essential. This means you have to optimise your wifi signal for you drive anyway so you kill two birds with one stone. Hopefully your own current set up will be fine as it stands but I had to put an access point about 10ft away from the car with only a thin wooden garage door in the way ... it now has a reliable signal but still not maximum bars on the car screen indicator (though every other mobile device gets full signal in the same location).

I have the Andersen and it works great, no issues at all.

The Wifi connection on it is very strong to the AP inside the house. The new Model S parked beside the charger was so useless at connecting to the same AP that I put an AP on the outside wall of the house (don't worry it was a Unifi one which comes with a fake wood cover so it fits in).

Andersen as I understand it are re-working their app to add loads more features. I already see how much each charge costs and lifetime cost etc and you can schedule charging with it.

The cable storage within the unit works really well and it looks neat.

But none of that really matters, what matters is I don't have a big black/white plastic box with blue flashing lights attached to my nice Edwardian house. I like it so much I have just ordered another for EV No. 2.

But none of that really matters, what matters is I don't have a big black/white plastic box with blue flashing lights attached to my nice Edwardian house. I like it so much I have just ordered another for EV No. 2.

I fancy having a charge point inside an old style petrol pump casing so it looks like you are pumping fuel! I'm surprised nobody offers that option (I'll now duck to avoid things being thrown at me ... :D)

• Funny
Reactions: Florafauna
I'm right with you on that. I very nearly built an old pump arm that could be swung out over the car, just like I remember from the old days but yet to find any images of.

Check out this beautifully restored Art Deco garage in Sussex that is now residential ... the pumps are where people park .. perfect for EV adaptation!
artdeco.jpg

We're going to make a decision on Sunday... the 12 week lead time means we need to act quick for the Andersen option.

To update.... We've decided to go ahead with Andersen, but are going to hold off on an order at the moment purely because of potential issues of delivery timing and the OLEV grant.

Andersen are now quoting a reduced 8 week lead time on the A2 unit.. which means, should my car miss Q1 deliveries and come in June, I could be outside of the 4 month OLEV time frame and cost me a further £500.

As such I'm going to wait a little longer before ordering... just in case...

Reactions: madcal and Durzel